Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Glossy to Matte possible?

Glossy to Matte possible?
joe
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 12:25 AM

This is not a criticism of the new iMacs or a rehash of the glossy/matte debate. I'm just wondering if there are any 3rd party options available for those wanting an anti-glare display. Maybe a cover or polarize overlay? Or something like the iPod/iPhone screen protectors but in a matte finish? Or even a replacement etched glass or etching service for the stock glass?

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2008, 12:29 AM

Anything you add can only reduce the quality of the display, unfortunately.

Cheapest option...

Darkened room !!

I went for the refurbished (matt) option, very pleased.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
This is not a criticism of the new iMacs or a rehash of the glossy/matte debate. I'm just wondering if there are any 3rd party options available for those wanting an anti-glare display. Maybe a cover or polarize overlay? Or something like the iPod/iPhone screen protectors but in a matte finish? Or even a replacement etched glass or etching service for the stock glass?
Criticism is good, and the glossy glare displays, that you can't calibrate, deserve it. I will never buy such a machine.

Your options are a cinema display with either a mini or a MacPro (it doesn't have to be a new one).

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 02:38 AM

Or you can find a refurbished 24" matte display iMac. Those are great machines.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Criticism is good, and the glossy glare displays, that you can't calibrate, deserve it. I will never buy such a machine.

Your options are a cinema display with either a mini or a MacPro (it doesn't have to be a new one).

I have calibrated the hell out of my glossy 20", what do you mean?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

I have calibrated the hell out of my glossy 20", what do you mean?
With no hell, you're probably in heaven now.

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2008, 05:37 AM

You can calibrate glossy displays just fine.

I'm also surprised you don't mention the possibility of getting a second display for the iMac, Veltiner, there is no need to buy a Mac mini or a Mac Pro for that.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You can calibrate glossy displays just fine.

I'm also surprised you don't mention the possibility of getting a second display for the iMac, Veltiner, there is no need to buy a Mac mini or a Mac Pro for that.
I'm surprised, too.

You could keep your tools on the iMac screen, and do color critical work on the cinema display.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 09:04 PM

If you are set on having dead-accuracy for colors you are most likely a professional designer and wouldn't buy the iMac anyways.

Compared to 90% of all the LCDs I've ever used my glossy 20" looks spectacular, not good enough for professionals maybe, but the iMac isn't a professional machine.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2008, 10:42 PM

So much for NOT being a rehash of the same old tired bullshit... good work Velt

OreoCookie
Jul 23, 2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You could keep your tools on the iMac screen, and do color critical work on the cinema display.
That's what I do with my ProBook (matte screen, calibrated). In Aperture, I have the previews of all photos on my small screen and the photo I want to edit on my large Samsung lcd

The ProBook's gamut is puny compared to that of the external lcd (which has a PVA panel), I can barely see the dividers in iTunes, for example.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2008, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
That's what I do with my ProBook (matte screen, calibrated). In Aperture, I have the previews of all photos on my small screen and the photo I want to edit on my large Samsung lcd

The ProBook's gamut is puny compared to that of the external lcd (which has a PVA panel), I can barely see the dividers in iTunes, for example.
A really good thing to do.

Even the best Laptops aren't really up to displaying photography well, and editing on the laptop screen is a bit like flying in the fog. The external monitor is a good way to have both: a moveable edit station for in-the-field work (if you need it), and good colors at home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules