Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will my old ass imac be able to handle 10.2.6? it seems to have enough memory....

Will my old ass imac be able to handle 10.2.6? it seems to have enough memory....
dockpipe
May 25, 2003, 03:09 AM

I have an "old school" purple front loading disc tray imac that currently has 9.1 on about 160 megs of ram.
i want to install 10.2 jaguar in it. can i? and if so what's the best way to do it??
thanks a bunch.

Cipher13
May 25, 2003, 09:25 AM

Try the OSX forum.

Yes, it can be done. The best way to do it is just to install normally, like you would any other system.

It will be unusably slow, though.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 26, 2003, 10:08 AM

If you're interested in using OS X full time, I'd highly recommend more RAM. Max out the RAM if possible.

OpenStep
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 11:11 AM

Get at least 256 MB RAM in it and it will run fine for basic stuff. I gave my friend one with 10.2.6 and he loves it. Granted ripping cds is slow, doing 3 things at once is slow, but basic stuff like checking email, using AppleWorks, Safari,other small apps, the machine works great

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2003, 01:11 PM

With 320 RAM it will be more then usable for web, word, iTunes, iPhoto and email.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2003, 02:14 PM

it should be just fine. I used to have the iMac 233 and 333 running 10.2 with 256MB RAM under the hood.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 03:23 PM

Make sure you do the firmware update before installing OS X.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Try the OSX forum.

Yes, it can be done. The best way to do it is just to install normally, like you would any other system.

It will be unusably slow, though.
If by "unusable" you mean "quite snappy" then you're absolutely right.

Never, ever, ever, ever install normally. Always do custom and never install stuff you don't need (like a billions languages).
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2003, 01:05 AM

I have an almost identical system with 10.1.5. It's totally usable, if not quite as Snappy� as the Dual-Gig PowerMac I do my actual work on. Large menus take a while to come up, but it's mostly fine. I'd just echo the recommendation of more memory, because with less than 256 MB, you'll be paging like a starved crack whore.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cipher13
May 27, 2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
If by "unusable" you mean "quite snappy" then you're absolutely right.

Never, ever, ever, ever install normally. Always do custom and never install stuff you don't need (like a billions languages).
"Quite snappy"?

Wow. You sure do have low standards.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 30, 2003, 03:07 PM

Ditto.

10.2 on my Pismo (400MHz G4 on a 100MHz bus = a lot faster than a 266/333MHz iMac) is far from "quite snappy." It's usable (the slow UI is worth it since I get preemptive multitasking and stability), but fast? No, I think not.

tooki

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 09:25 AM

Required firmware update for Jaguar on TRAY LOADING iMacs: (what I used on my 333 green iMac)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60384

There is a DIFFERENT firmware update required for Slot Loading imacs..please note that.

If its your main machine, go to Jaguar, I use my iMac only as a websurfer/email/chat machine so 9.2 works best for that for me anyhow.

I upgraded to 256 megs of ram (wow..was not fun, but doable..have to basically take the entire imac apart to do it). If you have your original documentation that came with your iMac there is complete instructions on how to add memory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules