Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac to iMac w/ crossover cable

iMac to iMac w/ crossover cable
MGK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2002, 09:13 AM

Help!

Just got a new iMac G4 and want to transfer files from my iMac DV via ethernet crossover. Is it as simple as turning on file sharing on both machines and connecting the cabe?

Will the G4 be able to "see" the DV which is running 8.6??

Thanks.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Mar 2, 2002, 10:09 AM

You would be better off using a firewire cable and firewire disk mode. It would be much faster.
Plug in the cable to both and while starting one hold down the T key. It will appear as a hard drive on the desktop of the other.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2002, 10:14 AM

You would be better off using a firewire cable and firewire disk mode. It would be much faster.
Plug in the cable to both and while starting one hold down the T key. It will appear as a hard drive on the desktop of the other.
Will this method present any problems with permissions or priveleges? I like to keep folders on two Macs up to date, and copying my personal folder (in my users folder) over to my iBook, for example, creates problems where the iBook won't let me alter the folder due to priveleges. This is when I'm using the Ethernet/networking method.
Also, could you explain the disk mode method (firewire)?

abo
Mar 2, 2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by dmcnickle:
<STRONG>You would be better off using a firewire cable and firewire disk mode. It would be much faster.
Plug in the cable to both and while starting one hold down the T key. It will appear as a hard drive on the desktop of the other.</STRONG>
Thank you very much for this! I was having the same problem with a recently purchased iMac 800 and an iBook2. The firewire cable did the trick.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2002, 03:04 PM

I thought with Mac's made in the past couple of years didn't need crossover cables as the port was auto sensing and would accommodate a regular cable.

Anywho, Firewire target mode would be MUCH faster and better.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

NewsHound
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2002, 04:59 PM

I've been trying to figure this out, too. I'm trying to link my new G4 iMac with my old 233 iMac using a crossover cable -- no firewire on the old iMac. Anyway, the old iMac can "see" the new iMac, and I can log in and transfer files. But the new iMac does not recognize the old one. I've got AppleTalk and filesharing running on both. The old iMac uses OS 9.1. The new one is in 10.1.2. Any thoughts?

-NewsHound
Exit, pursued by a bear.
--'The Winter's Tale,' Shakespeare

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by nigeljedi:
<STRONG>

Will this method present any problems with permissions or priveleges? I like to keep folders on two Macs up to date, and copying my personal folder (in my users folder) over to my iBook, for example, creates problems where the iBook won't let me alter the folder due to priveleges. This is when I'm using the Ethernet/networking method.</STRONG>
Don't know - give it a try.

<STRONG>
Also, could you explain the disk mode method (firewire)?</STRONG>
It's called Target Disk Mode. Connect the two machines with a firewire cable. Turn on one machine. Then turn on the other machine (the target disk) while holding the "T" down on its keyboard. A Firewire symbol should show up on its screen, and its hard drive should mount on the desktop of the first machine. You can then move stuff to and from either machine's drive as you please.

When you're done, be sure to unmount the target disk by dragging it to the trash BEFORE you shut down either machine.

MGK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2002, 01:14 AM

Okay, it has been a long, long, day, for me and my G4, but here's what I found out:

File transfer between the iMac G4 and my iMac DV 400 can be done by firewire or ethernet crossover cabe. HOWEVER, to do target disk mode requires my DV 400 to use OS 9 and I currently run 8.6. The necessary firmware and firewire extentions require OS 9. So, after calling Apple, I rebooted the G4 in OS9, then used the ethernet crossover cable to transfer files from the DV running 8.6. I placed them in the USERS folder, then rebooted into X. This worked with my mp3's, my favorites from my web browser, and Apple Works documets. As of this writing, I haven't tried transferring my address book from Outlook Express. Personally, Ethernet was fast enough for me.

Hope this helps someone.

abo
Mar 3, 2002, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by MGK:
<STRONG>Okay, it has been a long, long, day, for me and my G4, but here's what I found out:

File transfer between the iMac G4 and my iMac DV 400 can be done by firewire or ethernet crossover cabe. HOWEVER, to do target disk mode requires my DV 400 to use OS 9 and I currently run 8.6. The necessary firmware and firewire extentions require OS 9. So, after calling Apple, I rebooted the G4 in OS9, then used the ethernet crossover cable to transfer files from the DV running 8.6. I placed them in the USERS folder, then rebooted into X. This worked with my mp3's, my favorites from my web browser, and Apple Works documets. As of this writing, I haven't tried transferring my address book from Outlook Express. Personally, Ethernet was fast enough for me.

Hope this helps someone.</STRONG>
Thanks, but doesn't it kinda suck that you have to reboot the G4 in OS 9? Does anyone know how to do this without rebooting the machines, ie leaving one machine in OS X and the other in OS 9 (the firewire solution also requires you to reboot the disk machine...)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2002, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by abo:
<STRONG>

Thanks, but doesn't it kinda suck that you have to reboot the G4 in OS 9? Does anyone know how to do this without rebooting the machines, ie leaving one machine in OS X and the other in OS 9 (the firewire solution also requires you to reboot the disk machine...)</STRONG>
There should be no reason not to use OS X with OS 9 in target disk mode. It shouldn't make a bit of difference. As far as cross over cables go, all machines since the iBook 500/600 revision automatically provide cross over functionality; you can use regular cables as long as one machine is new; the other machine can be old. Finally, concerning permissions issues, you shouldn't have any if you have identically named accounts on both machines.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MGK  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2002, 09:48 AM

<STRONG>

Thanks, but doesn't it kinda suck that you have to reboot the G4 in OS 9? Does anyone know how to do this without rebooting the machines, ie leaving one machine in OS X and the other in OS 9 (the firewire solution also requires you to reboot the disk machine...)</STRONG>

Well, I wasn't about to upgrade to OS 9 on my DV just so I could transfer files. So, for me, while a minor annoyance, this was acceptable, especially since the files transfer over to OS X anyway.

Your mileage may vary.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2002, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
<STRONG>

It's called Target Disk Mode. Connect the two machines with a firewire cable. Turn on one machine. Then turn on the other machine (the target disk) while holding the "T" down on its keyboard. A Firewire symbol should show up on its screen, and its hard drive should mount on the desktop of the first machine. You can then move stuff to and from either machine's drive as you please.

When you're done, be sure to unmount the target disk by dragging it to the trash BEFORE you shut down either machine.</STRONG>
I learn more stuff here by accident then by design! Thanks for this goddamn cool tip!

Camelot
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 10:43 PM

<STRONG>

The ethernet crossover cable method doesn't require a reboot on either system. Only the FireWire Target Disk Mode does since it changes the operation of one of the computers.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by NewsHound:
<STRONG>I've been trying to figure this out, too. I'm trying to link my new G4 iMac with my old 233 iMac using a crossover cable -- no firewire on the old iMac. Anyway, the old iMac can "see" the new iMac, and I can log in and transfer files. But the new iMac does not recognize the old one. I've got AppleTalk and filesharing running on both. The old iMac uses OS 9.1. The new one is in 10.1.2. Any thoughts?

-NewsHound</STRONG>
Check out my reply at the following URL

If you have BrickHouse of some other firewall up on your X computer, you will have trouble with the computer on 9 seeing the computer on X. There are ways to configure the firewall to allow the other computer to see the X machine, but you do have to fiddle with the configuration.

By the way, I like your signature
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

mbatech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2002, 04:08 AM

Where can I purchase online a ethernet crossover cable?

Stoopid
Mar 20, 2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by mbatech:
<STRONG>Where can I purchase online a ethernet crossover cable?</STRONG>
everywhere. Radioshack, staples, office depot, any computer store.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2002, 02:18 AM

Well, I bought a Firewire cable and did the Target Disk method...works great. Very fast, and no sharing or IP address junk to mess with.
Thanks for the tips!

Forum Links
Forum Rules