Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > So with the new Entourage will you switch from Mail.app?

So with the new Entourage will you switch from Mail.app?
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2004, 03:16 PM

Now that MS have released Entourage 2004 with all the new features will you consider switching from Mail.app?

There are some great new features in it but I'm just not sure about switching from the Mail.app that I've got used to.

Interested to hear others opinions....

Cheers,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 03:23 PM

Actually, I'll sit back and hope Apple feels the heat... and therefore has to enhance mail !

(Isn't "keeping Apple honest" the main reason we love MS?)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 6, 2004, 04:51 PM

I don't think I will be switching. Mail does everything that I need it to, and properly works with the other Apple apps like Address Book and iCal, which I don't believe Entourage does.

However, I will be getting Office 2004 delivered any day now, so maybe I will try it .

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 04:51 PM

I did, but I am getting annoyed by little things, such as the icon bounces up and down all the tiem for some reason (not new mail, and notifications are off in prefs)

And the news part sucks, too.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Jordan:
So with the new Entourage will you switch from Mail.app?
Definately NO.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2004, 07:53 PM

I most likely won't, but I'll consider it after playing around with it a bit.

I also wonder what June 28th has in store for us.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
Definitely NO.
Fixed, and seconded.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 12:00 PM

No. But I'll be switching from Outlook 2001. Mail.app is a real e-mail client doe use with real e-mail servers, Entourage is for when you're stuck at work in an Exchange environment. There are some weird things going on with Entourage 2004, though. With the way that Outlook 2001 stores its contacts they get pulled down from the server in Entourage 2004 as just names with names for e-mail addresses. It's really a shame, as Outlook 2001 is the only reason most of our Mac faculty is running Classic still.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2004, 05:57 AM

I switched for a while when I moved overseas, since my email problems were going to require the categories, the project manager, etc. But you know? after a while, I got pissed off at the little problems and went back to Mail, iCal, iSync, etc. There's as yet no good way to migrate iCal data to Entourage -- I don't think -- and I just don't like the interface. It's still too Microsoft-y for my tastes. The Project Center is a pretty cool idea -- even if it just a souped version of custom views across the whole database.

What most bugged me? The separate inboxes for each email account. I've really gotten used to the unified inbox that Mail.app uses, and I didn't like having to remember what account something came in on to find it in my email. I just wanted to find it!
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 10:25 AM

Apple should maybe integrate all the various Mail, iCal, Address Book, etc. apps into an Entourage-like container, at least in the form of a "starting point", to make things easier to manage; the same is happening, for example, under Linux, with programs such as Kontact, which aggregate previous individual components (KMail, etc., in this case) under a common, integrated interface. Of course, one should still be able to use the previous standalone apps individually, if one prefers so...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
Apple should maybe integrate all the various Mail, iCal, Address Book, etc. apps into an Entourage-like container, at least in the form of a "starting point", to make things easier to manage; the same is happening, for example, under Linux, with programs such as Kontact, which aggregate previous individual components (KMail, etc., in this case) under a common, integrated interface. Of course, one should still be able to use the previous standalone apps individually, if one prefers so...
http://crm4mac.com/
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I also wonder what June 28th has in store for us.
Me too!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 01:09 PM

No way, the icons at the top are so messy and there is waaay to much useless/un-needed information on the screen at once.

I like it nice and simple like mail.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
No way, the icons at the top are so messy and there is waaay to much useless/un-needed information on the screen at once.

I like it nice and simple like mail.
Amen! Two minutes with Entourage 2004 was enough for me. The interface is atrocious.

m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Sven G:
Agreed - I want to use individual apps. but tighter integration would be great.

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 02:07 PM

no switching here either. I welcome improvements by Apple, but if I have to choose between Apple annoyances and Microsoft annoyances, I'll go with Apple.
cpac

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Fixed, and seconded.
Thirded.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 02:14 PM

I think Entourage 2004 is a great application, and I switched as soon as the Office box arrived..

It seems to be geared towards "pro" users who gets a lot of mails unlike Mail. The junk filter is surprisingly good in 2004, probably better than the one in Mail IMHO. The ability to view the preview pane on the right is also a great feature for us widescreen users. To know that your attachments will be 100% windows compatible out of the box is also a good thing..

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 04:31 PM

A few thing that might push me over and back from Mail.app into Entourage 04:
  • Ability to automatically save attachments to disk, delete from mail database, and link the message (with an alias) to the file on disk
  • AppleScript to delete html mail content and just leave text content
  • Simple one-click delete on the server for any mail (e.g. mails with large attachments) -- no need for POPMonitor
  • Attaching tasks to mails is really useful (like: "to answer later today")
  • Entourage has those nifty "You replied to this mail" info boxes -- Mail.app also has (some of) this, but can't find a reply if its not in the "sent" folder
OTOH I really like Mail.app's simplicity and clean looks�
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules