Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I need some software like Adobe Captivate - is there a Mac equivalent?

I need some software like Adobe Captivate - is there a Mac equivalent?
Source
Aug 21, 2007, 07:52 PM

I've switched to Mac and I've just realised Captivate only works in Windows - is there a Mac equivalent? It's basically just a piece of software that records whatever is on your screen.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2007, 07:58 PM

Either iShowU 1.43 - MacUpdate

or

Snapz Pro X 2.1 - MacUpdate

Combine with OmniDazzle and/or Mouseposé to add focus to the elements on screen and to show key presses.
( Last edited by JKT; Aug 21, 2007 at 08:06 PM. )

Source  (op)
Aug 21, 2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks JKT!

Would you recommend any one of them above the other?

Cheers!

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 04:14 AM

iShowU is great if all you need to do is video capture (and cheaper). SnapzProX does much more than just video capture (but is more expensive).

Btw, if all you want to do is grab screenshots this is built into the OS and you don't need a programme for it:

Command-shift-3 will grab a screenshot of the whole screen.

Command-shift-4 will present crosshairs for dragging to grab a screenshot of area of the screen.

Command-shift-4 followed by spacebar will allow you to grab defined areas of the screen (inidividual windows, the dock, the menubar, etc.)

The above combos will drop an image file on your desktop. If you hold down the option key at the same time as the above, the image will be captured to the clipboard instead so that you can paste it elsewhere.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 04:28 AM

Sorry, I meant control (i.e. command-control-shift-3) and not option for capturing to the clipboard

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 03:27 PM

To the OP: I've been working with Captivate for a while, since it was RoboDemo. There's nothing that replicates all its functionality on the Mac, unfortunately. It's the main reason I keep Windows on my Intel Mac. SnapZ Pro is okay for basic functions, but doesn't have any advanced development environment.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules