Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Open With" menu lists everything twice

"Open With" menu lists everything twice
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 06:34 PM

What's up with this? I didn't notice it until the other day. Can't recall seeing this behavior in OS X before, and I don't think it I saw it immediately after upgrading to 10.4.3, but it's possible...
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2005, 07:03 PM

quark user? (just curious)

sounds like voiceover is on...turn it off (in universal access system preference).

i've seen quark users turn this on with a key command.

anyway,
check that first.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2005, 07:19 PM

I get this too. My voiceover is off.

I figured it was because I have an external HD and mirrored my internal drive. It does it even when the drive is disconnected but I reckon that's because it keeps a database.

What annoys me is when the drive is connected, it lists some entries 3 times.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 17, 2005, 07:22 PM

No, VoiceOver does not duplicate ANY commands (it just shows all the versions of commands that are normally hidden behind a modifier key).

In this case, the LaunchServices database has become corrupted. http://www.northernsoftworks.com/tigercachecleaner.html is probably the easiest way to do this.

tooki

toneloco28
Nov 17, 2005, 08:00 PM

Divx user? There's a known issue in Divx 5 (for Tiger users) that manifest itself in the issue your describing.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2005, 08:06 PM

I too noticed that duplicate issue after using SuperDuper. So I asked Dave Nanian, the developer, if he had insight. His reply:

"The reason you see multiple items, after using SuperDuper!, is because you're creating new copies of the applications (on the backup). Since the paths to these applications are different, LaunchServices puts them in again."

I presume this is also the case with CCC.

Rebuilding the Launch Services Database with Cocktail (or similar utilities) is a solution.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 10:42 PM

Oh yes that's it. I've been using SuperDuper to create bootable backups of my drive. But if I rebuild the LS database, won't the issue come up again when I turn my external drive back on to update my backup?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules