Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Vista 64 Mac Pro Sound Drivers?

Vista 64 Mac Pro Sound Drivers?
HamSammich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 01:54 AM

Understanding fully that the Boot Camp drivers are not yet an option, I installed Vista 64 on a 5gig ATI1900 Mac Pro. To my surprise and delight, Vista provides native drivers for the ATI, FireWire and the Airport Extreme. It does not, however, seem to have built-in support for the audio.

Could anyone tell me which chipset (Intel?) the Mac Pro uses for audio as well as where to find 64 bit drivers? Intel's website is stunningly unhelpful in this regard.

Thanks in advance,

Marshall
( Last edited by HamSammich; Feb 8, 2007 at 02:05 AM. )

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 03:27 AM

All I know is that Windows Device Manager says "Realtek High Definition Audio" and that if you go to their website they have a link to Vista 32/64-bit compatible "HD Audio Codec Driver".

As I'm using the 32 bit Vista I installed the one that comes with Boot Camp 1.1.2b and it works, however when I bring up the Sound Manager it tells me that the audio driver "is not designed for Windows Vista" and gives me a link to the Realtek website. Since it seems to work no problem I'm inclined to wait for Apple to release a Vista compatible driver pack, because last time I tried to mess with drivers in Windows I had to reinstall it.

Oh, and when I go to Information from the Realtek Sound Manager it says:
Audio driver version: 5.10.00.5288
DirectX Version: DirectX 10.0
Audio Controller: HD Audio
Audio Codec: ALC885

The README for the drivers from the above link appear to indicate they're for the ALC885, so, they should work.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Feb 8, 2007 at 03:36 AM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 04:02 AM

FYI I went ahead and installed that despite my reservations and it works fine.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

HamSammich  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 04:28 AM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Anyone out there running 64, though?

celebrimbor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by HamSammich View Post
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Anyone out there running 64, though?
Hi, I have installed both 32 and 64bit Vista Ultimate to my Mac Pro, I have found the sound card driver via realtek website, just google it as" realtek high definition vista driver"... also updated he display card driver which is ati x1900 on ati website (date 29Jan2007). The only problem I have the bluetooth driver (does anybody know where can I find it) and unknown items on device manager (base system device and usb human interface device)...

and also on vista 32bit I have only 2 gig ram while on 64bt full (10 gig)...

mac pro spefic:
3.0ghz
10gig
1.75 terrabyte
ati x1900
23" Apple display

Matrix_ESAG
Apr 5, 2007, 07:48 AM

Hey ppl

I've got Mac OS X on my laptop which runs on a motherboard acer w/ a AMD Turion 64 @ 2,0GHz, 512MB Ram and installed on a partition of 35Gb and an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 256 MB.

It runs sweet perfectly, i mean, usb is ok, my graphic card gives Mac OS X a wonderful aspect and bla bla bla all tose things u probably know.

But (there's allways a but) i've got a Raltek High Definition Sound Card wich is not detected by apple system. I would like to know if someone knows or got any driver for it.... if u do please tell me something to my e-mail ([email protected]), cause as a multimedia producer, my brand new iPC (as i cal it...loool) is quite useless..:S please if u can give me here a lil' help

thanks...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2007, 09:16 AM

The management frowns upon discussions related to stealing software and illegally installing it on unsupported devices.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Matrix_ESAG View Post
Hey ppl

I've got Mac OS X on my laptop which runs on a motherboard acer w/ a AMD Turion 64 @ 2,0GHz, 512MB Ram and installed on a partition of 35Gb and an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 256 MB.

It runs sweet perfectly, i mean, usb is ok, my graphic card gives Mac OS X a wonderful aspect and bla bla bla all tose things u probably know.

But (there's allways a but) i've got a Raltek High Definition Sound Card wich is not detected by apple system. I would like to know if someone knows or got any driver for it.... if u do please tell me something to my e-mail ([email protected]), cause as a multimedia producer, my brand new iPC (as i cal it...loool) is quite useless..:S please if u can give me here a lil' help

thanks...
No can do. For a number of reasons, we WILL NOT support users who install OS X on non-Apple hardware. Period. One BIG reason is that this practice is a violation of the Apple licensing agreement, which is enforceable in many jurisdictions where MacNN might have a physical presence, because it is possible that MacNN might be sued along with the license violator. Further, this sort of practice borders on "warez," which is also completely off limits in the MacNN forums.

Also, this forum is for running something other than a Mac OS on a Mac.

And just what the heck does your request have to do with the Visa 64 bit edition's sound drivers for the Mac Pro?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ktheurer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 02:10 PM

Well, but this is exactly what are you doing with Windows Vista, or all the people here but a retail package of Windows Vista???

Most of you should be using a pirate copy of Windows Vista, or a copy or a Windows Vista intalled in another computer, this is similar to install the Mac OS X in a standard PC.

The problem is that Apple is not selling the license for OS X for Intel, but Microsoft is selling license for the Windows Vista.

I know, since you a Mac forum you should be legal to avoid porblems with Apple, but don't forget that you can have problems with Microsoft instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules