Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which is a good external case for a dvd burner?

Which is a good external case for a dvd burner?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2004, 01:56 AM

Hi,

I'm about to place an order for a pioneer dual layer internal dvd burner. I'd like to get an external case for it, but am not sure which one is good. I think I will be ordering from newegg.com (thanks to many of you), but they have so many.

Can you please tell me which one is the best in terms of compatibility, design, features, etc.?

Thanks so much!!

HoOn
Dec 21, 2004, 11:53 AM

I always order my external cases from directron.com. Awesome store and you have lots of shipping choices. I ordered my external 2.5 HDD enclosure on Friday morning and received it yesterday (Monday) via USPS Priority. They have lots of cool enclosures that are aluminum which is great for heat.

Good luck!

- John

ps Their prices are also very inexpensive. Oh I don't work for them I'm just a very happy customer.
----------
15" 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 08:07 PM

I order enclosures from NewEgg.com all the time. I particularly like the Macally Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosures. They have nice ribbons to connect to the drive that can be safely twisted when necessary, and assembling them is actually kind of fun and satisfying.

Plus, it impresses the hell out of most non-techie bosses when you can build your own external drive for cheaper than one bought off the shelf! So, not only is it a good product, it's also good for your career.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2004, 01:39 AM

Search newegg for coolmax. I have one of their enclosures and its been great. I got it from newegg too.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2004, 08:31 AM

Hi,

Thanks!!

Seeing that I prefer firewire and that I would have to get a firewire/usb 2.0 model, do you think $120 ($75 for the drive + $50 for the case) for my own setup would be more worthwhile than the $180-$200 for the lacie?

I know that the lacie comes with toast, but I already have it.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules