Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Encryption Key Secure with Apple?

Encryption Key Secure with Apple?
Ron K
Aug 24, 2014, 08:02 AM

This is the first time that I have encrypted my hard drive using FireVault, and want to have a secure location to store the encryption key. I opted in to have it stored with Apple but now I am having misgivings since I remembered that Apple may have shared information with the NSA, which may mean that the NSA could simply demand that Apple turn over the encryption key. Does anyone have experience with this? If I had not stored my encryption key with Apple, would it have been more secure (provided that I have my own private storage? In other words, can Apple access my encryption key even if I did not store it with them? Thanks ahead
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

Ron K  (op)
Aug 24, 2014, 08:38 AM

I just found the answer to my question by reading this link;
How to Encrypt Files and Folders on Mac OS X - Tom's Guide

First, make sure you have an Internet connection, then check the box next to either "Store the recovery key with Apple" or "Do not store the recovery key with Apple." If you choose to store your key with Apple, be aware that, as we learned from the top-secret documents leaked by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden, the U.S. government can force tech companies to turn over data on its users.

So much for Apple security. I will be re-encrypting my hard drive to change the encryption key and will NOT store it with Apple
( Last edited by Ron K; Aug 24, 2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: quote clarification)
2014 (mid) MBP: 15" with Retina display; 2.2GHz Intel quad Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 Flash Storage

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2014, 08:54 AM

Get a small USB "thumb" drive and store your keys (and any other really private stuff) on it. Encrypt away. Store your USB device somewhere physically safe - and not always in the computer's USB port. Problem solved. This lets you use REALLY complex keys, which makes it much harder to attack the encrypted result, and prevents most brute force attacks from ever succeeding (within the expected lifetime of the universe, anyway).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2014, 06:26 AM

So what are you trying to hide Ron?

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules