Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Help finding a type of paper

Help finding a type of paper
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 08:05 PM

You know the kind of slightly glossy finish that you see on labels like cereal boxes, Jell-O, Baking Soda, basically anything that's packaged with that kind of compressed cardboard stuff? Also used on almost all canned goods (Ovaltine, beans, chili, everything in my cupboard really). In fact almost *ALL* food products now that I think about it!

I want to find a paper with a finish like that for my inkjet. Needs to be photo quality, or you know, the same quality as what's used on those food products. I have no idea what to look for (i.e. "glossy photo", "photo quality matte", etc.).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 10:51 PM

The paper you are referencing is C1S 100 lbs+ paperboard.

If you are looking to do mock-ups... go to your local department store and ask for boxes, but be prepared to destroy your inkjet. I would say, print it out on semi-gloss paper (the regular stuff from most paper stores) and then use 3M Super 77 spray mount.

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 11:17 PM

Er, yeah. I didn't mean to imply I wanted the heavy stuff (although my inkjet can handle at least 120lb cover stock), I just want that semi-gloss stuff for mockups. Like the labels of typical canned goods and other round containers (bottled water, coffee, etc.) That's the kind of stuff I want. About as think as typical paper.

So you're saying a regular "semi-gloss" paper from a computer/office supply store would be what I want?
esdesign

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:36 AM

If you want it to be shiny (where you can see fingerprints), you want glossy, if you want it more dull, go with a semi-gloss.

it may be what you want... you need to remember that printed paper can have a varnish (there are a number of varnishes)... and you can't simulate that on a printer.

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:50 AM

True. Although I've seen inkjet paper that had the surface I wanted... but the person who had it (a classmate) couldn't recall what type of paper it was.
esdesign

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 11:19 AM

I'm guessing it was a sami-gloss sheet. It has a "velvet" feel to the outside... not the ultra smooth.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 12:20 AM

What he said. Why are you asking for one thing and complaining about the answer- just get semi-matte photopaper.

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 01:18 AM

What? Where was I complaining? Thanks for the help though, I didn't think it was so simple, I thought that it would be some other type of paper that I wasn't familiar with. I'll go look for some good semi-gloss.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Apr 9, 2006 at 01:32 AM. )
esdesign

th3ph17
Apr 10, 2006, 12:01 PM

some hot pressed uncoated papers are pretty smooth as well, and thinner and more flexible than a coated photopaper. If you are wrapping/glueing something around a can or something keep that in mind.

a lot of packaging is really plastic-like substrates that are put over other plastics, foils, paper, etc, so that is hard to duplicate.

Dru383
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 10:29 PM

just curious
are you planning on getting the glossy finish with inkjet printer?
i think giving laser a try would be a good idea

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 11:12 PM

Are you suggesting glossy laser printer paper for my inkjet, or that I try printing with a laser printer? That's not really an option.
esdesign

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 11:46 PM

The ink 'sits' on top of coated paper anyway, so as long as his printer isn't 10 years old, it wouldn't really make much of a difference IMO.

sara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

i think you should first see if the printer you are using is compatible with your paper choice. sometimes even the best quality paper will not give you the best quality result if the printer and ink do not match. think about it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules