Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Careful: There are faulty Mac mini's out there (wireless)

Careful: There are faulty Mac mini's out there (wireless)
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 09:25 AM

Just took delivery of a new Mac mini Duo on Friday.

Plugged it in where my old G4 PowerMac was. What previously was excellent reception suddenly dropped off to nothing or sometimes just one bar.

Did a bit of searching around on the Net and found out this problem is not just an isolated case.

The following thread on the Apple Support Forums has more info on this. (At least until Apple takes it down......)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....87407&tstart=0

I contacted Apple and they acknowleged the problem. Declared the mini DOA and am now in the process of getting a new one...

Posted this up as a word of warning to others. If you have just bought an Intel Mini and are getting either lousy wireless or bluetooth reception then this might be your problem. Quickly report it to Apple rather than trying to nut it out. There are faulty machines out there and Apple should really pro-actively replace them. This really annoys me as a lot of mini buyers are first time Mac users and I don't want them to think that this is standard for Mac's.

Come on Apple. You know which batches are affected. Contact the owners and tell them they might have a problem that needs fixing rather than waiting until they get out of 90 day support and the users have to pay to fix something you knew was there from the start!
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 08:31 PM

I've just read about this myself and still have my Mini in an unopened box next to my iMac. Not sure if I'm going to open it or try to return it to Macmall, since I cancelled the order and they told me it was taken care of to begin with. I'm waiting for the 47" Westinghouse display to come out to put with the mini and then I can sell my G5 iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules