Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Are thumb drives known to die?

Are thumb drives known to die?
starman
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2004, 06:31 PM

Hi all,
This SanDisk 256MB thumb drive I bought at Fry's in CA during WWDC last year just died on me. Causes my G4 Powerbook to lock up, and my G5 to have a kernel panic. My Windows machine hasn't crashed (yet). I'm trying to get the data off it but it seems to be corrupted.

Is this common?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 07:16 PM

I don't think that is common at all. You do have to keep the drive away from static electricity, and never remove the drive without ejecting it first.

Chris

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2004, 07:25 PM

I always do. In fact, I made sure I did it on Friday when I last used it.

The question now is - is this thing shot? Can I reformat it?

Mike

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I always do. In fact, I made sure I did it on Friday when I last used it.

The question now is - is this thing shot? Can I reformat it?

Mike
Yes just reformat it. Any Mac or PC format tool should work but if you want to you can use the Sandisk utility.

ender2002
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 10:51 PM

I have the EXACT same problem. I was given the Sandisk cuzer mini as a present and after ejecting it, neither my iBook or PowerMac will recognize it. The green led flashes once and that's it. No computer (including windows) can see it.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
I have the EXACT same problem. I was given the Sandisk cuzer mini as a present and after ejecting it, neither my iBook or PowerMac will recognize it. The green led flashes once and that's it. No computer (including windows) can see it.
I at least can grab some files off of it.

I know HOW to format it, I'm concerned about how reliable the thing is now that it failed once already.

Mike

todrain
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 11:11 AM

Wow, I never heard of them failing before, but just like any other storage medium, it's best to make sure you have a backup!

My iPhoto library is on my powerbook, external drive, iPod and on DVD just be sure that if there was a problem. (like the house burning down.... hey, it happend to my brother!) I couldn't ever replace most of the pictures, since you know, christmas of 2001 isn't going to happen again anytime soon!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2004, 11:42 AM

It is a piece of hardware, after all. So if it isn't working, I would suggest taking advantage of any warranty that may apply. They tend to be reliable, so if your's isn't you should get a new one.

Jens Peter
Senior User
May 23, 2004, 12:05 PM

I just had my thumbdrive die on me, last weekend. I could see the drive in Disc Utility, but it was 'read-only' so I could not do anything. My windows machine showed the same; read-only and not able to anything.
I went to the store, and got a new one under warranty...

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 23, 2004, 12:10 PM

I have a friend who works in the computers dept of the local college. He ordered a set of 40 or so Disgo usb pen drives for students to use instead of floppy or zip disks. Quite a few of them have failed, he thinks because of the marker pen type top for the usb plug is pulling the thing apart when you put the top on and off, killing the connection after its been used heavily. Just an idea to what might be happening.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
May 23, 2004, 12:42 PM

I've seen scores of these things in heavy action (not the pen style, though) and have only known a couple to fail.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

Cipher13
May 26, 2004, 06:02 PM

It's the nature of the beast.

They're a flash drive, and as such, they have a limited number of writes before they degrade.

They're a consumable.

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 06:31 PM

Yep, as cipher said, all forms of flash (or at least most) degrade with time.
Aloha

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2004, 11:43 PM

I had the same problem on my Apacer 128MB USB2.0 thumb drive. Its was fine on the 1st 2 weeks after purchase. After that it crashed my G4 whenever i try to copy file larger then 1MB into it. After a few time retrying it don't even mount on my OS9, only OSX. When I bring it back to my PC, it doesnt even recgonise by the system.

I'm very sure I eject it everytime before i remove it from the USB port, and the port I used is the one on the CPU, not on the keyboard. Because the OS said the device need more power and need to use the USB port on the CPU directly.

And now I've to send it back for warranty claim.
is that something to do with the OS or my G4??
( Last edited by wei; May 26, 2004 at 11:48 PM. )

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
May 27, 2004, 02:39 AM

They're a flash drive, and as such, they have a limited number of writes before they degrade.

They're a consumable.
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

Forum Links
Forum Rules