Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Booting off Ext. HD using SuperDuper?

Booting off Ext. HD using SuperDuper?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 12:45 AM

I just got a 500gb external hard drive and I made a 60gb partition for booting via Disk Utility and used SuperDuper! to clone my startup drive to the partition.

After about an hour and fifteen minutes, it said it was done with everything including making it bootable (last step). But after changing my startup drive to the new external hard drive and restarting there is a folder and a question mark for a second and then it starts up with my internal hard drive as usual.

What am I doing wrong? I am using Firewire and a Powerbook G4. I tried CarbonCopyCloner but it ended the same way. Question mark+folder.
iamwhor3hay

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 05:11 PM

What kind of external hard drive is it? As I understand it, drives with the "one-touch backup" button aren't bootable. I have some plain Acomdata firewire drives that boot fine. How is the drive connected?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2006, 03:37 AM

you might want to upgrade to the newest trelease of superdouper - released in the last day or so, if you haven't already. They say that they have removed the 'make bootable' button for those drives it is certain cannot be booted from. It might give you some clarity.

If it's helpful I use a Lacie ext HD and it works great, bootable reliable etc.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules