Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Installing Windows XP

Installing Windows XP
Theiinlive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 01:22 PM

Hey, could someone point me to some pretty simple instructions on using boot camp to install windows on a portion of my hard drive? I really just want to see if it works. And yes, I have an intel mac.

the disc is an .iso, could I use that? I also have a disc that I could try.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2007, 02:00 PM

Welcome to the MacNN Forums! I'm going to move this thread to our Alternative Operating Systems forum, where you will find TONS of information that will help you out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2007, 02:03 PM

You need a legit copy of XP.

Theiinlive  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You need a legit copy of XP.
have it.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 01:00 AM

Well... technically you don't NEED a legit copy of XP *nudge nudge wink wink* but you should have one anyway because you wouldn't want do do anything illegal would you? Obviously, you need something on a physical CD so you can insert it when time comes to install.

Other than that, just print out and follow the instructions that come with Boot Camp. It's not hard to do, but if you're not careful you can mess something up. Also backup your data no matter what.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Theiinlive  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 02:03 AM

Hey, here's an update:

I allotted 10GB for windows. I click install and it boots into my Windows XP disc. Everything runs fine then it asks me to press enter. I press both enter buttons on my Macbook Pro, neither work. So I try pressing F3, which is quit - nothing. THen, just to test, I press 'R' for repair. My keyboard doesn't work at all! So I restarted with holding down option and booted back into Mac OS.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Did I not put the Mac Drivers disc in at the right time or something?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Theiinlive View Post
Hey, here's an update:

I allotted 10GB for windows. I click install and it boots into my Windows XP disc. Everything runs fine then it asks me to press enter. I press both enter buttons on my Macbook Pro, neither work. So I try pressing F3, which is quit - nothing. THen, just to test, I press 'R' for repair. My keyboard doesn't work at all! So I restarted with holding down option and booted back into Mac OS.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Did I not put the Mac Drivers disc in at the right time or something?
Try an external keyboard. Just a thought.

Forum Links
Forum Rules