Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro crashing a lot?

Macbook Pro crashing a lot?
Source
Apr 5, 2006, 08:46 AM

Hi all,

Okay, first, I've had my Powerbook G4 1.5GHz for almost 2 years. I have carried it with me every single day to and from work, running to catch trains and buses, it's travelled with me on friday nights out ... Once, I even used my laptop backpack to stop the doors from closing on a train (not recommended!), and the laptop is still completely perfect.

So as soon as the Macbook Pro was released, two people at work ordered them at my suggestion, and a further six are looking to buy as soon as they can.

Both the guys here are reporting to me that the Macbook crashes occasionally and for one of them it's happening more and more often. Since they're PC users, this doesn't seem like such a huge deal to them, except for the fact that they are brand new computers. However, my Powerbook has crashed maybe one or twice in the whole time that I've had it, and since I'm considering buying a Macbook Pro very soon, this is slightly disconcerting to me.

I'm trying to figure out why this would happen... Is it #1 because the Macbook is running apps through Rosetta or #2 because the Macbook gets so hot? (and I have noticed that it does get a hell of a lot hotter than my Powerbook.

Cheers guys.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 09:46 AM

What do you mean by the MacBook crashing? I don't think the computer can crash. The OS can crash and the applications can crash. I've had a few apps crash on my MBP. No more than I've ever had on any other machine. So far, the OS hasn't ever crashed.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 09:59 AM

OS X hasn't crashed once in the week that I've had the MBP, though a week is a short time - I fully expect the OS to remain stable for the foreseeable future. I've had a couple of Rosetta applications crash on me - but nothing regular and nothing too dramatic.

If your colleagues are having more serious problems, perhaps they should check their RAM is installed correctly - did they add memory themselves?

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 10:13 AM

I've had one minor Application crash - Safari wasn't playing nice with a website, as I remember - but that's the extent of it in nearly a month.

I agree with mintcake - if they installed RAM themselves, or bought RAM that wasn't quite compatible (like, say, the 1GB Corsair Stick on NewEgg), that may be the problem.

Source  (op)
Apr 5, 2006, 10:51 AM

Nope - neither installed ram themselves, although the one who's having the most problems did get extra ram installed by Apple to take him up to 1GB.

And when I say 'crash' I mean the system hangs and you cannot click or do anything with any application.

OreoCookie
Apr 5, 2006, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I have that a lot. Read: A LOT. It's kinda annoying and I don't see any reason for it. In my case, the RAM has been replaced already once (my dealer accidentally put in two 512 MB modules instead of one 1 GB module).

I have started a new thread about this below with 0 resonance, though … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules