Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bad news for prospective UK iPhone owners!

Bad news for prospective UK iPhone owners!
Source
Sep 17, 2007, 09:14 AM

Engadget is reporting that o2 have won the rights to be the Apple iPhone European carrier.

Now, when I thought T-Mobile was going to be the exclusive carrier, I was cool with it, because they offer 'Unlimited internet browsing' with their tarrifs. But o2 charge £3 for every megabyte of data downloaded!

I really hope that I'm being completely retarded and reading this incorrectly, because if that's the case, then there is absolutely no way I can justify buying iPhones for myself and my colleagues/employees - hell - I wouldn't even consider it!

£3 is an absolutely outrageous price per meg! I may consider unlocking the iPhone and going with T-Mobile, if they are offering anything but unlimited internet browsing with the iPhone. This phone was practically made for browsing on the go, with the best mobile browser available, so to charge those kind of prices is quite frankly, a joke.

Let's hope I'm just being blind and missing some text somewhere, or that they'll offer a different tariff with the iPhone.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2007, 09:24 AM

I think they will probably make a special iPhone tarrif (living in hope). Having said that, we've been waiting so long that i doubt most ppl will care!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Source  (op)
Sep 17, 2007, 09:34 AM

I hope so, Rich. I've never really been a fan of O2's pricing plans - hence why they're the only mobile carrier I've never used - so I'm hoping they offer something decent.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 09:46 AM

Apple wouldn't sign on with any carrier that wanted to charge a per-megabyte fee.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 17, 2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Apple wouldn't sign on with any carrier that wanted to charge a per-megabyte fee.
I agree. It wouldn't make sense.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 10:55 AM

well, we'll find out tomorrow I guess !

the other big question is 3G or not 3G ? The rumors are looking like a big fat 'no'. I think this is a big ironic because the iPhone is probably the first phone that would really get a benefit from 3G for the average user. Even so, I seriously doubt that the networks would be at all happy with an unlimited 3G tariff for the iPhone.

I'm going to make my decision after tomorrow's announcement. If the iPhone is on a limited O2 tariff, and is the same non-3G model that's in the USA, then I'm going to either forget about it until the second generation and keep my order for the Touch; or cancel the Touch and buy a USA phone on eBay and unlock it for use on my current carrier.

If Apple are serious about the mobile and/or convergence market, they need to bring about a 3G iPhone on an unlimited data plan for Europe. Anything less will be a case of all style, and no substance

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2007, 11:25 AM

Apple, once again, is positively affecting a market for the good of the consumer by forcing companies to lower their rates. In the area of digital music, Apple forced music companies to keep songs at 99 cents. In this market, Apple's influence will end the insane data pricing that most companies employ and instead will force mobile companies to compete for the unlimited data customers which will grow in great numbers.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2007, 11:32 AM

T-Mobile UK has almost zero EDGE coverage. No EDGE = no iPhone !
This is why they have choosen o2.
This also indicates why there will be no 3G version of the iPhone (in the near future).

nexus5.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2007, 02:49 PM

Well, supposedly Orange is the only UK network with any significant EDGE system, so I'm not sure what that means.

I'd imagine that O2 will create an all-you-can-eat package for data; Apple probably require it. T-Mobile isn't a great carrier outside of the UK's cities and even here in London it isn't very good. My office is bang between The City and The West End and I can't use my T-Mobile phone properly there. I also get a lot of calls that simply report "you have dialed an incorrect number". I do wonder whether that's my W880 though, the RAZR I had before seemed a little better.

I'd be happy to go with an iPhone on O2, but it won't be for a year as I signed an 18 month contract with T in April :-(

biscuit

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Source View Post
£3 is an absolutely outrageous price per meg!
Come to Canada, $50 per meg here. We won't be getting the iPhone anytime soon.

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by redhot_nyc View Post
Come to Canada, $50 per meg here. We won't be getting the iPhone anytime soon.
More like $1/meg(you can get a 5mb surfing plan from rogers for $5 more on your bill), which is still ridiculous compare to unlimited data for $20 a month. The best we have is 200mb for $200 a month(I think the $200 only covers data, not the rest of your phone bill).

Forum Links
Forum Rules