Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Has anyone smoked any of the 'legal hebal blends?'

Has anyone smoked any of the 'legal hebal blends?'
kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 04:10 PM

Has anyone smoked any of the legal herbal blends? If so, what has been your experience?

EDIT: Erased a condition for posting.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 04:43 PM

What is a legal herbal blend?

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What is a legal herbal blend?
Google it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 04:51 PM

Hmmm...

Somehow doubt it's better than the illegal variety.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 05:04 PM

Hmmm...
Somehow doubt it's better than the illegal variety.
But the fact that it isn't illegal but it gives you a pot-like high should make one curious to try it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 05:36 PM

Yes and no.

Ironically, I think there's a safety issue.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 06:04 PM

Reminds me of the inflated threat demonstrated by the classic 1930's film, "Reefer Madness."

But, assuming for a moment the health hazards you speak of are real, I've heard that some of the young people who've been reported to have OD'd were just plain stupid. They smoked the stuff like they'd smoke regular pot. But what they didn't know was that some of these legal herbal blends are super potent one-hit varieties. To smoke an entire joint would certainly send them reeling.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 08:06 PM

That's what I mean. Who knows what's in there? Pot is going to be, for the most part, pot.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 08:18 PM

That's what I mean. Who knows what's in there? Pot is going to be, for the most part, pot.
If I worried about that sort of thing all through the years I'd have never done any drugs at all EXCEPT for pot and pot only.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 08:30 PM

Well, shit.

If we're going to take risks, let's get a couple 8-balls or something.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 08:38 PM

Well, shit.
If we're going to take risks, let's get a couple 8-balls or something.
We all make decisions about where the line is drawn. 8 balls is over my line because it is illegal and addictive and potentially deadly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by kimosABE View Post
We all make decisions about where the line is drawn.
On a mirror works well.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2012, 09:49 PM

On a mirror works well.
Clever. Very clever. But not my thing.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 12:54 AM

I don't recall smoking any 'legal highs' but I do recall trying one or two in my youth. Did nothing for me whatsoever.

As for whats in your drugs, anything powdered is likely to have baking soda or talc in it but has been found on the streets with substances as pleasant as glass powder.
Ecstasy pills are another lottery and these days tend to have very little of the active ingredient MDMA in them. Ketamine is commonly found, usually indicated by brownish speckles in the pill or so I'm told.
As mentioned, pot is generally safe enough if you go for the green variety. You shouldn't get anything worse than insecticide, though that could obviously be bad. The solid resin form can contain all sorts of crap as the cheap stuff is often made in skips in Africa and they tend to throw empty refuse sacks, car tyres and manure and whatever is to hand in there to bulk it out.

I've never been a fan of class As. I tried a couple of pills here and there a long time ago and they don't really agree with me. It probably doesn't help that I'm a metalhead not a raver. I don't even smoke weed anymore.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2012, 01:46 AM

Yes. Don't waste your time I ordered some "Maui" from herbal smoke shop several years ago (mainly because of the price compared to the real stuff) but it was totally ineffective. I remember finding out later that depite all the online shops, they are in fact all the same under a different name. It's hard to get "real" reviews because of all the spam but the few I read all said it was not effective.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I don't recall smoking any 'legal highs' but I do recall trying one or two in my youth. Did nothing for me whatsoever.
As for whats in your drugs, anything powdered is likely to have baking soda or talc in it but has been found on the streets with substances as pleasant as glass powder.
Ecstasy pills are another lottery and these days tend to have very little of the active ingredient MDMA in them. Ketamine is commonly found, usually indicated by brownish speckles in the pill or so I'm told.
As mentioned, pot is generally safe enough if you go for the green variety. You shouldn't get anything worse than insecticide, though that could obviously be bad. The solid resin form can contain all sorts of crap as the cheap stuff is often made in skips in Africa and they tend to throw empty refuse sacks, car tyres and manure and whatever is to hand in there to bulk it out.
I've never been a fan of class As. I tried a couple of pills here and there a long time ago and they don't really agree with me. It probably doesn't help that I'm a metalhead not a raver. I don't even smoke weed anymore.
I'm so glad I'm living in the USA.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Yes. Don't waste your time I ordered some "Maui" from herbal smoke shop several years ago (mainly because of the price compared to the real stuff) but it was totally ineffective. I remember finding out later that depite all the online shops, they are in fact all the same under a different name. It's hard to get "real" reviews because of all the spam but the few I read all said it was not effective.
Did the online shop you bought the "Maui" from have more expensive blends than the stuff you bought?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 03:57 AM

I'm so glad I'm living in the USA.
I'm not sure which of those things you think don't apply to the US.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 05:36 AM

I'd steer far clear of the stuff. My sister-in-law had an adverse reaction to smoking some of her husband's -- it put her in the ER.

I know that one bad case won't steer anyone away, but from what I've read, there are many health-related concerns regarding the stuff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 09:56 AM

Clever. Very clever. But not my thing.
Honestly, not my thing either. Gives me a tummy-ache.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2012, 10:54 AM

Seeing how easy and cheap pot is to buy I don't see why anyone would waste their time with this "legal alternative"

If it actually gets you high, then why isn't it illegal?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 10:58 AM

I'd assume not enough time.

Good pot isn't particularly cheap around here.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2012, 03:05 PM

Did the online shop you bought the "Maui" from have more expensive blends than the stuff you bought?
they are more or less the same price. +/- 5$ for 1/2 ounce.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2012, 04:34 PM

they are more or less the same price. +/- 5$ for 1/2 ounce.
When did you last check the prices? The websites I've seen have prices which vary to a greater degree than you suggest and prices which are universally higher.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2012, 02:04 PM

Yesterday! the +/- 5$ is the price difference between the most and the least expensive blends (29,99-34,99). I ordered mine here when I did several years ago.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2012, 04:09 PM

Yesterday! the +/- 5$ is the price difference between the most and the least expensive blends (29,99-34,99). I ordered mine here when I did several years ago.
Even the $29.99 seems to be a premium price. Especially if the results are, 'meh.'

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2012, 04:52 AM

Half of them probably work on the principle of 'if you tell someone it will get them high, then they'll feel high when they take it'.

kimosABE  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Half of them probably work on the principle of 'if you tell someone it will get them high, then they'll feel high when they take it'.
Some of them have been soaked in chemically produced synthetic cannabinoids, or they have it sprayed on. Some of these synthetic formulae have prefixes, JWH. These are the initials of the man who first synthesized these chemicals, John W. Hoffman, IIRC.

There is very little 'placebo effect' going on with these blends I'd guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules