Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Power Mac 6500 RAM Question

Power Mac 6500 RAM Question
Danoir
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2001, 09:53 PM

I have a friend who I am counselling with a memory upgrade for her Power Mac 6500. She currently has only 32MB in one of the two slots. After poking around on the web we found her a 128 MB chip for very little money. However, after she looked in her manual, it told her that she could not put more than a 64MB chip in each slot, making the total capacity only 128. Is this true? Is there a workaround? Should she just buy two 64MB chips? She does not have much time before she is supposed to return the 128 chip so I would appreciate it if someone could answer our questions. Thanks.

D

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2001, 12:28 AM

"g?�"d7?riginally posted by Danoir:
I have a friend who I am counselling with a memory upgrade for her Power Mac 6500. She currently has only 32MB in one of the two slots. After poking around on the web we found her a 128 MB chip for very little money. However, after she looked in her manual, it told her that she could not put more than a 64MB chip in each slot, making the total capacity only 128. Is this true? Is there a workaround? Should she just buy two 64MB chips? She does not have much time before she is supposed to return the 128 chip so I would appreciate it if someone could answer our questions. Thanks.

D
[/QUOTE]
The memory controller for the 6500 only supports 128 MB max... meaning that it will only technically recongnize 128 MB (a pair of 64 MB Dimms). It is possible that the 128 MB Dimm would work, but the results could be unpredictable (meaning that there might not be any problems and it would work, or it might work for a while, or it might not work at all -- which was the case for a couple of machines in our office) To be on the safe side, I would go with the two 64MB dimms....
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules