Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I open a PC CD-Rom?

How do I open a PC CD-Rom?
petercho
Apr 2, 2001, 10:01 AM

I feel embarrassed to be asking help for this, but I can't remeber how to do this! I have an iMac with OS 9.0.4 and none of the PC CD-Roms seem to mount. I created a CD from work with all the jpeg images I've been working on, but the mac says the disk is unreadable and want to format. What do you think is wrong, and how can I fix it? I created the disk so it's readable on most PCs. It opens on my old dumb dell. Is there a key combination to make it readable? Thanks in advance...

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2001, 10:56 AM

Hey, don't feel embarrassed! I'm not too proud to tell you I don't know either. Of course, I've never wanted/needed to do this. I've only used CDs right from the software company. Some do have both Mac and Windows versions, but I always assumed they also had two "keys" to get into either one as well.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2001, 02:14 PM

Depends on how the CD was burned. Hopefully its in a joilet format which I should be readable if you have the current "ISO 9660 File Access" extension installed. (it is part of Mac OS) If there is an option in your PC burning software for ISO 9660 compatible make sure you use that. After that the CD should mount and you can go through the files and folders like normal...although they will have generic icons.

deaconMPG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 01:00 AM

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=8017
[ If the link above doesn't work just go to http://www.versiontracker.com & search for "joliet" ]

This should point you to Joliet Volume Access �-� 1.3 some handy extensions that will read PC CDs. I use it alot for my poor misguided Pee-Cee friends.

baliset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 02:21 AM

If you have a CD burned into a PC format, it may be ISO-9660, but you need to know that the ISO-9660 extension alone may not do the job. If you get either of these symptoms, Joliet (mentioned above) will fix it.
1. Folders that seem to contain multiple copies of files with exactly the same name.
2. File names truncated to the DOS "8.3" format.

Joliet will fix both of these.

------------------
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]
Nathan Zamprogno,
Manager, Baliset Solutions
[email protected]

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 09:20 AM

thanks for that info Baliset, I wondered about how to get at files with more than one the same name.

Forum Links
Forum Rules