Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Looking for *reliable* wired router

Looking for *reliable* wired router
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 05:29 PM

My linksys wireless b router is flaking out, I want to replace it with a wired only router (I dun need the wireless anymore), what are the best brands to look for? I need to be able to do port forwarding, but I presume that's a standard thing on any router out there these days. UPnP would be nice too.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 06:23 PM

Well, you can have cheap, or you can have reliable. The consumer gear out there is, mostly, pretty junky.

If you go consumer-level, all the brands are pretty similar in quality, though I've had the best luck so far with Linksys.

If you want to get a real router, get a Netopia. But you are looking at an extra digit in the price tag compared to consumer gear.

tooki

OreoCookie
Oct 26, 2005, 06:43 PM

Or look for used Cisco routers on ebay.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 07:18 PM

I'm definitely looking for consumer level stuff, it's just for my tiny home network. But I didn't figure getting, for example, a $20 Netgear router would be a great idea. Maybe I'll have a look at a new Linksys one...
esdesign

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2005, 09:14 PM

Sorry to have to remind everyone, but this belongs in Networking.

BTW, I like Linksys (but not with the religious fervor, both pro and con, that I've seen some people have about them).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 03:08 AM

I had really bad luck with Linksys with 2 different models. They both crashed every 1-2 weeks.

Apples Base station so far has been incredibly reliable.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2005, 08:19 AM

Some people have bad luck with other brands too. I've never had a real problem with Linksys equipment. However, I recommend that, whatever brand you go with, you do two things: keep the boxes clean and as dust-free as possible, and plug them into an UPS (NOT just a surge suppressor). Those two things have no doubt enhanced my positive experiences. Dust is a thermal insulator and some boxes just don't like heat. Bad power, or even squirley power, can be horrible for any electronics, and an UPS is the very best way to power electronics-plus networking equipment doesn't pull very much current at all, so a small UPS can handle a lot of routers/modems/etc.

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 03:26 PM

Oh, that's some really good advice. I've had a laptop so haven't bothered with any UPS up 'till now, but it's a good idea. All my stuff gets really dusty if I don't pay attention. I don't know what's wrong with my current Linksys, it only started recently, but it's been around for a while so it might not be a bad idea to replace it regardless.

I'd go with an Airport no question if they weren't so expensive.

And pardon for posting in the wrong forum, I was just thinking Hardware -> Peripherals but go ahead and move it to Networking if that'd be better.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Oct 27, 2005 at 03:32 PM. )
esdesign

DarwinX
Oct 27, 2005, 03:37 PM

I realize there are a lot who dislike D-link and I'll probably get flamed, but I've never had a single problem.

They are easy to setup and usually quite configurable in what you can do.

Just my 2 cents.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2005, 01:59 PM

"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

mp3magic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2005, 06:05 PM

I like my Linksys BEFSR41, version 2.

mp3magic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2005, 06:06 PM

I like my Linksys BEFSR41, version 2. It has worked great for years.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2005, 08:13 AM

I had a BEFSR41 version 1 (the original version) that lasted from about 1998 until I knocked it off the shelf a while back. I had a few stumbles with it because I foolishly believed that the "stackable case" thing should let me stack working boxes...NO, it doesn't. It just lets you put more heat in one place. But those feet do lend themselves to homemade standoffs, like 35mm film canisters (anyone remember those?).

Once I got the idea that it needed plenty of room to stay cool, the box never gave me a problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules