Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > questions regarding running multiple OS's

questions regarding running multiple OS's
e_ticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 01:04 AM

I just ordered my dual G4-533 and also preordered OS-X. I haven't gotten my mac yet, but from all that I have read so far, it seems that non-OS-X applications run faster in OS9 rather than the "native" mode of OS-X. My questions are (& pls keep in mind that I am currently a peecee user):

Can OS9 & OS-X co-exist on the same machine? If so, what is "the best" way to use them both? Same partition? Separate partitions? Separate drives? Obviously I can only use one or the other at any given time. Can I select which OS loads when I restart the Mac? Do OS9 & OS-X support multiple boot options natively? If not, is there a utility I should look into? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate the help.

Walt

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 02:03 AM

The best way I have found to setup a dual-boot 9/X machine is have a two partitions. One about 1GB for your OS 9 System folder only, then the other with the remaining space that contains all your data, apps, OS X system and a smaller OS 9 system folder for Classic environment.

theamazingrando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 10:05 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am positive OSX allows you to start the machine in either X or 9.1, you certainly could with the Public Beta

------------------
The Amazing Rando
The Amazing Rando

Gregg
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 10:29 AM

I believe you can choose the OS in the Startup Control Panel. I've been told that you don't want to put more than one OS on the same partition. It can be done, but it's a pain. You have to constantly bless and unbless the chosen System Folder. Old apps not compatible with OSX will automatically start from OS9.1 (that's what I've heard) but the advice I've read says to have OS9.1 installed at the front of its partition.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 12:39 PM

If you install 9.1 on the same partition as X, you can choose to start up either in 9 or X via the Startup Disk Control Panel in either 9 or X. I installed X and 9.1 on a partition different from my old 9.1 partition just so I could have a "good" HD in case, but that is not necessary.

Let me also add my observations about starting up classic apps in X. Once the Classic environment starts up (and I think it starts up very fast indeed--faster than 9 itself starts up, at least), opening the classic apps is much faster in X than it is in 9. I've played around with MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and with Photoshop and all three start incredibly fast in X. In fact, they start up much faster than carbon apps, and even than the only cocoa app I have, Omniweb.

Just one man's experience, of course.

------------------
Klaatu borada nicto.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Steve Sell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 07:56 PM

Gregg - becareful about giving out adbive like this...

I've been told that you don't want to put more than one OS on the same partition. It can be done, but it's a pain. You have to constantly bless and unbless the chosen System Folder.
There is no "blessing" involved. You just use the startup disk control panel (or preference panel in X) and chose which system to statrt in.

but the advice I've read says to have OS9.1 installed at the front of its partition.
Where did you read this? This is also untrue. IF you have a "first generation" G3 you HAVE TO have X installed on a partition that's in the first 8 GB of your disk. This is straight from the printed manual that comes with X. There are NO restrictions on where 9 is placed.

[This message has been edited by Steve Sell (edited 03-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Steve Sell (edited 03-27-2001).]

Gregg
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2001, 10:27 AM

Steve, I picked up both bits of info on a board like this. That makes my source as good as anything I'll read here, doesn't it?

I had posted a similar topic on that board, in order to get educated. So, having come here, I've learned that this is not the way to learn. Obviously, experience is the best teacher.

I thought I'd pass on what I'd been told, because I "know" the source from past forum exchanges. You I don't know at all, but thanks for the warnings.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules