Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVSE freeze on shutdown

DVSE freeze on shutdown
arbop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2000, 09:16 AM

My DVSE was working perfectly, until I loaded Office 98 onto it, then it would freeze if I was on-line and used the keyboard power button to shutdown. It would freeze at the "waiting for PPP termination" screen. If I first exited on-line apps, I could use the keyboard button and get a normal shutdown. I then removed Office, using the Office installer, but no improvement noted. Any suggestions?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2000, 03:33 PM

Make sure you have ALL the updates. If you use IE/OE, 4.5.1/5.01 and then make sure you have only one current First Run Installer for IE/OE.

Same for OT 2.6. Hopefully any freeze has been repaired and you have a good backup. Adequate RAM.

Greg

Damien
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2000, 03:44 AM

1) Uninstalling Office98 means deleting not only the MS extensions and library files, but also the PPC registration database and the MS prefs files in the Preferences folder. The PPC Registration database is particularly meddlesome.

2) Freezing on shutdown with a PPP connection open is an issue I've seen quite a bit of. There is no solution that I know of only a workaround: close your PPP connection manually before shutting down.

If you want to make Office98 work properly, make sure you've applied all the updates: there is a combined Office98 update the fixes Y2K issues and security issues, and an OS9 update that fixes compatibliity issues.

------------------
Damien Barrett
<urb>http://www.mrbarrett.com</url>

Dragonlance
Jan 23, 2000, 03:49 PM

i got a DVSE, and installed Office98 a couple of months ago, it worked fine, i even tried uninstalling it, and "sherlocking" all office extensions and preferences, and then deleting them. i then re-installed office, and it works fine. i installed the additional fonts and the office-manager, so far its never caused any problems, and it works fine.

------------------
Mac Rules !!! seeya

AusRob
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2000, 09:55 PM

I also had simmilar problems after installing Office 98 on two separate computers. After alot of headache and searching I found that rebuilding the desktop after installation (first run that is) solved all the issues on both.

aniraf
Jan 24, 2000, 02:49 PM

I agree. You should try "rebuilding the desktop" and see if that improves the situation at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules