Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Samsung SyncMaster 172T is better than 17" Apple Studio Display.

Samsung SyncMaster 172T is better than 17" Apple Studio Display.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2002, 09:50 PM

Even with an analogue VGA input this Samsung 172T is one of the best 17" monitors I've ever seen. I can't wait until I get the PowerBook DVI and my dual DVI card for the PC arrives. Then I can have something better looking in the picture than my beige PC peripherals.

The colours are beautiful. Very high contrast and brightness - I currently have contrast at 50/100 and brightness at 20/100.

The design is IMO much less clunky than the 17" Apple Studio Display. It's way more adjustable with both very easy height and angle adjustment. The only drawback is no ADC input. For me that's a bonus though since my PowerBook doesn't have an ADC output, and of course my PC will never have ADC. The monitor takes up much less desk space than Apple's. It also has a way smaller foot print for the base, yet it is very sturdy. And the bezel around the edge is very small (well less than an inch), unlike the Apple display. I got the silver and it kinda looks like what I remember from the 867 TiBook's paint job, but I'm not sure how close the colour is. I like the silver better than some of the black monitors I've seen. The thing comes with a wall mount bracket, but I won't be using that at this point. It would be great in my office wall mounted, but I can't justify getting another monitor for the office.

The size is almost as big as my 19" CRT for viewable screen real estate. The 19" CRT has less than an inch more on the diagonal measurement. I'd say this 1280x1024 resolution is perfectly suited for the 17-18" size. 19" LCDs at this same resolution would be nice but IMO unnecessary unless the screen is going to be fairly far away. I'd rather put the coin towards a second LCD monitor.

Playing Contact's wormhole sequence yielded no noticeable ghosting. I guess you can believe their 25 ms pixel response time spec.

As for the price, I paid about US$555, at the local store, NOT mail order. That includes both a VGA cable and a DVI cable. The local price for the Apple display with DVI->ADC converter is about US$1115, which of course means I would have no VGA support. Even with the huge Apple discount when buying a PowerBook at the same time, it still comes out to $730, or a third more than the Samsung.

Once I can test my PowerBook with this unit, I'll post here again, but otherwise I wholeheartedly recommend this LCD monitor.

Online review.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 10:35 PM

Before I smack you take that big assed speaker off the top of the CRT!

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2002, 11:01 PM

Wow that does look pretty impressive, although it would be nice to see OS X running on it, instead of, well, you know

I agree that Apple's monitors are looking more and more overpriced. I imagine that they will be reducing prices very soon -- probably around the time the current monitor rebates end.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2002, 11:24 PM

Before I smack you take that big assed speaker off the top of the CRT!
:o I bought this thing mail order. I didn't quite realize how humungous it was. It's a DD5.1 receiver (rest of it rests on the floor), and it's meant for a rear-projection TV. Damn good sound though for a computer system.

Wow that does look pretty impressive, although it would be nice to see OS X running on it
Eug anxiously awaits his PowerBook...

Here is the bottom of the base. The left has the base folded up (for wall mounting), and the right has it fully extended. The adjustability comes from the fact that you can put it in any position in between. (The placement options are sorta like the flexibilty of the iMac arm, but it's much stiffer.)

Ramza
Dec 4, 2002, 12:18 AM

How did you get this LCD?!?! I've been looking for a place to buy this for a while now... Every single place has them out of stock!
What's going on here?
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 02:03 AM

Apple may be a little overpriced but looks are included in their price. I'm sorry, but that monitor would find no home here next to my dual gig, it's ugly. I like that not only I can run Apple's OS on decent hardware, but that it's all simply gorgeous. I can't count how many pc friends have come over and seen my dual gig/ cinema display/ sound stick set up and said 'wow that's an Apple right?". That's part of the price, appearance.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Ramza
Dec 4, 2002, 02:13 AM

Hey Eug, how is the ghosting? Did you try any games with it yet? A good test would be to test with an RTS game and scroll real fast ;P
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

schalliol
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 02:17 AM

hmm, can't delete my post

Robe
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Apple may be a little overpriced but looks are included in their price. I'm sorry, but that monitor would find no home here next to my dual gig, it's ugly. I like that not only I can run Apple's OS on decent hardware, but that it's all simply gorgeous. I can't count how many pc friends have come over and seen my dual gig/ cinema display/ sound stick set up and said 'wow that's an Apple right?". That's part of the price, appearance.
I agree! I have had 2 17" LCD's wih my TiBooks and finally went and got the Apple Display for my latest Ti. My wife, who avoids my home office and all things computer, can't stay away from it. It is gorgous and runs Marine Aquarium perfectly. Yes, I paid a little more - 999.00, but it was the first one that got a WOW from people.

Robe

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 10:26 AM

Apple may be a little overpriced but looks are included in their price. I'm sorry, but that monitor would find no home here next to my dual gig, it's ugly.
Personally, I think it's got better looks than the Apple Studio Display, but that's just me. Also, for you if your dual gig is sitting on your desk then then it's a bonus since the Apple displays match. However, if your tower is under your desk then matching not as relevant. Furthermore, the Samsung would match my TiBook better. But of course, looks are personal preference. Just as importantly though, the Samsung has significantly better ergonomics. Smaller footprint, smaller size, easier adjustability (including height).

As for image quality, I'd say that at best the Apple might be equal, but I think the Samsung has the edge. (Mind you, my most recent testing of the Apple display has only been in the store, so maybe I'd think differently once I got one home.)

As for the Apple Studio Display being overpriced. Yes, and then some. To get it to work with my TiBook it would cost TWICE that of the Samsung, for inferior ergonomics and looks that only some people (not including myself) prefer. (Actually, it would "only" be 1/3rd more if I bought it with the TiBook. The twice as much comes from the price if I bought the screen separately.)

As far as I'm concerned, the 17" Apple display should only be a consideration if you're getting a Mac at the same time and you can take advantage of the discount, and if that Mac comes with an ADC connector. (The TiBook does not.) Without the discount the 17" Apple display is outrageously expensive, especially if you need to get a DVI to ADC converter. Also, some people will bring up the fact that the computer's AppleCare will cover the display. Well, the Samsung already offers a 3 year warranty... no AppleCare needed.

The larger Cinema displays are a different story though since they're less more unique in the market. I'm talking here about the 17" Studio Display, which has to compete with all the other displays in the market since it has the exact same resolution and aspect ratio.

Hey Eug, how is the ghosting? Did you try any games with it yet? A good test would be to test with an RTS game and scroll real fast
I only tested movies with fast moving scenes. No visible ghosting. I haven't tried gaming yet.

How did you get this LCD?!?! I've been looking for a place to buy this for a while now... Every single place has them out of stock!
What's going on here?
I just asked my local store if they had it, and they did. They had a couple of silvers and a black in stock I believe - same price, unlike most other places which charge more for the silver. (I'm in Toronto.) So I walked in, paid my $555, and left with a silver 172T in hand.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 4, 2002 at 10:42 AM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 12:56 PM

I get the feeling that Apple is coming out with new LCD's soon and when they do I hope they clean up the design a bit to look more like the sweet iMac ones.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I get the feeling that Apple is coming out with new LCD's soon and when they do I hope they clean up the design a bit to look more like the sweet iMac ones.
Yeah, I suspect they must be poised to release new ones or at least announce new prices, since they are offering such humungous discounts for the packages.

Maybe MWSF Jan?

P.S. I think the iMac ones don't look as nice as the Studio Displays, but they are much more ergonomic. Easy to adjust height, angle, etc.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Eug:

P.S. I think the iMac ones don't look as nice as the Studio Displays, but they are much more ergonomic. Easy to adjust height, angle, etc.
I like the smaller frame and the clear border around the edge to easily ajust the screen.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 03:31 PM

That Samsung is pretty impressive, I'd have to agree. I especially like the $555 price - nice buy.

Who actually makes the LCDs for Apple's laptops and LCD monitors? I thought that Samsung or LG made them, but has that changed?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by G-mac:
That Samsung is pretty impressive, I'd have to agree. I especially like the $555 price - nice buy.

Who actually makes the LCDs for Apple's laptops and LCD monitors? I thought that Samsung or LG made them, but has that changed?
If one were to go by the posts on MacNN, it seems that both Samsung and LG make LCD screens for Apple. Apple has a 100 million investment in Samsung by the way.

I was lucky to get the US$555 price. The going rate around here is usually more like $600ish (which is still pretty cheap compared to Apple's 17" Studio Display).

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by G-mac:

I think it is Toshiba maybe samsung not LG.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 05:39 PM

Samsung pic, showing it with the arm fully extended:

Side view with it lowered, sitting almost flush to the table:
(Note that there is a top hinge and a bottom hinge. The bottom hinge controls the height. You adjust the angle of the screen through the top hinge. And of course as I demonstrated earlier, you can have the screen parallel to the base, for wall mounting.)

Another review

Yet another review
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 4, 2002 at 05:53 PM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 06:35 PM

Hmm, on second thought that stand isn't that sexy at all.

Ramza
Dec 4, 2002, 06:40 PM

d00d, that looks awesome.
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 08:33 PM

The one thing about this screen that could be improved is the brightness settings. It's so friggin' bright! This would be awesome in a bright company office, but in my home office (walls are navy blue, with very low lighting) it's far too bright with the usual settings. (The brightness maintains the very good contrast though. It's not that low contrast high brightness like one finds in laptop screens or cheaper desktop LCDs.)

So I have gone into the custom settings to further lower the brightness beyond the usual settings. ie. I've lowered all three of the RGB values in addition to lowering the brightness.

So right now I'm running (until I get more lights in here):

Brightness: 20/100 (Normal = 50)
Contrast: 40/100 (Normal = 50)
Red: 40/100 (Normal = 50)
Blue: 40/100 (Normal = 50)
Green: 40/100 (Normal = 50)

Ramza
Dec 4, 2002, 09:00 PM

Oi, Eug
How are the colors? I'm interested in doing a little bit of graphical work(Painter 6 mostly). I know CRT's are better and I plan on keeping mine for it, but I'm interested in seeing how close this LCD is to producing good colors.
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2002, 09:08 PM

Stop with all the reviews, pics, and details!

You're making me want to go out and splurge on one! I sure would like a brighter, sharper alternative to my PowerBook 550's 15" (not that poor a screen, of course). At around $600, that Samsung looks tasty...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2002, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Ramza:
Oi, Eug
How are the colors? I'm interested in doing a little bit of graphical work(Painter 6 mostly). I know CRT's are better and I plan on keeping mine for it, but I'm interested in seeing how close this LCD is to producing good colors.
Well, I'm not a graphics pro so I can't say for sure, but dare I say the colours appear excellent. Way better than the average LCDs screens I've seen, and nicer than the TiBooks I've seen for sure. (I know it's not fair to compare a laptop screen to a desktop screen though.)

I'm not sure how easy it would be image matching would be though in OS X.

If the RGB channels are all set at the same level, I'd say the colours are most accurate and best when the contrast and brightness are turned up a bit. I wonder if this has to do with the fact that most light sources are cooler when turned up. Of course, one could always play with the R G and B levels though.

Anyways, like I said, I'm no graphics pro so take these comments with a grain of salt.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2002, 05:09 PM

Say Eug -- have you tried using this monitor with the analog input as well? I'm curious how it would compare to the digital.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2002, 07:18 PM

Actually, I'm using it with analogue since my PCs Radeon LE has no DVI, and my PowerBook hasn't arrived yet. The image quality is stellar. Given what I've seen with analogue on LCD screens before, I never thought analogue could look so damn good. In fact I'm sure some people wouldn't even be able to tell it wasn't DVI. Even though I'm just using analogue, the quality was so good I'm seriously considering buying ANOTHER one of these to replace my CRT as well.

Mind you, my particular Radeon has excellent 2D. I've seen quite a few video cards give less than ideal 2D images even at this relatively low resolution (1280x1024). (It seems that while Mac video cards universally seem to have good 2D, there are a LOT of PC video cards which are terrible for 2D, esp. older ones.) I was in the store today looking at some other cheap LCD screens, and quite frankly, the image quality via analogue on them simply sucked. If mine were a 9, those would be a 4 (and yes they were using the correct resolution too). I dunno if it's just those cheap screens, or if it's the video card, or both.

I just received my dual DVI Asus Geforce 4MX today, so I'll tell you my DVI results once I get a chance to install it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 5, 2002, 09:27 PM

I was just wondering because I've never been able to see a comparison between a digital connection and an analog one in person. I'm interested what the differences are. I have noticed that many times screens in electronics stores look pretty bad, but I think that is more due to the fact that (at least here) they tend to split one analog signal over many screens.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2002, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I was just wondering because I've never been able to see a comparison between a digital connection and an analog one in person. I'm interested what the differences are. I have noticed that many times screens in electronics stores look pretty bad, but I think that is more due to the fact that (at least here) they tend to split one analog signal over many screens.
True, but in at least one of the stores I was in today, the LCD screens were set up independently on single workstations. ie. They were selling the computer (Vaio or whatever) as well as the LCD. The screen looked like crap in comparison to this Samsung.

It seemed like on those, the fonts seemed to bleed slightly over different sets of pixels, and it wasn't just font smoothing. On this thing, everything is ultra crisp.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2002, 01:05 AM

Installed the new Asus card.

I took out a Radeon LE to put this card in. CRT monitor is Samsung 950P (shadowmask, and an excellent one).

On my Samsung 172T LCD, there is a slight improvement in quality from analogue to DVI. Analogue on the Radeon to the LCD was already stellar.

On my CRT, there is a noticeable degradation in quality with this Geforce4MX compared to the previous analogue output from the Radeon. Even at just 1280x960, text is slightly blurry.

I am thoroughly unimpressed. I'm tempted to return this card and get an ATI, with VGA and DVI.

Either that or go with a second DVI LCD. Hmm...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2002, 01:20 AM

I'm now using the 172T with my new windtunnel TiBook.

That Samsung screen makes this TiBook screen look pretty damn mediocre.

I know that the TiBook screen is pretty good vs. other laptop screens, and that it's unfair to compare a laptop screen to a desktop LCD screen, but people asked.

If the Samsung is a 9.5, the TiBook is a 7.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 02:35 AM

I'm now using the 172T with my new windtunnel TiBook.

That Samsung screen makes this TiBook screen look pretty damn mediocre.
You cannot compare a desktop LCD to a Laptop LCD, the desktop has unlimited power at its disposal so it can make things as bright as it wants. Obviously the Ti cannot do the same.

Why do you call it a windtunnel TiBook? I haven't seen anyone complain about the fan.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2002, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:

You cannot compare a desktop LCD to a Laptop LCD, the desktop has unlimited power at its disposal so it can make things as bright as it wants. Obviously the Ti cannot do the same.
Absolutely true. I still remember how crappy my Pismo's display looked when I first set it beside my friend's studio display. It seemed ok before, but after it seemed very dim...

Eug -- do you think it would be a problem for you to use the screen next to the tibook? I'm considering one of these (or perhaps another brand) to go with my Pismo, but would it be distracting to have the two side by side?

Why do you call it a windtunnel TiBook? I haven't seen anyone complain about the fan.
Haven't been hanging around the powerbook forum much? I'm sick of all the fan discussion there

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:

Absolutely true. I still remember how crappy my Pismo's display looked when I first set it beside my friend's studio display. It seemed ok before, but after it seemed very dim...

Eug -- do you think it would be a problem for you to use the screen next to the tibook? I'm considering one of these (or perhaps another brand) to go with my Pismo, but would it be distracting to have the two side by side?
Yeah, I know I can't compare a laptop screen. I'm just answering somebody's question. This windtunnel TiBook screen does seem much brighter than my iBook's though.

As for using it with the Samsung, yes, but I haven't quite got the hang the colour calibration software. Because the Samsung is brighter I have to turn the brightness all the way down in a very dark room. The Samsung locks out the contrast and RGB controls in digital mode, expecting the computer to set everything. This is OK on the PC, because some of the colour drivers make it very easy to screw with the brightness, gamma, and RGB settings. For the Mac, it can still be done, but requires some additional tweaking, and going thru the protocol as Apple sets it up.

One of the issues is that the Mac only recognizes the monitor as "SyncMaster" I suspect it does not know it's an LCD, since the color LCD option is not listed under the profiles for that monitor. I suspect "SyncMaster" is for Samsung CRTs. Thus, a custom calibration is needed.

I think the bottom line will be that I'll just load some pictures in and calibrate it to those instead of using Apple's restrictive guides.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2002, 01:48 AM

OK. Removed as much beige as possible. Got a new wireless mouse and keyboard. Moved the Samsung CRT elsewhere.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 03:12 AM

OK. Removed as much beige as possible.
Thank the lord. I wasn't sleeping properly at night!

Kestral
Senior User
Dec 16, 2002, 01:49 PM

Eug, thanks for the recommendation! I'm in Toronto as well and I'm curious to know what store you got it at. If you could let me know, would greatly appreciate it. I find the Apple 17" LCD looks washed out compared to thhe 15" LCD and even the iMac displays. I had noticed it and thougt it was just my imaginatino but then, a few customers pointed it out to me. And I think you're right, the Samsung in silver matches a TiBook much better than the Apple 17" LCD.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Kestral:
Eug, thanks for the recommendation! I'm in Toronto as well and I'm curious to know what store you got it at. If you could let me know, would greatly appreciate it. I find the Apple 17" LCD looks washed out compared to thhe 15" LCD and even the iMac displays. I had noticed it and thougt it was just my imaginatino but then, a few customers pointed it out to me. And I think you're right, the Samsung in silver matches a TiBook much better than the Apple 17" LCD.
Canada Computers. They had it in stock when I went, at CAD$865. Beware though. There are two colours (black or silver). They also had the 191T in stock I believe.

The problem with them is their mediocre service and their restocking charge. And their decor is typical for most other stores on that strip, ie. decidedly low end.

However, other stores I called didn't have it in stock (ie. 2 day wait), wanted about $50-100 more, esp. for the silver model, and still had a restocking charge.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 16, 2002 at 02:48 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 05:48 PM

Damn you Eug! Beacuse of you I had to go out and buy one of these myself!

(I added a second photo since the screen looked washed out in the first. Maybe this gives you a better idea of what it actually looks like)

I had been considering a cheaper (around $300) 15" LCD to go with my Pismo, but the Samsung looked considerably better in terms of quality, and I thought that a 17" LCD would make more sense to use with my next system (whatever it will be) when I finally replace my Pismo. I found it online here in Japan for about $500 + tax, minus $30 or so in "points" that you can use to buy things at the store I got it from. Seemed like a good deal.

It just came this afternoon, but I am quite impressed. I had to fiddle with the settings a bit (using analog input obviously) since the colors seemed somehow too vibrant -- kind of distorted. But I think I have it adjusted well now. The only thing is, it really does make my Pismo's display look like crap. It seems all dim and yellowed. Oh well. I am using the Samsung as my main monitor (having moved the menu bar and dock there) and so I put my supplimentary windows on the Pismo's screen.

My only real complaints with the setup don't have to do with the screen, but rather with my Pismo's video card. I have to run the external screen in thousands of colors, and while I can run the Pismo's LCD in millions at the same time, I can't play a DVD with that setting. So I have them both on thousands, and there is a noticable decrease in image quality with photos. But aside from that I am most pleased. Personally I would rather get two or three of these than get one Cinema display (not to mention the fact that it would still be much cheaper).
( Last edited by icruise; Dec 17, 2002 at 06:04 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2002, 07:02 PM

Damn you Eug! Beacuse of you I had to go out and buy one of these myself!
Heheh, welcome to the club.

Yeah, the one thing I will have to do is run Apple's colour calibrator or whatever to make sure both my screens are set up properly. Haven't done that yet. Being a non-graphics pro myself all I've ever done in the past is simply eyeball the colours. One thing of the Samsung though is via DVI, the front panel locks out the RGB settings, whereas with VGA you can muck around with the RGB levels. So, in DVI mode any colour adjustments MUST be done via the computer it's hooked up to. I believe the same is true with the Apple LCD displays however.

By the way, how have you adjusted the colours? It almost seems like your Pismo is sub-6000 degrees whereas the Samsung is set closer closer to PC settings of 8500 or something. Just a shot in the dark. But yes, even though my TiBook's screen is supposed to be one of the best and much better than the Pismo's screen, in comparison to the Samsung it looks pretty mediocre. However, it is completely unfair to compare a laptop screen against a desktop LCD, as so many people have already said.

It's unfortunate you have to run your Pismo in thousands of colours. I guess the old video cards were really limited in this respect. I personally can't stand running in thousands. The stepping effect of colours on gradients drives me insane.

By the way, when you do finally upgrade your Pismo, you MUST get a TiBook. That way your new Samsung's DVI output can be used, and of course the 172T will match your computer.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2002, 07:43 PM

I've tried adjusting the Pismo's screen various ways, but no matter what I do the whites come out yellowish. I think the screen may be getting old, and in any case it was never that great (the ibook screen beats the pants off of it, as would the Tibook I'm sure). At least I don't have the infamous "pink screen" problem.

I don't have the money for a new computer right now, so I thought a new screen would give me the illusion of a new system... Actually it seems to have worked pretty well. I think I can hold off on upgrading until something really compelling comes along (probably the next powerbook form factor, or maybe a powermac if the rumors of the IBM chip pan out). The idea of hooking three of these screens to a tower is pretty attractive... We'll see.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2002, 06:41 PM

Well I think I may start using the Powerbook with the screen closed, using the Samsung as the only monitor with an external mouse and keyboard. The difference between the pb screen and the gorgeous samsung was starting to get to me, as was having to run in thousands of colors

With the screen closed, I can display millions of colors on the external screen, and the bump in resolution from the pb screen keeps it from feeling cramped.

There has been some discussion as to whether running powerbooks with the screen closed is good for them, in terms of heat. This is a bit of a worry since mine is G4 upgraded and runs hotter than normal Pismos might.

Ramza
Dec 19, 2002, 07:56 PM

So.....you! New guy with the LCD~!
How are the colors? GOod enough to digital paint?
Also how is teh ghosting? Maybe you at least could play a game?
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 10:44 PM

Where are you finding this for under $600? If you can point me to it, I'd be ecstatic...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by tycheung:
Where are you finding this for under $600? If you can point me to it, I'd be ecstatic...
I bought it locally, and I live in Canada. At the time the Canadian dollar wasn't so good. I think it'd be over US$600 now.

benb
Jan 29, 2003, 11:46 AM

I bought it locally, and I live in Canada. At the time the Canadian dollar wasn't so good. I think it'd be over US$600 now.
eCost.com has them for $569 with $10 for next day shipping. Not in stock, but the guy i spoke with said they would be in by the end of the month. Their not the greatest retailer, but for $100, I can live with them.

Regards,
Ben

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2003, 07:53 PM

Keep your eyes on the AnandTech front page for a review of the 172T, as well as a Samsung interview.

It should be posted by tonite or possibly tomorrow.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2003, 02:28 AM

Keep your eyes on the AnandTech front page for a review of the 172T, as well as a Samsung interview.

It should be posted by tonite or possibly tomorrow.
It's up!

Samsung 172T Reviewed + The Future of Samsung.

BlankMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 11:52 AM

I went with the SyncMaster 172W--widescreen, and I do have to say, Samsung is putting out some nice displays...It looks the same as yours, only its 1280x768 (16:9)...I didn't want to shell out the $$$ for the Apple widescreens, I've got an old Dual 500 and it seemed silly to have a monitor that was worth way more than the computer itself!!

But anyway, the brightness and clarity really have to be seen to be believed...I've tried it w/both the analog and digital inputs...You'd be hard pressed to tell a difference--though the digital input has slightly better color reproduction...$637 @ Amazon.com
BlankMac

"Who was that masked
macintosh?"

Ramza
Feb 1, 2003, 01:54 PM

WHOA! I had no clue they had a 172W!!! I read it's targeted for graphics professionals too! And I use Painter and Photoshop extensively so it looks like I've found the perfect LCD for me!!!
Thanks BlankMac!!

EDIT: WTF is this? 172W vewing angle is only 140/110!?!? That's HORRIBLE....
BlankMac! Can you comment on any of this? I need firsthand experience comments!
( Last edited by Ramza; Feb 1, 2003 at 02:36 PM. )
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

BlankMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2003, 02:20 AM

Hey Ramza...yeah, I was a little leary about the view specs (especially considering that there was nowhere to go see it in person!), but taking a leap of faith turned out okay...There is color shift at extreme angles, but I am always seated directly in front of the monitor so it doesn't affect me...I still can't stress enough how bright it is though--I can watch a dvd from across the room and it's like I'm looking at a regular TV...Here's a photo for you--sorry the quality is marginal (I'm no photographer!!) If you've got any other questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them...

BlankMac

"Who was that masked
macintosh?"

Ramza
Feb 2, 2003, 04:19 AM

Yay! Interrogation time!
Okay, is the viewing angle really that atrocious...? I mean is it really noticable even at a slight angle?
Also how is the ghosting on this? I only do light gaming, but this still concerns me...
And is the color reproduction really as good as they say??

Thanks a load!
I might have more questions later but I gotta get to bed
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

Forum Links
Forum Rules