Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can I make windows safe on my Mac?

Can I make windows safe on my Mac?
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 11:33 AM

The whole reason that I use Macs is to avoid all the crap that comes from the world of Windows. However, now I've found an app that I really need to use and it only works on Windows. Enter VMWare (or Parallels).

Now the only reason to use Windows is because of this app. If I want to do anything like email or web surfing I want to use the Mac. Therefore, there should be no reason for Windows to contact the Internet.

Could I make my Windows partition safe by deactivating the Internet on the Windows side? If so, how would I do this? (I don't know much about Windows).

Is there something else I should do without having to buy, install and maintain a heap of programs.

Basic issue is to run a Windows app that never talks to the Internet in a Windows VM on the Mac and never have to worry about Windows.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 11:50 AM

Good question. I wonder if CrossOver would work for the app you have to run.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks Big Mac. Actually, while I only have one app, I actually know a couple of other people that have one or two apps and the same solution that works for me would be ideal for them. Everyone wants to use the Mac for most stuff and are a bit scared of Windows. If we could keep it in a cage (where it belongs) isolated from the outside world, we may just be able to tame this beast....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 12:43 PM

You definitely want to use a VM like Parallels or Fusion rather than directly booting into Windows. I'm pretty sure you can lock them down easily.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 12:51 PM

What's the app?

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2008, 05:21 PM

It's an obscure Australian program called WineBase.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 05:36 PM

Wow...

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2008, 05:57 PM

You can disable the Parallels virtual network adapter in OS X. There are two in my iMac's installation, one called "Parallels Guest" and the other called "Parallels NAT." The simplest thing to do to disable them is to set them for manual addresses and then assign them valid addresses that don't work with your network. Say your network uses addresses in the 192.168.1.X range-set the Parallels adapters' addresses to "10.0.0.1" and "10.0.0.2". These are also private addresses, but not on the same subnet as your LAN, so they'll never talk outside. I don't have Fusion so I can't say definitively how to do it, but I imagine that it has a similar feature that could be similarly disabled.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules