Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Unibody MBP GFX glitching

New Unibody MBP GFX glitching
bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2008, 07:29 PM

Does anyone else have strange Horizontal GFX glitching when using the 9400 on their MBP?

Here Is a Video I made a moment ago... IT's funny, if I run a Video/DVD the glitching isn't there,but go back to the desktop it comes back... If I put it into the 9600 Mode it goes away... then it comes back if I switch the 9400 on again... What is the deal with that?

This is actually it not being too bad... it can get so bad the screen isn't readable!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIN8C20afmk

I will post a better video if I can later...
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2008, 08:49 AM

Sounds like a defective GPU.

I tried watching the video but I'm sure of what to see. I did see some horizontal glitches which I assume that's what you meant. At first it almost looked like glitches from your video camera, but I didn't see anything else occur so I'm figuring that was it.

I'd give apple a call and/or bring it to your local apple store. I've not had any problems running off the 9400 on my MBP.
~Mike

bloodline  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Sounds like a defective GPU.

I tried watching the video but I'm sure of what to see. I did see some horizontal glitches which I assume that's what you meant. At first it almost looked like glitches from your video camera, but I didn't see anything else occur so I'm figuring that was it.
That's exactly right, You don't really notice it at first, but it gets worse over time... One point it got so bad the screen was unreadable... I'm hopping it does it again when my camera is around so I can film it!

It's very weird as it only happens on the desktop... Quicktime (full screen), DVDplayer (full screen), footballmanager (fullscreen) and Ableton live (fullscreen) don't suffer from this problem... also switching to the 9600 is ok too... which leads me to think it's a driver problem rather than hardware...

I'd give apple a call and/or bring it to your local apple store. I've not had any problems running off the 9400 on my MBP.
Yeah, I think I will... I was hoping for a sotware update to fix it :-(
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules