Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Extension Manager Crashes

Extension Manager Crashes
graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 07:59 AM

I'm trying to troubleshoot an extension conflict but everytime I select "Mac OS 9 All" and try to duplicate it it crashes. I just get a system error that says "Extensions Manager Address Error" and thats it - restart. I'm going nuts trying to do this. If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. TIA

Jim

caifara
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 09:54 AM

running your fix cd could help

-c
-c

petek
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 01:25 PM

Try increasing the memory allocation to EM.

graphixmaker  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2001, 02:00 AM

Thanks! It was the memory allocation. It was at 438k so I put it at 1024. Thank you, I was going insane.

Jim

Gregg
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2001, 10:22 AM

I wonder what the default is. I'll have to look at mine when I get home. Picking up tips like this is one of the benefits of coming here. Thanks.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

petek
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2001, 08:44 AM

Glad I could help. I've found the EM memory allocation to be a puzzle myself. Some people have needed to bump it while others have no problem with the default. I haven't seen any relationship to hardware.

When I first installed OS 9.1, I had to bump EM up to 1024. I then had unrelated disk problems (which, knock wood, I've fixed) and after installing 9.1 on the reformatted disk, EM worked fine with the default memory allocation. Maybe it's just a very marginal allocation?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2001, 10:46 AM

Mine was at the default, and although I've not had any problem with it, I bumped it up anyway. I do that to almost all of my apps, except the ones that have the same number in all three places in the Info window. I changed one like that once, and got an error message telling me not to do that! I also noticed (finally) that many items in the Control Panels folder are really applications. Since I view them as icons, I was unaware of this. (Duh!) So, I bumped up all the ones with varying numbers. Thanks again.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules