Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Scanner Purchase

Scanner Purchase
serranot
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2003, 07:56 AM

I'm looking to purchase a flatbed scanner. I am a home user who occasionally scans documents, photos, etc. The thing doesn't have to give me a professional quality scan, but it does need to be decently fast. I also want it to function in OS X.2. I am looking for recommendations, anecdotes, horror stories, best packaged software, etc. I already own Photoshop Elements, so that is not a requirement. TIA.
T-bob

xtal
Senior User
Feb 1, 2003, 11:51 AM

I recently purchased the Canon LiDE 20, which is a decent scanner at a good price. I have just experimented with a few photos, but I must say that I am happy with the result. I don't do any sort of hardcore image work, but it's good for transferring my photographs to digital format.

Hope this helps.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2003, 12:11 PM

Another vote for the LIDE 30, works great natively, no power supply, small form factor.

butter71
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by proux:
Another vote for the LIDE 30, works great natively, no power supply, small form factor.
me too!

the lide 30 is a good deal.

serranot  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2003, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the responses. Any Epson or Microtek users out there want to chime in?
T-bob

varob
Location: @ The North Coast of USA = The South Shore of Lake Erie.........
Feb 2, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by serranot:
Thanks for the responses. Any Epson or Microtek users out there want to chime in?
Canon CanoScan N1240U [this model replaced by the new LiDE 30 model] @ $59.99 [outpost.com] = am also looking for a scanner & came across this....

Ramza
Feb 2, 2003, 05:11 PM

Another Lide 30 user here. I love this thing Cheap price good performance.
I WANT CHICKEN I WANT
LIVER MEOW MIX MEOW MIX
PLZ DELIVER

parkds
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2003, 05:19 PM

I am also looking for a scanner the is usable in 10.2. I am probably willing to pay up to $300, but I need to find one that has good image quality, is fast, and has some means of scanning slides and negatives at a decent quality. The epson Perfection 2450 seems to do this. But very few places have it in stock and I can't figure out why that would be. Does anyone have scanner recomendations?
Thanks!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2003, 05:47 PM

OSX has built in drivers for Epson scanners.

All scanners are about the same, you have to worry more about the software that comes with them.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2003, 10:29 PM

Microtek never made the drivers for my X6 scanner. Wouldn't buy anything from them anymore.

pyrocat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by proux:
Microtek never made the drivers for my X6 scanner. Wouldn't buy anything from them anymore.
----------

Microtek ScanMaker 3800 w/light lid - $70 - has OS X campatibility. 1200 x 600 dpi

Microtek ScanMaker 4850 legal size w/light lid - $120 - has OS X campatibility. 4800 x 2400 dpi

The E6 [X6] was never a Mac product, i.e. why buy a scanner that doesn't work in the first place. Don't blame Microtek for your mistake. I blame Umax for my scanner working in OS 9 but not OS X, since I bought it before OS X was available and Umax drivers are not.

pYrOcat
( Last edited by pyrocat; Feb 5, 2003 at 11:54 AM. )

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 12:57 PM

hehe...how timely.

Macworld has a new feb issue out that goes over scanners.
I was thinking about buying one myself when this issue came out...
I have the Lide 30 sitting at home, got it a day before the magazine arrived.

How fast is the Lide 30? I hate my current scanner (a microtek) b/c it is sooo dog slow, but worse yet, it doesn't run natively in OS X. I have to boot in 9.2.2 which, to quote an acquaintance, "makes me feel dirty." =D I don't need anything professional, but I was going to shell out for firewire just for desire of speed.

I hear ya about the complaints about microtek and their lack of x6 drivers...I haven't gotten a chance to try it out, but macworld does list two generic pieces of software that might work to fill in the missing drivers Microtek has not bothered creating.

That aside, I liked my Microtek scanner fine, it did a satisfactory job.

I want this one, but it's expensive:

http://www.microtekusa.com/sm5700.html
( Last edited by kentuckyfried; Feb 5, 2003 at 01:31 PM. )
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

judd
Feb 5, 2003, 02:24 PM

I heard really good things about the epson 2450 photoscan. It scans negs and slides and should be fast as it has firewire connection. I think it is about $400

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 03:41 PM

>The E6 [X6] was never a Mac product, i.e. why buy a scanner that doesn't work in the first place. Don't blame Microtek for your mistake. I blame Umax for my scanner working in OS 9 but not OS X, since I bought it before OS X was available and Umax drivers are not.

Uh? My Microtek X6L had an iMac picture ON THE BOX! How's that for being compatible?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 08:30 PM

Any suggestions for which scanners have the best Mac OS X software?

Are there any good/fast scanners? I've heard a lot of negative comments about the Firewire scanners I've researched (Microtech, UMAX).

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2003, 10:49 AM

The problem with the USB-powered Canon scanners is that they're slow. Other than that, they're great little scanners.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,106196,00.asp

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 11:19 AM

I have an Epson2450 and it is by far the fastest scanner I've used (and I've used the LinotypeHell Sapphire and a few other scanners which cost 3x what the consumer scanners do (at the time anyway).

Epson's drivers give you professional control if you need it, but can do simple scans without a hassle. They have upgraded their models since the 2450 came out now and you may be a refurbished or discounted clearance on their models.

I have had a Microtek scanner that never performed great for me and the drivers were rarely updated. I decided their 'mac' support was not adequate for my justifying a new purchase from them. Epson has shown a STRONG commitment to the mac market and sells a great product, whether it is their lower-end to high-end devices.

When I first puchased this scanner, I connected with the USB interface and the scan speed what what I had seen with other scanners. Once I got a Firewire cable, the speed of previews and scans were outstanding. I suggest whatever you get find a model with firewire it gets the data to your computer faster.
( Last edited by bluedog; Feb 10, 2003 at 11:27 AM. )

varob
Location: @ The North Coast of USA = The South Shore of Lake Erie.........
Feb 15, 2003, 01:34 AM

Cannon CanoScan Scanners @ Price Drops = LiDE 20 now down to $50 & LiDE 30 to $80....

Vanquish
Feb 15, 2003, 10:34 AM

Well, I'm in the market for a new scanner too. I was looking at the CanoScan 5000F or the Epson Perfection 2400. Does anyone have any experience with these scanners ? if so, which one do you recommend ?

PS: does anyone know of a website where I can compare scans made by different scanners ?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by varob:
Canon CanoScan N1240U [this model replaced by the new LiDE 30 model] @ $59.99 [outpost.com] = am also looking for a scanner & came across this....
I have the N124OU. Exactly the same as LiDE 30, same specs. The only difference is that you get OS9 Software so you could download the OS X Photoshop drivers or use VueScan ... either way the N124OU is fast and very good quality.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules