Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can Time Machine help with Mail, Contacts, Calendar?

Can Time Machine help with Mail, Contacts, Calendar?
kevs
Mac Elite
May 28, 2016, 08:24 PM

How does one retrieve lost emails, contact or calendar events? Is this hard to do?

To test, I just opened these three apps in TM, and with mail, nothing works, I only see inbox with same amount of messages for all dates, and the message is this large font text, very odd. No folders are there in TM

In Contacts, no cards.

Calendar, nothing at all.

How would one retrieve an old email or contact that was discarded then? Maybe this is not too intuitive?

Ham Sandwich
May 30, 2016, 06:20 PM

Are these saved through iCloud? If so, then you may need to see if there are other methods, perhaps this will give you some ideas:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2016, 08:02 PM

I don't have an emergency now, but am curious if anyone here has restored a single contact or email with time machine.

I'm on a desktop with icloud, so I assume everything is in mobile documents with versioned states, but it's super complicated to restore...? that's why I'm asking/ posting.

ibook_steve
May 31, 2016, 01:27 PM

If you're set up with iCloud, you don't need to worry about restoring a particular file. All that info is stored in the cloud and synced with the Contacts and Calendars apps. You can go to icloud.com and log in to see all your info in the web apps.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 31, 2016, 02:59 PM

Thanks Steve? Let' say you deleted someone from contacts a year ago, or deleted an email a year ago, could you find that..?

ibook_steve
Jun 1, 2016, 02:14 PM

Probably not. But I can't remember the last time I deleted a contact. As for email, it's pretty easy for me to decide to delete an email that has no useful info going forward.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2016, 02:45 PM

Well it's pretty rare for me too. What you are saying is if you need all your calendar, email, contacts restored there is a way through TM to get that back in whole, but piecemeal, one email or contact is hard?

Forum Links
Forum Rules