Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Publish says: "Skipping CSS2 in IE7 Is Wrong"

Publish says: "Skipping CSS2 in IE7 Is Wrong"
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 03:44 PM

"Microsoft is about to release IE 7.0, and if you've been hoping that this new release would solve your development problems, prepare to be disappointed. Besides the obvious issues with an X.0 release of anything, word has it that the new browser won't fully support CSS2 standards. So what else is new?"

http://www.publish.com/article2/0,1895,1843029,00.asp

I think this sucks, but maybe it wont turn out as bad as the article makes it sound.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 05:44 PM

Who knows. Right now, even Paul Thurrott is pleading for everyone to boycott IE7 when it comes out.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 02:36 AM

what i don't agree with in that article is that the writer says that people will develop for ie first.

i don't agree. i develop what i want the page to do and then figure out how to make ie do it. if a feature is just *too* much work, or causes *too* many issues, i will drop the feature. fixed positioning comes to mind, but other than that _most_ stuff can be hacked for ie.

it is just really really *really* unfortunate that microsoft sucks too much to fix the development issues in ie for their next major release. i have absolutely no idea what goes into creating a web browser, and i don't want to know, but microsoft should have to step up to the plate and defend it's web browser dominance in an adult fashion.
shock the world, bring out something amazing.

as xi_hyperon said, "who knows"

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2005, 07:21 AM

Stop hacking your pages for IE whenever possible and either MS will fix it or people will stop using it.

osxisfun
Aug 6, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by registered_user
Stop hacking your pages for IE whenever possible and either MS will fix it or people will stop using it.

yah, that works in the real world...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2005, 01:00 PM

i agree. that just doesn't work.

like the article says, the end user doesn't care about standards and whatnot. and neither does a client, whose website you are designing. all the client wants is a website that looks nice and works.

telling the client that you made his website awesome with a fixed header that everything scrolls underneath and is transparent, so you can see the text scrolling underneath, but it won't work for about 90 percent of internet users. it will look atrocious for them, but that's ok, since their web browsers are not compliant with the standards that have been set by the world wide-web consortium, and thus people should not use the browser and find a more compliant one, like firefox.

something tells me that your client will just sit there with a blank stare on his or her face and then open ie, load their site, and say "why does it look so bad?"

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2005, 09:23 PM

:roll: back

If one doesn't need the standards support then one ought not bitch about browsers not supporting them.

In the real world that some have made reference to that's called job security.

osxisfun
Aug 7, 2005, 12:04 PM

huh?

Your client asks why something does not work in their browser (ie) and fixing it is job security?

Always thought that was called pleasing the client.

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 12:32 PM

No, you've missed my point. The job security is knowing how to hack your pages to work in IE.

osxisfun
Aug 7, 2005, 12:42 PM

oh. ok. sorry. i thought you are talking about something else.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 02:24 PM

...and the majority of web users will think you can't code properly, because the page looks broken. Get real.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2005, 05:58 PM

That's how the Web should work, but Microsoft is a monopoly, and so things don't work that way. What will instead happen is that Microsoft will position XAML as the "next-generation Web application system" while keeping it strictly proprietary so that no one else can implement it, developers will start using it in this way, and people will not switch away from IE. This is just how Microsoft works, because people are too immature to install or use multiple applications instead of bloatware.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

registered_user
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 10:17 PM

What's worse is that if you consider this thread an informal poll of web developers, Microsoft's proprietary policies are working splendidly.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2005, 07:56 AM

What's worse is that if you consider this thread an informal poll of web developers, Microsoft's proprietary policies are working splendidly.
I suppose so. This is why it's such an abomination that they were able to buy their way out of justice during the antitrust trial in the late 1990s. This kind of thing should not work, but monopolies break the system.

Frankly, I find using the soon-to-be-renamed 'IE7' JavaScript routines to be the most productive way to get around things. They eliminate many of the worst issues IE has, while not interfering with other browsers. We've got a sticky thread about it here.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules