Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Please help - sound works on one account but not the other...

Please help - sound works on one account but not the other...
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 08:24 AM

I have just bought a new G5 and upgraded Tiger to 10.4.2

I used the migration assistant to migrate my girlfriends account across plus all the apps. I'm going to do mine manually, as there are a few things I want to re-do.

So at the moment. my account is just as it was when it was delivered.

Sound works perfectly on my side. I can hear music through iTunes and all the system sounds.

However, when I switch to her side there seems to be no sound. iTunes appears to be playing but nothing comes out, nor do any of the system sounds work. Funny thing is that when I turn the volume up and down through the keyboard, I can hear the little "pop sound" that it normally makes as the volume goes up and down.

Any clues? This is very weird.....

Thanks,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 08:45 AM

Double-check her sound prefs and make sure it's not set to optical digital out? That's all I can think of right now.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
Double-check her sound prefs and make sure it's not set to optical digital out? That's all I can think of right now.
Thanks Chris. Triple checked the sound prefs and they are set to Soundsticks. The only sound that comes out of them is when you turn the volume up and down...

Could I have fried something in the Library folder when the migration assistant ran?

Has anyone used the migration assistant with multiple accounts before and not had this problem??

ta,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2005, 03:19 PM

Yes, I've never heard of any such problem with Migration Assistant; the Panther version worked fine for me. Why don't you download Cocktail and see if its various procedures can fix the issue? I imagine it's some crusty cache file causing the problem. At least it's localized to that account, and if worse comes to worse you can move the files over to a fresh account - painful, but not the end of the world.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules