Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook fan almost always on . . .

TiBook fan almost always on . . .
absmiths
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 06:14 PM

After some update (maybe 10.3.1) I noticed that the fan on my TiBook 667 comes on quite frequently. I can reboot the computer and let it sit at the logon screen and the fan will eventually come on, and stay on until I shut it down. Is there a known event which causes this (particular version of Airport Software, OS, etc)? It is quite frustrating and worries me that the machine is doing more than I think it is . . .

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 06:52 PM

What speed fan? Is it the hair-dryer fan, or the constant gentle hum in the background? Is the bottom getting scorching hot or just the usual very toasty? I know you can't use any temperature monitoring software on the early Ti, more's the pity.

I presume you've repaired permissions and run fsck -yf, and that you have at least 512 MB RAM (if you have less you should resign yourself to having only the minimum of software open...) On the other hand, if the loud fan comes on even while the PB is waiting at the log in prompt, then the RAM isn't the issue.

If your HD very, very full? If OS X doesn't have enough empty HD space for its VM scheme, then it starts bogging down.

Anyway, please post some details about your setup, there may indeed be a small fix that would make it somewhat more palatable.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 07:29 PM

I would be running MenuMeters to monitor your processing. You should be able to find it at VersionTracker. It's a good app that nakes you feel like you know what you are doing!

I have a 667 Ti and my precious gets quite hot at times. Airflow is very important, so I have gotten into a habit of wedged a book underneath it to improve air circulation.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
if the loud fan comes on even while the PB is waiting at the log in prompt, then the RAM isn't the issue.
I think that this is occuring after a reboot, so it is already "hot" so to speak, so fans at login are not out of the ordinary.

absmiths  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 10:09 PM

Here is some more info:

All updates applied.

512 MB RAM
28GB HD, 1.1 GB free.

I haven't run permissions to try and fix this problem, but I run them periodically. I just ran fsck and repair permissions. The fsck was almost instant - it took about 10 seconds and didn't output anything I do have a firewire HD connected all the time - does that do it?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 19, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Here is some more info:

28GB HD, 1.1 GB free.
Well, here's what I think is happening:
-- you should keep at least 10% HD space free, period. Some people even recommend 15%, but in any case your HD is way too full. The HD doesn't have enough room to run the VM necessary for OS X, and it's having to work way too hard...

You should archive and delete files until you have at least 3, preferably 5 GB free.

absmiths  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
Well, here's what I think is happening:
-- you should keep at least 10% HD space free, period. Some people even recommend 15%, but in any case your HD is way too full. The HD doesn't have enough room to run the VM necessary for OS X, and it's having to work way too hard...

You should archive and delete files until you have at least 3, preferably 5 GB free.
Unfortunately, almost all the space is either used by the OS or applications which REALLY like their files to be in the home directory (like iPhoto, iTunes). I could move the iTunes music folder (the biggest offender by a long shot) but synchronization with my iPod would be impossible since my external drive is FW (I would have to unplug it to plug in the iPod).

Isn't the pagefile considered as part of the used space? What I mean is, with the pagefiles necessary to run the system, I still have 1.1 GB free, right? Is there any way I can tell how big the currently allocated swap files are? I was under the impression that OS X used fairly small files (as opposed to Windows' huge ones).

Ω
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 09:07 PM

Their is a terminal command though I lost it

MenuMeters will give you all this information

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2004, 03:06 PM

I have had a similar problem in the past with my Ti 867. Mine also started with 10.3.1. I have plenty of hard drive space and I keep my Ti on an iCurve at work. Found that if I reset the PMU once in a while (every couple of months) that the problem seems to go away. Sure the fan quietly runs here and there but not loudly like it did before and not shutting off. Never had the problem under Jaguar or the original build of Panther (10.3.0) but it started with 10.3.1. Maybe a software glitch that keeps something running in the backgroud and causes the comuter to get hot too much? Dunno.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 21, 2004, 04:17 PM

The 10% minimum free disk space is pretty well established and I do think that is responsible for much of your problem. Also, you're going to start getting a whole bunch of bizarre problems because of diminishing disk space.

From your description, your Tunes are the root of the problem. You need to backup all your music by burning the collection to CD (or DVD?) Then, you set your iPod to be managed manually. Keep your most popular music on the laptop, any tunes that you'd be likely to listen to while working on the laptop. Delete the other tunes from the laptop.

Look up Apple's info on manual Tunes management, like establishing playlists that are the basis for what syncs to the iPod. Then, as you digitize new music, you drag it to one of the playlists set to sync, do a manual sync, backup the music, and delete from your HD.

Alternative: Get a bigger HD, put the 30 GB an external portable case. When you get around to selling, or donating the Ti to family, put the original HD back in and migrate to the new laptop with your larger HD.

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 10:09 AM

Yes--a bigger hard drive will save you a lot of grief.

todrain
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 11:06 AM

I really can't say that the fan is on more now than it was in the past, but when I'm on battery, the fan is on a lot less! I use it in reduced processor speeed mode, so that could be the reason. (I also usually use the PB in clamshell mode when it's plugged in, since I use an external monitor, mouse and keyboard when at home. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

My TI800 started having fan issues about a week ago. I wonder if this was caused by one of the recent updates. It's happened to me once or twice before, and has always gone back to normal after a week or two.

Forum Links
Forum Rules