Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Reasons and locking threads..

Reasons and locking threads..
Kevin
Baninated
Jun 22, 2007, 07:55 PM

Not many threads get locked, but when they do a mod/admin would give a reason for doing so. Which of course is courteous and shows their professionalism.

Why would someone lock a thread and not make a statement as to why it was locked? Esp when there was no rule breaking going on, and it was a serious question?

Isn't this what this part of the forum is for after all?

I think if a mod or admin locks a thread, a valid reason should atleast be applied to it. If nothing out of professionalism.

Plus it stop threads like this from being posted.

Cold Warrior
Jun 22, 2007, 08:01 PM

Agreed. Written reasons are a lot like judicial opinions and establishing precedent. The mods help establish institutional memory and consistent rules when they give their reasons for locking, editing, or deleting something.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 08:12 PM

Not to mention that it would restore my faith in the mods as the world's last bastion of independent will and judiciary restraint.

God bless America.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 08:28 PM

Professionalism seems to imply that we're paying them…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Jun 22, 2007, 08:58 PM

I'm wondering what thread you are referring to … if it's the zombie thread in the Lounge (iPod engraving suggestions), it was me who has closed it. Since there were some loathing comments that one shouldn't really revive zombies, I figured it wasn't necessary to give an explanation.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 09:41 PM

Can we unlock my Patrick Swayze thread?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2007, 09:59 PM

I locked it Kevin.

It seems like every time I turn around, you're complaining about something or somebody. It never stops. And it gets a little old after several years.

I'll tell you what I think most of you need to hear;

If you have an issue with a Moderator/Admin over a decision they've made, send them a private message first. Don't come running into the Feedback forum to complain about it off the bat. There isn't a one of us who'll not level with you on why we did what through a private message.

Quit crying wolf Kevin.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Rumor
Jun 22, 2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I locked it Kevin.

It seems like every time I turn around, you're complaining about something or somebody. It never stops. And it gets a little old after several years.

If you have an issue with a Moderator/Admin over a decision they've made, send them a private message first. Don't come running into the Feedback forum to complain about it off the bat. There isn't a one of us who'll not level with you on why we did what through a private message.

Quit crying wolf Kevin.
Completely valid point. However, how are we to know who locked a thread if they do make it known that they did?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2007, 10:13 PM

The chain of events goes;

Lateralus locks Lounge thread > Kevin complains in Feedback > Lateralus locks Kevin's Feedback thread > Kevin creates another thread in Feedback to complain about first thread in Feedback having been locked.

The funniest thing (and it seems to be common) is that Kevin had no vested interest in the initial thread in the Lounge. It wasn't until it was locked that his Complain-dar went off.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Railroader
Banned
Jun 23, 2007, 01:11 AM

Lateralus locks Lounge thread > Kevin complains in Feedback > Lateralus locks Kevin's Feedback thread > Kevin creates another thread in Feedback to complain about first thread in Feedback having been locked.

The funniest thing (and it seems to be common) is that Kevin had no vested interest in the initial thread in the Lounge. It wasn't until it was locked that his Complain-dar went off.
You know, and here's a crazy idea... just because someone doesn't post in a thread doesn't mean they aren't interested in the discussion. Maybe, just maybe, they just haven't formed their thoughts enough to post.

Just a thought.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 01:33 AM

Ibl!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 01:49 AM

OK so I saw bessy's reply before I logged in, and, regarding his post, i have to say:

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 01:55 AM

My name is besson3c.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2007, 08:22 AM

If you have an issue with a Moderator/Admin over a decision they've made, send them a private message first. Don't come running into the Feedback forum to complain about it off the bat.
Well it is the feedback forum is it not

disclaimer: I haven't read the thread in question.
I have not read the thread but I have started seeing threads being locked w/o any mods/admins posting a reason so is it not unreasonable to ask here in the feedback forum especially when you're not sure who closed it.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 09:03 AM

I locked it Kevin.

Lateralus and every time I turn around you are complaining about someone complaining. Not that this thread was about you Lateralus. I am referring to all mods/admins in general. No need to be so defensive. Ok? Again, I am not singling you out.

Most of my complaints are complaints that have been made for years yes. Not only by me. But other members as well.

This isn't the first thread were I and others have made requesting mods atleast have the decency of giving a reason for something being locked. It seems like the only ones that don't are threads people are going "Huh, why was that locked..." so the leaving out a reason sends out the msg "No reason just wanted it locked"

Anyhow, for some reason people come to me to complain about this board or the happening in it as if I can do something about it. Either because the mods aren't listening, or because they know I am not shy about posting down my opinion. But I shouldn't be getting these msg's. The fact I am shows there is something going wrong in the chain of command.

This isn't about ONE thread. Or ONE Mod. (Unless only one Mod is doing the lock without reason deal)

If you have an issue with a Moderator/Admin over a decision they've made, send them a private message first.
Again, this thread isn't just about you. Why you are taking this so personally is beyond me. And how is one supposed to know who locked it if there is no reason given? :/
Don't come running into the Feedback forum to complain about it off the bat. There isn't a one of us who'll not level with you on why we did what through a private message.
I am not going to private msg in and ever admin or mod asking them to do this. That's just obnoxious. Plus putting it here lets others add their thoughts. After all this IS what this part of the forum is for.
Quit crying wolf Kevin.
Quit belittling regulars for having valid complaints.
( Last edited by Kevin; Jun 23, 2007 at 09:45 AM. )

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Completely valid point.
Not valid at all because he assumed and his assumptions were wrong. So the point he made was invalid.
However, how are we to know who locked a thread if they do make it known that they did?
Exactly. I had no idea who locked what.n Who was I supposed to msg?

More wrong assumptions. I would stop while your foot is only half-way in.

AGAIN I repeat. This thread isn't about Lateralus's actions. This thread is about mods/admins in general that lock threads without giving a valid reason.

Something people have been complaining about FOR A LONG TIME. Something most all admin/mods do. Some do not for some odd reason.

Why should a mod/admin have a problem with having to do such a thing if their closing of said thread was legit?

They shouldn't.
( Last edited by Kevin; Jun 23, 2007 at 09:42 AM. )

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You know, and here's a crazy idea... just because someone doesn't post in a thread doesn't mean they aren't interested in the discussion. Maybe, just maybe, they just haven't formed their thoughts enough to post.

Just a thought.
Actually the thread wasn't open that long. I don't come as much as I used to. I wanted to reply to it but could not. So yeah not that it mattered if I posted or not. Me having an opinion it shouldn't have been closed would still be as valid.

Talk about crying wolf. .

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Well on the same token, no one is MAKING them be admins/mods. If you are going to take the position atleast walk the walk.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2007, 10:57 AM

Or that people take pride in what they do. I volunteer my time in a number of capacities and I choose to comport myself with the upmost professionalism - even though I don't get paid.

I'm not saying the mods are not doing that just pointing out that you don't need to get paid to act professional.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 11:06 AM

I call it part of just being a decent human being.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2007, 12:51 PM

Why do you guys have to whine so much whenever a thread gets locked? Every time, you have to post something in Feedback complaining about the mods.

Has it ever occurred to you that the mods don't need to always say why they're locking a thread because anyone can tell just by reading it why it was locked? It's pretty obvious to me. It should be obvious to anyone who's following the thread.

If you're talking about the thread discussing the girl who got her feet cut off, then I don't see why anyone needs an explanation. Things were starting to get out of hand and instead of allowing a huge rant-fest, the thread was locked.

If you guys want a detailed explanation even when it's sitting right there in front of you, for every single locked thread, then you're insulting yourselves and your own poor comprehension skills.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Or that people take pride in what they do.
That's not what's being requested here. The pride they take in their work isn't really the question. They're just being asked to suck up more to people who complain.
Chuck
___

Rumor
Jun 23, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not valid at all because he assumed and his assumptions were wrong. So the point he made was invalid.
Before you go wildly swinging, read my post again. I probably should have made it a bit more clear, but the valid point was sending a message to a mod/admin that locks a thread. Then there was the however part which agrees with what you are trying to put across.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Why do you guys have to whine so much whenever a thread gets locked? Every time, you have to post something in Feedback complaining about the mods.
hyperbole. I am not complaining about threads being locked in this thread BTW.
Has it ever occurred to you that the mods don't need to always say why they're locking a thread because anyone can tell just by reading it why it was locked? It's pretty obvious to me. It should be obvious to anyone who's following the thread.
What thread are you referring to? Point it out to me.
If you're talking about the thread discussing the girl who got her feet cut off, then I don't see why anyone needs an explanation. Things were starting to get out of hand and instead of allowing a huge rant-fest, the thread was locked.
Thats why YOU think it was locked. And I am not complaining about that thread in this thread. This isn't what this thread is about.
If you guys want a detailed explanation even when it's sitting right there in front of you, for every single locked thread, then you're insulting yourselves and your own poor comprehension skills.
You being pretentiously condescending about the matter doesn't help things. You haven't even been paying attention to this thread. And you are belittling us for something "right in front of us"
That's not what's being requested here. The pride they take in their work isn't really the question. They're just being asked to suck up more to people who complain.
No, no, that isn't what is going on at all Chuckit, and you are being intellectually dishonest. Since you cannot attack my reasoning, you make ad-hominems.

If your rant was so just you'd not have to revert to such shenanigans.
Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Before you go wildly swinging
Come on Rumor, no one was wildly swinging. You just didn't make yourself clear. No need to attempt to belittle me in the process of saying...
I probably should have made it a bit more clear
Probably.
but the valid point was sending a message to a mod/admin that locks a thread. Then there was the however part which agrees with what you are trying to put across.
Well you can't send a message to a mod when you don't know who locked the post. As has been pointed out. Something Lat ignored when pointed out.

So how does one find out why a thread was locked where there is no indication of the mod who locked it? Who are we supposed to msg? We can't.

So we make threads like this one.

I surely didn't think I was going to get the attacking melodramatic replies I got. Thats for sure.
( Last edited by Kevin; Jun 23, 2007 at 08:04 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 09:07 PM

This is hyperbole and projection.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

This is hyperbole and projection.
Or a cry for attention eh bessy?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2007, 10:18 PM

<PERSONAL OPINION AS A MACNN USER>
I think it's a means of saying "this is a lot of fuss over not much at all."
</PERSONAL OPINION AS A MACNN USER>

<OFFICIAL>Threads have no guaranteed lifespan. If members get unruly, a thread can be locked. If a discussion runs its course and then devolves into uselessness, it can be locked. If a thread is started for some really asinine reason ("See what a great guy I am!" and such), I have absolutely no problem with locking it FAST.

We as moderators have to balance what the discussion is about, how the participants are behaving, and whether there's anything meaningful or useful going on in the thread. Most of the time, I leave everything (except spam!) alone unless someone complains, but then, I'm only primarily responsible for very technical forums, not the Lounge.

Lounge threads take someone who could manage being a Marine DI because frankly a lot of people who post in the Lounge need some serious direction. Some of our Lounge posters behave worse than a four-year-old on a regular basis. This means that a lot of Lounge threads turn into poo pretty quickly.</OFFICIAL>

<PERSONAL OPINION AGAIN>So would you rather have "pride of authorship" for posts in a thread that has turned into pureed poo, or would you rather that we don't waste server space and YOUR bandwidth on drivel? That's a harsh decision point, but that's what it comes down to in my opinion.</PERSONAL OPINION AGAIN>

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
hyperbole…intellectually dishonest…ad-hominems…
Bingo!
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 01:04 AM

At this point, if I were a mod I'd be so tempted to anonymously lock this just for irony's sake.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
<PERSONAL OPINION AS A MACNN USER>
I think it's a means of saying "this is a lot of fuss over not much at all."
</PERSONAL OPINION AS A MACNN USER>

<OFFICIAL>Threads have no guaranteed lifespan. If members get unruly, a thread can be locked. If a discussion runs its course and then devolves into uselessness, it can be locked. If a thread is started for some really asinine reason ("See what a great guy I am!" and such), I have absolutely no problem with locking it FAST.

We as moderators have to balance what the discussion is about, how the participants are behaving, and whether there's anything meaningful or useful going on in the thread. Most of the time, I leave everything (except spam!) alone unless someone complains, but then, I'm only primarily responsible for very technical forums, not the Lounge.

Lounge threads take someone who could manage being a Marine DI because frankly a lot of people who post in the Lounge need some serious direction. Some of our Lounge posters behave worse than a four-year-old on a regular basis. This means that a lot of Lounge threads turn into poo pretty quickly.</OFFICIAL>

<PERSONAL OPINION AGAIN>So would you rather have "pride of authorship" for posts in a thread that has turned into pureed poo, or would you rather that we don't waste server space and YOUR bandwidth on drivel? That's a harsh decision point, but that's what it comes down to in my opinion.</PERSONAL OPINION AGAIN>
Yes you guys can and will lock topics as you see fit. And users will continue to question said locks.

And people will still complain about people complaining until they have something to complain about themselves, then it's valid and "not like that person's complaint" therefore should be treated seriously

It's what makes the world go around.

I was actually talking about just giving a reason why such thing is locked.That is all. I was told if I had a problem with a lock, to msg the mod and not make these threads. Well when a mod locks thread without posting and giving no reason (What I am complaining about in this thread...) one can hardy msg that mod can they?

So what is the solution?

My only thoughts on why a mod would want to do such a thing is that said mod gets lots of complaints about said locks, so said mods just lock topics without it being traced back to them. Which is telling the regulars "I don't like being a mod, but still want my mod status so I can lock topics that I don't like"

Mods getting upset over regulars even QUESTIONING a lock is ridiculous.

Either the mods are perfect, and every locked thread is legit.

OR

The mods are human and sometimes make mistakes too. And sometimes threads are locked when they shouldn't really have been.

Now it's either one of the two. If it's the first, then we have NO reason to question a lock. If it's the latter then questioning them is just being ... human.

BTW this was brought up many times before. And we were told by the admins that they would "try their best" to give a reason for every lock.

Some haven't even began to start trying.
( Last edited by Kevin; Jun 24, 2007 at 06:51 AM. )

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2007, 08:19 AM

Bingo!
The sad part is Chuckit, If those things weren't going on I wouldn't have to use the words.
( Last edited by Kevin; Jun 24, 2007 at 01:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules