Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple expected to accelerate development of 12.9-inch iPad

Apple expected to accelerate development of 12.9-inch iPad
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 17, 2014, 11:37 AM

Apple will likely accelerate development of a larger iPad in response to Samsung's recent debut of 12.2-inch tablets, according to DigiTimes sources. A 12.9-inch iPad has been rumored for some time, and it's possible that the Samsung tablets were actually developed in response. Nevertheless, Apple may now need to have a bigger iPad to be seen as competitive. The DigiTimes sources suggest that the earliest possible date for a 12.9-inch iPad is in the end of the third quarter; in the past couple of years, Apple has released new iPads in the fourth quarter.

Apple has allegedly asked production and supplier partners to develop updated 7.9- and 9.7-inch iPads, which would make a 12.9-inch model -- sometimes nicknamed the iPad Pro --an expansion of the iPad lineup, rather than a replacement for the Air. The sources are meanwhile projecting that Apple will ship 80 to 90 million tablets in 2014, while Samsung will ship 60 to 70 million.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2014, 01:02 PM

How can it be "sometimes nicknamed the iPad Pro" when it doesn't even exist yet? We don't even know if it will ever exist. The ONLY piece of information about the entire thing that we know for a fact that isn't speculation, is that Apple has asked it's suppliers for test samples of 12.9" touchscreens from their usual suppliers. It might be an iPad, it might not. It might be a real product, it might not. I think it's actually likely that Apple will make a 12.9" iPad, but you should at least note that there is less evidence on this rumour than on almost any other previous rumour.

apostle
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2014, 01:09 PM

Personally I enjoy reading the comparisons between Apple's iWatch and its competitors...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2014, 01:33 PM

From what i've seen, Apple rarely does anything "in response to" competitors.

They make what they think will be better products, and even change their mind occasionally, but by and large, Apple thrives because they don't give a shit what their competitors are or aren't doing (as long as IP theft isn't involved, natch.

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2014, 03:25 PM

Just more wishful thinking from all these Walter Mitty analysts who dream of running Apple.

lantzn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2014, 04:20 PM

Dang I'm ready to buy a MacBook Pro by if this thing ends up being a hybrid pro laptop/iPad I REALLY want that. Something like the new Asus one. Full blown OSX while joined and iOS on the grab and go display/iPad.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2014, 06:24 PM

Buy now. A hybrid is not going to happen.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2014, 09:45 PM

There's a plethora of stylus like pointing devices for the iPad. Most of them are capacitive and feel just like an eraser on a stick when new and a march mallow latter on.

The extensive artists community that thrives on anything Apple, consume eagerly all of these digitizers but wish they were as nice as their fixed Cintiqs.

If Apple would just embed an inductive digitizer layer on their tablets, they would have an instant success with some of their diehard core users, just due to the price difference/display quality of current iPads vs Cintq Caompaions, and of course keep them from migrating to the Note 12.2 Pro

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2014, 10:19 PM

*That*, i could see happening.

The digitizer layer used to make Cintiqs really dim, though. Isn't that still the case?

If so, it might not even be an option for a larger iPad, where a larger battery might still not power the massive back lights necessary to compensate...

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 19, 2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

They make what they think will be better products, and even change their mind occasionally, but by and large, Apple thrives because they don't give a shit what their competitors are or aren't doing (as long as IP theft isn't involved, natch.
False. The iPad Mini.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2014, 04:37 AM

You were privy to their internal meetings and are aware of their motivation for changing their mind on that?

And even if it were a response to competitors' offerings, notice the word "rarely" up there?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 19, 2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You were privy to their internal meetings and are aware of their motivation for changing their mind on that?

Oh please, that's going to be your argument when you make a broad, sweeping claim that Apple "rarely" does anything in response to competitors?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2014, 08:46 AM

Imagine this:
It might well be that "Apple" wanted to do an 8" tablet from the start, but that Jobs opposed the idea. After Jobs' death, they were free to go ahead. Who knows? You sure weren't at the meetings where these things were discussed and decided.

And even if not: The iPad mini is the ONE example that you're using to support your implied argument that Apple operates largely in response to competitors, rather than independently of them?

Or, if that is not your argument, what is?

Just disagreeing? Why do you think I qualified my point with the adverb "rarely"?

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2014, 06:43 PM

The digitizer layer used to make Cintiqs really dim, though. Isn't that still the case?

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/01/17/release.of.122.inch.samsung.tablets.seen.as.cause/#ixzz2qynAXXPQ

No, at least on any model I've seen or used, nevertheless I was referring to the Cintiq Companions; these are a couple of new (mid 2013) portable tablets, one sports Android, the other Windows 8. both have the look and feel of Wacom's desktop line but can be uses autonomously (The Windows model can be used like a traditional tethered Cintiq as well), and both have operating times comparable to similarly sized tablets.

These devices are quite expensive ($1.500 - $2,500), and although the costlier model is a full PC that can run standard desktop applications like Photoshop or the awesome Sketchbook Designer, their display resolution falls short of most current high end tablets costing a fraction of the retail price.

The Note line of Samsung's tablets all have an inductive digitizer level licensed from Wacom, a much better solution to other inductive styli that require batteries, as a plus I can use my Cintiq's stylus on my phone or tablet. And the 2560X1600 resolution of the 10" & 12" is unbeatable. Only the range of iOS based art software makes the Apple products interesting (aside from the displays).

Never the less since Samsung acquired a percentage of Wacom sometime back It's most likely Apple would have to rely on other digitizer implementation, or it's own (the patent shown here a couple years ago).

Forum Links
Forum Rules