Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New 6 Megapixel Camera's

New 6 Megapixel Camera's
Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2004, 07:48 AM

I'm looking for a new camera. Specifically, i'm looking to get a 6MP camera, but a small one. Not the big/bulky SRL's (ie., the digital rebel...)

I'm talking about the 6 megapixel camera you can fit in your pocket.
Has anyone heard when they will be released?
Does anyone currently make one?

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2004, 09:14 AM

Why do you need 6 MPs, aren't 4 or 5 enough?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

winCEman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 10:38 AM

Hey Green Leaf, I know what you mean when you want a good pocket digital camera, I always carry my Casio EX-S3 a 3 megapixel digital camera. I LOVE it, the highest rez pocket camera I believe is from Sony. It's 5+ megapixel and it is pocket sized. My only fears with something so small that is that high rez is this....
Its $ony so, it only uses the new small memory sticks.
The size of the lense, its small so are the photos better or just larger than the Casio.

The good.......
HUGE screen on the back!
Sliding face plate covers lense!

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 12:37 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 4MP is plenty for average home use. If you're looking for a nice pocket camera, look at the Canon S410 or maybe that Pentax Optio small model. I have a Canon S400 and love it. Great pics, great form factor. People who like the small cameras seem to like the Optio's. There's also a very small Casio, but I know nothing about it.

Anyway, 6MP is total overkill for a home still camera - even 5MP is too much. Instead of paying the premium for more pixels, spend it on compact size or features like optical zoom or just on a better overall camera.

I did a quick Google seach and found this table showing "MP vs print size". I also found an interesting article on the "megapixel myth" that you might want to read.

And finally, check out dpreview.com for good reviews and comparisons.

Green Leaf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2004, 06:01 PM

good point.
however, i'm still wondering if anyone knows when some 6mp cameras are coming out.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 09:21 PM

watch out for some of the pocket or "credit card" sized cameras. Some makers use image enhancement to bump-up the resolution. For example, VuPoint makes a "6 MegaPixel" credit card sized/pocket camera; however, they use some type of image enhancement software to bump up to 6MP. I have been unable to figure out exactly what its actual resolution is without the image enhancement but I've read it is really only 3.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules