Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ATI Displays 4.5.6 update on Radeon Mobility 9700

ATI Displays 4.5.6 update on Radeon Mobility 9700
Asam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 03:02 AM

Anyone try the ATI Displays 4.5.6 update on a PowerBook?

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27

I did a quick try on my 15" (10.4.3, 2Gb ddr2/7200/128Mb 9700) and after a reboot Doom 3 did play with faster frame rate but before I had time to bench mark I started to check out the ATI displays control panel. One setting in this was to rotate the screen by 90 or 180 degrees so I tried it and my screen freaked out BIGTIME!! It just went bizzare with funny lines but you could see the curser arrow but rotated 90. Waited for a bit to see if the control panel would revert the settings and it didn't. Rebooted thinking this would be an easy problem to resolve but once the spinning cog was gone and before the login the screen freaked out again meaning it was some system wide setting change. Rebooted in single user mode and deleted a few displays prefs but didn't find the right plist. By this stage was in major panic - whilst staring at the screen mess had a stroke of genius, hit cmd-F5 to turn on voice over, hit cmd-space to activate spotlight, typed ATI Display and hit return which launched the panel, then with voice over navigated like the blind to find the rotate setting and reset it. What a mission, but it worked. Once my screen was back to normal, uninstalled the ATI by replacing my /Library and ~/Library from a CCC disk image.

Anyway, didn't bother doing anything else after that scare which was about a week ago. Still thinking though that the Doom 3 frame rate was faster.

Anyone else try it? Does say in the read me for ATI Displays that the Radeon Mobility 9700 is supported, but maybe the 1440 x 990 screen isn't. Guess I should report it as a bug to ATI. Think bug was just limited to the rotate feature but guess the updated drivers will be in the 10.4.5 update anyway.

Asam.....
----------------woo hoo
Cyber Nomadic PowerBook user since 92 .................

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 04:25 AM

i'd wait until it's displayed in Software Update, just to make sure Apple knows about it and ensures there are no problems with it. good thing you can set it back with voiceover though.
Ryan

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 7, 2005, 11:57 AM

It'll never be in Software Update -- it's an ATI product, not an Apple one.

Anyway, I have been running 4.5.5 on my PowerBook for a while, and it's been working perfectly. :shrug:

tooki

sxates
Dec 7, 2005, 04:39 PM

I just installed it--no issues, but I'm not going to mess with the screen rotation

Don't play games though, so I'm not sure if I'll see any difference anyway...

a2daj
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2005, 01:01 AM

ATI already knows about the rotation bug with ATI Displays and the latest PowerBooks. You can start up in safe mode and the screen won't be rotated. Then you dump a few different pref files and the next time you start up in normal mode, the screen won't be rotated. So yeah, definitely stay away from screen rotation in the newest PowerBooks.

Merely installing ATI Displays will do absolutely zero for performance since it doesn't install any graphics drivers. The only way 3D performance would be affected is if you made an Override setting for a game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules