Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Rumor has Apple launching 4.7- and 5.7-inch iPhones in 2014

Rumor has Apple launching 4.7- and 5.7-inch iPhones in 2014
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 3, 2014, 01:20 PM

Later this year, Apple is planning to release iPhones with displays measuring 4.7 and 5.7 inches, according to Chinese site C Technology. The information is alleged to come from anonymous Foxconn executives. It's expected that both phones will come with biometric features, such as the Touch ID sensor already in the iPhone 5s.

While most reports have agreed that Apple will increase the size of iPhones next year, there have conflicting accounts of how big they might get, and whether or not the increase will apply to one or more models. The C Technology story may be consistent with an October DisplaySearch claim that Apple is testing 4.7- and 5.7-inch displays, and possibly a Wall Street Journal piece from September suggesting testing of screens up to 6 inches. KGI Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo has argued for a single bigger device between 4.5- and 5-inches though, and Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White speculated about a phone that "could approach 5 inches."

Last month, C Technology itself hinted that Apple might be testing an iPhone 6 with a 4.9-inch screen. In November, Bloomberg stated that 4.7- and 5.5-inch iPhones are in development.

Apple has been under pressure to increase the size of iPhone screens for some time. In 2012, even as competing Android devices were approaching or surpassing the 5-inch mark, Apple's iPhone 5 only stretched the iPhone from 3.5 to 4 inches. Some smartphones are already over 6 inches, though unlikely to grow any further, since that would put them in tablet territory.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2014, 02:16 PM

Some smartphones are already over 6 inches, though unlikely to grow any further, since that would put them in tablet territory.
We'll see. When the Dell Streak came out, everyone lampooned it. Same with the first Galaxy Note. Those were both ~5". Now pretty much all the high end phones are 5.1-5.4"+. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Galaxy S, Nexus, etc. approach or pass 6". It's a pissing contest, no doubt, but people seem to genuinely enjoy huge phones.

That being said, 4" is laughably small in 2014. I'd bank on at least 5" for the next iPhone, but if they make 2 versions, it'd be nice for the larger model to have a pressure sensitive stylus.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 3, 2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
We'll see. When the Dell Streak came out, everyone lampooned it. Same with the first Galaxy Note. Those were both ~5". Now pretty much all the high end phones are 5.1-5.4"+. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Galaxy S, Nexus, etc. approach or pass 6". It's a pissing contest, no doubt, but people seem to genuinely enjoy huge phones.

That being said, 4" is laughably small in 2014. I'd bank on at least 5" for the next iPhone, but if they make 2 versions, it'd be nice for the larger model to have a pressure sensitive stylus.

prl99
Senior User
Jan 3, 2014, 03:24 PM

I can never see myself carrying around anything larger than an iPhone. I laugh when I see people hold a huge phone up to their face. My phone is something I carry with me not something I have to wear like a jacket. It's like the boomboxes in the '80s getting as big as a suitcase. Oversize phones will eventually go away because they are just too big to be useful. Just because something can be carried doesn't mean it's really "mobile." We'll soon see OSHA requiring specialized lifting apparatus for these phones.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
*Far* fewer people seem to enjoy them than enjoy iPhones.

I can't operate an HTC One one-handed while still gripping it. Which makes it useless in some situations where a phone being mobile is the whole point.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2014, 10:25 PM

it'd be nice for the larger model to have a pressure sensitive stylus.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/01/03/reports.still.conflicting.on.possible.sizes/#ixzz2pOOZ98F7

An inductive digitizer layer(ie. WACOM's) on the iPad, would make it the dream tablet for so many artists that enjoy the great display but find using the capacitive digitizer very much like finger painting - even with 3d party styli

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2014, 10:28 PM

" it'd be nice for the larger model to have a pressure sensitive stylus."

An inductive digitizer layer(ie. WACOM's) on the iPad, would make it the dream tablet for so many artists that enjoy the great display but find using the capacitive digitizer very much like finger painting - even with 3d party styli

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2014, 04:56 AM

The Android phone makers are trying to make tablets with phone capability. Not smartphones. Samsung will soon integrate phones in their largest tablets. I would not be surprised to see a 12" or 14" "phablet".

Forum Links
Forum Rules