Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > What is MacNN's definition of banned?

What is MacNN's definition of banned?
Kevin
Baninated
Jul 20, 2007, 07:14 AM

I am not sure, it doesn't seem to jive with mine.

Either do away with bans for ALL regulars, or maybe bans should be given a new meaning here?

This isn't a forum complaint. This is a question/helpful remark.

There is a thread in the lounge about MacNN dying. It is getting derailed by a thread about what a ban constitutes or means.

a coincidence or not?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 10:28 AM

Excellent question.

It seems a ban just means you change your username and post like nothing happened. Except I think you are supposed to swear a lot and bitch about your ban of your old username. And complain about other members constantly.

Is that what a ban is?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 10:34 AM

Finally, someone actually started this thread.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 10:36 AM

Just go take your blood pressure pills.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Finally, someone actually started this thread.
CUE: Laturalus

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 10:43 AM

I don't get it.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Do you know something my dr. doesn't know? Tell me! What is it? Is my heart at risk from high blood pressure all of a sudden?!?! Last time I went in ( a couple weeks ago) it was on the low side of healthy. My dr. complimented me on it.

No you have me all worried and such.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 10:46 AM

I don't get it.
Are you belittling me?

Or do you really not get it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 10:48 AM

I guess he's referring to the fact that Lateralus and Kevin don't get along. I'm not sure why he singled out Lateralus, though, since Kevin seems to fight regularly with about 50% of the people here.
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 10:48 AM

No, I'm guessing there's something about Lateralus I don't know.

Edit: Chuckit chimes in

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jul 20, 2007, 11:11 AM

I have low blood pressure.

In my pants.

I mean I said shoe.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jul 20, 2007, 11:13 AM

I guess he's referring to the fact that Lateralus and Kevin don't get along.
I don't NOT get along with Lat. I don't hate or dislike him. But thanks for telling me I do anyhow..

I think you are referring to bstone. Bstone doesn't like Lat.
I'm not sure why he singled out Lateralus, though, since Kevin seems to fight regularly with about 50% of the people here.
I told you a million times to stop exaggerating. It makes your complaint etc look desperate constantly and forever. And other baseless words and percentages that mean nothing but to make it look like I know what I am talking about constantly all the time.

I think some of you need to re-read my OP.

I am not trying to get anyone banned. Hell I even mentioned doing away with bans.

I am just asking for there to be a tiny bit of consistency.

Suikolove
Jul 20, 2007, 11:13 AM

I don't think Kevin picks fights with people here for no good reason. I'm pretty sure he only "fights" with those who think, whether by position or otherwise, that they are better than everyone else, and certainly act that way in their posts (this information was gathered just from the posts I've been reading). I'm the same way from time to time, but I never risk a ban to make my point. =\

But, I don't know Kevin, or any of the moderators for that matter, so what do I know?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't NOT get along with Lat. I don't hate or dislike him. But thanks for telling me I do anyhow..

I think you are referring to bstone. Bstone doesn't like Lat.
Lateralus: "Kevin... Shut up. And turn off your 'New Post in the Feedback forum' e-mails alerts."
Lateralus: "If anything, the fact that you and Kevin are upset with me lets me know I am definitely doing something right."

I think some of you need to re-read my OP.

I am not trying to get anyone banned. Hell I even mentioned doing away with bans.
Yeah, and I was talking about Railroader's post where he said "Cue Lateralus."
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 11:28 AM

Sorry if I started this chuckit.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Jul 20, 2007, 11:36 AM

Lateralus: "Kevin... Shut up. And turn off your 'New Post in the Feedback forum' e-mails alerts."
Lateralus: "If anything, the fact that you and Kevin are upset with me lets me know I am definitely doing something right."
Ok that shows Lateralus doesn't get along with me. You said Lateralus and Kevin don't get along

I am not TRYING to be anal here Chuck, but I just want to make clear I have no personal BEEF with Lat.
Yeah, and I was talking about Railroader's post where he said "Cue Lateralus."
I was speaking about the remark you made about me arguing with 50% of the people.

Originally Posted by Suikolove View Post
I don't think Kevin picks fights with people here for no good reason. I'm pretty sure he only "fights" with those who think, whether by position or otherwise, that they are better than everyone else, and certainly act that way in their posts (this information was gathered just from the posts I've been reading). I'm the same way from time to time, but I never risk a ban to make my point. =\

But, I don't know Kevin, or any of the moderators for that matter, so what do I know?
Someone with an unbiased opinion lookin in on the situation and seeing it for what it is.

I thank you for your contribution.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

Ok that shows Lateralus doesn't get along with me. You said Lateralus and Kevin don't get along

I am not TRYING to be anal here Chuck, but I just want to make clear I have no personal BEEF with Lat.
That's fair. I was just trying to explain Railroader's joke. Didn't mean to cast aspersions.
Chuck
___

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Excellent question.
Mysterious answer. He just got banned.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 03:29 PM

I wish we could get a mod to chime in here.

You know, I am coming around to Kevin's way of thinking. Do away with bans. They seem to be done far too inconsistently around here. In my opinion, there are some people who have never been banned (that I know of anyway) who's behavior is far more insulting and demeaning than Rob has been lately. Yet they get off scot-free.

I never thought I'd say this, I miss Tooki.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 03:30 PM

You're right, I've never been banned.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

II'm not sure why he singled out Lateralus, though, ...
You don't?
Oh, yes you do know why. So, you were just being dishonest.
... since Kevin seems to fight regularly with about 50% of the people here.
And exaggerating and a little too much over use of hyperbole.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster

My guess is that unless a bunch of people start complaining ca$h is avoiding the ban under xxxxx id, they'll let things slide, or that he comes back under a new id and really starts mis-behaving. I think the mods get tired of playing his game and unless he really starts making waves they'll let him slide - just my $.02.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Jul 20, 2007 at 03:43 PM. )

Railroader
Banned

You're right, I've never been banned.
See what I mean White smiley

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 03:34 PM

But yeah, I have no clue who the hell you're referring to.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 03:35 PM

I can't wait till Rob starts blaming me and Kevin for this ban.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
My guess is that unless a bunch of people start complaining ca$h is avoiding the ban under xxxxx id, they'll let things slide, or that he comes back under a new id and really starts mis-behaving. I think the mods get tired of playing his game and unless he really starts making waves they'll let his slide - just my $.02.
No, you nailed it. Good job.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 03:36 PM

But yeah, I have no clue who the hell you're referring to.
Hint: white text. I am trying out a new use of the ultra-subtle white smiley. Jawbone will rejoice at this.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 03:37 PM

Hint: white text. I am trying out a new use of the ultra-subtle white smiley. Jawbone will rejoice at this.
No, I saw the white text, I'm referring to the mysterious ban-worthy people you were referring to in the previous post.

Rumor
Jul 20, 2007, 03:57 PM

Probably me.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Jul 20, 2007, 03:59 PM

It seems that banning a nick isn't suitable for some people. Many just deal with it, since they aren't usually permanent bans (except spammers), but Rob just circumvents it everytime with a new nick. Then goes on about how he was unfairly banned etc. You would think after being banned as many times as him (literally in hunderds I think), he would get the picture.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 04:01 PM

He doesn't get banned fast enough. If he could never get more 10 posts in on a nick he'd give up.

Edit: Well, he'd be deterred to do it less often.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 04:17 PM

No, I saw the white text, I'm referring to the mysterious ban-worthy people you were referring to in the previous post.
I'm not naming names. Sorry. Some people have been banned and evaded it like Rob did. Some call people names and insult their opinions.

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Probably me.
No. For the most part I just ignore you. Digg.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 04:19 PM

I'm not naming names. Sorry.
I don't get this. "Mysterious people should go!" What the hell is the point of saying this?
And what are you afraid of? The flak you'll catch for naming a name that doesn't get banned?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 04:26 PM

I don't get this. "Mysterious people should go!" What the hell is the point of saying this?
And what are you afraid of? The flak you'll catch for naming a name that doesn't get banned?
C'mon, be a little bit more honest Dakar.

Here's what I said:
In my opinion, there are some people who have never been banned (that I know of anyway) who's behavior is far more insulting and demeaning than Rob has been lately. Yet they get off scot-free.
The reason I said it was because I feel some people's behavior has been worse than Rob's and yet they were not banned as well.

I will not do a mods job. I will report problem members, and I will leave the discipline up to them. But in my opinion, they are not being consistent.

There is no "Mysterious people should go!" conspiracy as you are suggesting. Simply a complaint of inconsistent moderating.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 04:30 PM

You're saying these people are acting worse than rob. Doesn't that mean that in your opinion, they should get banned?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 20, 2007, 04:35 PM

everyone has their opinion on who "should have been banned eons ago!" these mysterious people often come up in conversation while discussing a member's own wrongdoings. they're entitled to their own opinion i suppose.

the idea that bans should be done away with is absurd in the extreme. the community won't "just take care of it" as some posters would have you believe. some people are incorrigible. some people have a net negative affect on the community as a whole. some people are abrasive and cruel. some people are too immature to mingle with the general population. this is the nature of the world.

some ancient bans have been forgiven. these are mostly of the "we forget why we didn't like you 2 years ago" variety. some were from people that signed up for multiple accounts and simply annoyed people in the lounge for a few weeks. serious offenses are still taken...well, seriously. the only reasons that people defying a ban may not be insta-banned is because of confusion (why did we ban this one?) or fatigue (they signed up again? seriously?) or because we don't see the correlation between the accounts (yet) or because they're behaving at the moment and, deep down, you hope they fly right this time. it's not a perfect system, and i don't speak for all the mods, but i think that about sums it up. no matter what we do, people will think it unjust and unbalanced. personally, i'm working to eliminate the fatigue reason from the equation.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 04:49 PM

You're saying these people are acting worse than rob. Doesn't that mean that in your opinion, they should get banned?
Yup.

Originally Posted by Railroader
In my opinion, there are some people who have never been banned (that I know of anyway) who's behavior is far more insulting and demeaning than Rob has been lately. Yet they get off scot-free.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
or because they're behaving at the moment and, deep down, you hope they fly right this time.
This I understand. But don't you think some people have been given enough tries as of late, ad still have shown an inability to "play nice"?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 05:07 PM

Demonhood: when Rob creates new accounts, do they have unique IPs?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 05:56 PM

It's been asked a dozen times, and the people running this place have a cumulative internet experience that probably amounts to *decades* more than you've been alive.

Rob is on dynamic IP service, and there is no way to permanently ban him without blocking a good range of potential forum users. Apart from that, he's used proxy services in the past.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It's been asked a dozen times, and the people running this place have a cumulative internet experience that probably amounts to *decades* more than you've been alive.

Rob is on dynamic IP service, and there is no way to permanently ban him without blocking a good range of potential forum users. Apart from that, he's used proxy services in the past.

I know we've had this conversation before, I've instigated the conversation some time ago, I just couldn't remember if Rob was using dynamic IPs since when I had asked I wasn't really thinking about Rob in particular.

Suikolove
Jul 20, 2007, 06:03 PM

Time for an e-restraining order. If he comes within 50 webpages of this site, he has to buy a BigMac and fries for all.

Rumor
Jul 20, 2007, 06:08 PM

Eww, I'll pass on the Big Mac and fries, but I'd take a six pack of Oberon.

Suikolove
Jul 20, 2007, 06:13 PM

I want Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Seriously, though. If someone has a dynamic IP, there's not much the mods or admins can do.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Suikolove View Post
I want Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Seriously, though. If someone has a dynamic IP, there's not much the mods or admins can do.
I still have one sitting in my fridge. It's all yours; I'm not gonna drink it anytime soon.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

OreoCookie
Jul 20, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I know we've had this conversation before, I've instigated the conversation some time ago, I just couldn't remember if Rob was using dynamic IPs since when I had asked I wasn't really thinking about Rob in particular.
We've been down this road and the gist of the thread was that we have no other feasible option. Rob's nick has been banned and if he registers again, it will be banned eventually, too. We'll eventually get around once we get around to immerse ourselves in the ocean of data called internet. However, most of us have real lives to attend to, friends to see and jobs to do. Dead lines. School. Teaching. Sleep. Whatever. I'm not sure why some people here construe this as either some subconscious admiration for Rob or a failure of the ban system.

Even when we act quickly and decisively, there are threads in the Feedback forum
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Rumor
Jul 20, 2007, 06:54 PM

What? Mods are people? I thought they were automated scripts that lived in teh tubes.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2007, 07:01 PM

Why was he banned this time?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Eww, I'll pass on the Big Mac and fries, but I'd take a six pack of Oberon.
I knew there was something I liked about you.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Why was he banned this time?
I think thats quite obvious....

PS, if it isn't, he went on a rant about Kevin and his faith

PPS, your sig scares me :|
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules