Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Blizzard silencing their customers (disgusted)

Blizzard silencing their customers (disgusted)
Cipher13
Apr 17, 2006, 03:29 AM

...on their forums.

So, it's a public holiday today, so work is fairly quiet.

Not much to do, so I was checking out the WoW forum, and making some posts.

SIX times I attempted to post to threads, to find they were deleted.

Including this thread, posting it below (it no longer exists at that URL):

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=1#post7923555

-----------------------------------------------

Working as Intended, Blizzard?

Grundy:

Currently, there is a bit of an issue with melee classes versus casters.

The issue is that when casting a spell, the caster cannot move, allowing the melee class run in circles around the caster, essentially making it impossible to cast a spell on that player.

Now, I am aware that casters are able to turn as they cast. That would be the perfect fix, but throw lag into the mix and there is a bit of a problem. Often times while throwing a mind blast, there is a Rogue sprinting around me that it makes it difficult to cast it. Now, I understand thats working as intended, but usually even when I'm looking directly at the player, it still tells me "Target needs to be in front of you" becuase they are actually behind me, but it hasn't registered for me yet, due to lag.

This is a larger issue in PvP then it seems, I find myself flubbing MBs all the time becuase "target needs to be in front of you" When the target appears to be in front of me.

Is there a plan to fix this issue? I don't see how it could be just ignored, there must be a way to fix it without breaking the game, perhaps giving casters the ability to cast within melee range no matter if they are looking at them or not? I think that would be overpowered, but there needs to be a way to fix this.

This is an exploit in my eyes. If you have ever played a casting class, and then switched to a Rogue, or Warrior, you know how terribly easy it is to completely destroy a Priest or Warlock (harder against a mage, but still viable) using this meathod of movement. Moving through their character at the last second of their cast.

After playing a Priest to 60, then playing a Rogue to 60, I have the timing down where, if they are casting anything at me I can count it and move through them at the last second so it is flubbed. I can do this about 9 times out of 10, and its pretty lame that I am able to do this. It completely gimps casters.

Oh, and on top of it, when you throw in things such as Nifty Stopwatch, Sprint, etc. It makes killing a caster much much easier.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system is good, and it works. BUT, when you throw lag (even 1/10th of a second) into the equation, it pretty much negates the whole thing, and it becomes a game breaking issue, as it already has.
-

Oddity:

the shooting through trees, walls from mountain tops etc etc makes up for it ten times fold.
-

Fameus:

DoT's
-

Ruddyman:

Been through this before, it's not an exploit. Casters that have an opponent at range can dps freely while the melee guy can't do squat. When in melee range, the situation changes. Melee classes should have the advantage in melee range, no?
-

Atherakhia:

The problem with the whole melee vs range argument is it is far easier for a melee to close to range and keep their target there then it is for a caster to stay at range and keep their target there.
----------------------------------------

After I had typed my reply, and attempted to post it, the next page said "Post not found", and the old post had been deleted and replaced by a blank post by "WoW Stress Tester".

The post was removed from the frontpage.

I then made my own thread on the forum, asking why a legit thread was deleted - this thread was deleted about 10 minutes later.

Bloody Blizzard.

/disgusted

PS. Yes, I'm aware that they are, indeed, "their" forums and can do what they like. I'm not contesting that.

PPS. Yes, I'm aware that using the word "Blizzard" in the thread title is "frowned upon" (in their own words), but is no cause for "moderation", as per Blizzard's own forum rules.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 03:52 AM

Perhaps they've fixed the problem already and do not care to see extra talk about a moot issue.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2006, 03:54 AM

Remember when Apple used to delete posts then send a nasty email. Now they just ignore all posts! Which is worse?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 04:02 AM

Were they all about topics that get about eleventy billion threads a day? Was it like, "Casters vs. melee," "Nerf shammies," "OMGDEATHCOIL!!!!" and "Casual epics"?

Also, threads about deleted threads will almost always be deleted.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Cipher13  (op)
Apr 17, 2006, 06:23 PM

No, they haven't fixed the problem.

No, it isn't a commonly posted issue.

Nor were the other threads.

If you check the forum occasionally, you'll see the theads that get posted a hundred times *do not* get deleted, while anything that may suggest that Blizzard is even slightly less than perfect is gone quicker than you can post.

I know Blizzard have us by the balls, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it... people won't stop playing.

But, to the Blizzard employees that read this forum: people are playing WoW because there's nothing better out there. The second there is, though, people will drop WoW like a sack of ****. People don't like Blizzard, as a company - the customer service is pathetic (GMs? *laugh*), the server infrastructure is beyond a joke (I don't care how hardcore it is - make it work, so we get what we pay for).

I can't wait for something to match WoW so I can rid myself of Blizzard.

Such a shame... things started so amazingly well.
( Last edited by Cipher13; Apr 17, 2006 at 06:34 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 07:16 PM

I'm extremely saddened to hear that things haven't changed one bit. I started playing during the open beta...the first week after launch was hell...laggy as hell...Blizzard at least gave everyone that started playing since day one a few free days of play.

But as months went by, there was still lag and various problems (bugs and gameplay imbalances) with the game that frustrated me to no end. I quit playing in May 2005 almost a year ago and the GMs still treat everyone like ****? The customer service still sucks? There are still gameplay imbalances and ridiculous bugs in the game?

I'm disappointed. I had told myself, I'd take a break and restart playing once all the classes had gotten their facelift or even wait for the expansion but it looks like I'll just skip WoW altogether.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13
No, they haven't fixed the problem.

No, it isn't a commonly posted issue.
Casters vs. melee isn't a commonly posted issue? Are you kidding me? It's topped only by "Nerf shamans," which is done so often it's become a joke.

If you check the forum occasionally, you'll see the theads that get posted a hundred times *do not* get deleted, while anything that may suggest that Blizzard is even slightly less than perfect is gone quicker than you can post.
This is simply wrong. I can open the general forum at any time of day and half the posts on the first page will be negative. Tseric and Caydiem (and our own tooki) have posted on this subject before: It's very hard to come up with a happy medium between allowing a free-for-all and appearing draconian. Generally, almost any moderation will get you accused of "censorship" by the people whose posts got closed, whether or not there was any merit to it.

At any rate, there are lots of negative threads, and blues even post in them sometimes if they think there's useful suggestions there. So clearly your suggested reason for why the thread was deleted is not correct.

I know Blizzard have us by the balls, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it... people won't stop playing.

But, to the Blizzard employees that read this forum: people are playing WoW because there's nothing better out there. The second there is, though, people will drop WoW like a sack of ****. People don't like Blizzard, as a company - the customer service is pathetic (GMs? *laugh*), the server infrastructure is beyond a joke (I don't care how hardcore it is - make it work, so we get what we pay for).

I can't wait for something to match WoW so I can rid myself of Blizzard.
People have been saying this forever, and that magic game just around the corner still hasn't come out. It appears that even matching what Blizzard has done is a lot more difficult than people would like to believe, because nobody has come close in the two years WOW has been out. Given the history of MMOGs, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the next one will have server trouble as well.
Chuck
___

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 06:53 AM

Blizzard went from being awesome to yet-another-massive-gaming-company
thats why i stopped playing.
Sorry Rob, it is no longer fun when GMs are rude and clueless, when servers crash constantly and the WoW boards are just insulting.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Cipher13  (op)
Apr 18, 2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Casters vs. melee isn't a commonly posted issue? Are you kidding me? It's topped only by "Nerf shamans," which is done so often it's become a joke.

This is simply wrong. I can open the general forum at any time of day and half the posts on the first page will be negative. Tseric and Caydiem (and our own tooki) have posted on this subject before: It's very hard to come up with a happy medium between allowing a free-for-all and appearing draconian. Generally, almost any moderation will get you accused of "censorship" by the people whose posts got closed, whether or not there was any merit to it.

At any rate, there are lots of negative threads, and blues even post in them sometimes if they think there's useful suggestions there. So clearly your suggested reason for why the thread was deleted is not correct.

People have been saying this forever, and that magic game just around the corner still hasn't come out. It appears that even matching what Blizzard has done is a lot more difficult than people would like to believe, because nobody has come close in the two years WOW has been out. Given the history of MMOGs, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the next one will have server trouble as well.
Well, you're obviously not up to date with what's going on in the WoW forum. The majority of posts are either about nerfing shadow priests, warlocks, or about posts getting deleted.

Check General - loads of mindless crap, and constructive posts being deleted.

Why argue when you don't know what's going on?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 07:14 PM

This from the guy who thinks "Casters have to sit still!" and "The servers are laggy!" are new ideas? Perhaps you just haven't been paying attention, but those are really, really, really not new topics. Remember the whole World of Roguecraft series about how casters vs. melee is imbalanced?
Chuck
___

Cipher13  (op)
Apr 18, 2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
This from the guy who thinks "Casters have to sit still!" and "The servers are laggy!" are new ideas? Perhaps you just haven't been paying attention, but those are really, really, really not new topics. Remember the whole World of Roguecraft series about how casters vs. melee is imbalanced?
Not new ideas. I never said that, so don't put words into my mouth.

I never mentioned laggy servers, either. Stop making things up.

The issue I'm talking about is not a "hot topic" - every second thread is about the new race. Those aren't all being deleted (though some are). Check the General forum to prove that.

It was a constructive post, and something that has NOT been commented on by Blizzard at any point. Rather, they just throw away any post that mentions any kind of game-breaking imbalance.

The POINT of my post, which you seem to have missed, is Blizzard's behaviour. If this issue has been discussed before? Link to the discussion thread and lock the post.

What's so hard about that?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2006, 09:51 AM

Wow.. Even the official WoW forum gets sick and tired of WoW posts!? Glad to see it isn't just Macnn then.

Ok ok, I jest.. In fairness, a lot of companies do this. And its annoying, granted. But there is sweet FA you can do about it. Apart from grumble about it elsewhere, such as here! if you wanted to upset them a bit more, then you could always post your thoughts back there, and mention that you are spreading the word to places like this. Yes they will probably delete that too. But you will be satisfied knowing that they are 'aware', and they can't do anything about you posting your thoughts elsewhere either. It will encourage them to do something about the gremlins, and maybe even be a bit more lenient/considerate in future. Maybe not to you, but to others in future..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules