Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Some kind of deadlock?

Some kind of deadlock?
lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2008, 05:19 PM

I have encountered a problem I've never seen before since upgrading to the latest Leopard.

After sitting for a long time, I can't fully launch any applications. It seems like any application that is already launched still functions, but new applications get deadlocked somewhere. Plus Spotlight stops working.

For example, it gets into this state. I try to launch Activity Viewer using Quicksilver. The Activity Viewer window pops up with all the static elements, but all the dynamic elements don't get drawn and I get the spinning wheel of death.

Try to launch Terminal, no windows come up. Try to launch anything, no windows come up but a lot of bouncing.

I ssh into the machine from my laptop and run top. I see the apps that I just tried to launch are all competing for the CPU and CPU is maxed out by these apps and nothing else.

I can run killall Terminal and it will stop bouncing and go away (although one time this issue happened, the Dock froze as well).

Eventually there's nothing I can do, but the Safari window (or Mail, NetNewsWire, anything I have open all the time) I had open continues to work fine. I run shutdown -r now from my laptop and the machine restarts gracefully.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2008, 05:20 PM

I have seen it happen a few times in my history with OS X. It's most likely a bad hard drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lngtones  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2008, 07:27 PM

That's the catch, this was happening on an older mac mini and I thought it was the hard drive.

I've been planning to get a new iMac for a while, so I used this as the excuse and went and picked up the iMac. I restored the latest Time Machine backup to the iMac and it's happening there. So brand new hard drive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2008, 07:31 PM

Hmmm. It could also be a piece of bad software like a certain driver that's occupying the kernel unnecessarily, and you may have carried it over if you used Migration Assistant.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Rand
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2008, 02:15 PM

This is (was?) the natural behavior for OSX after installing some software & software updates.

It seems, in order to make sure you restarted your computer it would prevent future apps from being openable until you restarted.

If it's a persistent problem, not related to the installation/updating of software then you might have a permissions problem. Using DiskUtility to fix permissions might help.

If that doesn't work - yeah, might be bad HD, or simple bad/incompatible software

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 02:21 PM

Not true it all. It is not normal behavior. I have seen it only a few times (on a couple Macs I helped administer, not owned), and I have been using OS X since 10.0.

Forum Links
Forum Rules