Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Desks

Desks
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 06:38 PM

The kind you put your computer on.

I'm sick of my crappy Wal-mart assemble-it-yourself desk, I want something a.) bigger b.) stronger c.) un-complicated!!!!

The stores I've been to, online and off, all have crap POS over-complicated ugly "computer desks." I just want a FLAT SURFACE, maybe some shelves, a drawer or two. And I don't want to pay $200+ for it. Is is possible? Where can I look? Has to be able to fit into a car though (or be delivered).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 06:55 PM

Eh, if you don't want to spend more than $200 your options are kind of limited.

My suggestion is to go for a nice, sleek, simple, glass desk. Can't go wrong with glass. It'll set you back a good bit more than $200 for one that is decently sized, but you'll hug yourself everytime you look at it.

Might wanna keep some Windex on standby, though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 07:36 PM

With glass, you'll need a mousepad. Go check out a thrift store or craigslist. Buy an old table that's decent, sand down the top and stain/paint it and buy some new hardware at Home depot. Should be able to do that for under $200.

If you want new wood table for $200 - I'd say you're SOL (IKEA maybe?)

All the cheap sh*t you find at the stores for sub-200 will be MDF (pressed paper).
( Last edited by rozwado1; Oct 12, 2005 at 07:43 PM. )

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 01:40 AM

I was at Oak Express yesterday, and they had a very nice solid wood table style desk on sale for $150.00. If you have one of their stores in your area, go take a look. Sorry, I don't recall what the model was called.
Nemo me impune lacesset

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 01:41 AM

Definitely try IKEA. You can get the desktop and the legs separately. They have various sizes and shapes. I have one side of mine mounted to the wall .. so I use just two legs instead of 4.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
The kind you put your computer on.

I'm sick of my crappy Wal-mart assemble-it-yourself desk, I want something a.) bigger b.) stronger c.) un-complicated!!!!

The stores I've been to, online and off, all have crap POS over-complicated ugly "computer desks." I just want a FLAT SURFACE, maybe some shelves, a drawer or two. And I don't want to pay $200+ for it. Is is possible? Where can I look? Has to be able to fit into a car though (or be delivered).
Go to ikea. You can get the "JERKER" style desk for about $50 if the box is opened. It's a flat piece of wood with two metal "C-shaped' legs that hold it up.

LINK:

http://adam.pra.to/jerker/

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 02:13 AM

Oooh, that's a LOT like what I want... price seems reasonable too... and there's an optional drawer unit... very nice! Do you mean the Ikea store itself might have opened-box ones, or if I can find one elsewhere? The nearest Ikea store is pretty far, hmm...
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 03:37 AM

Just build your own desk like my friend did, man. It ain'ts that hard dude. Seriously. Like build it from wood, and nails and hammer and stuffs. Good luck guy.

Your friend'
Cubeoid

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 03:42 AM

I have some MDF thing from OfficeDepot and wtf, I lost the hardware when I moved to my new apt. and now I have no desk. I'm using just the flat desk "top" atop my Studio Display cardboard box.

MDF desks suck.

(office depot wouldn't give me the hardware, told me to contact the manufacturer blah blah)

I want a 7' long 3' deep slab of wood with sturdy legs. That's all.
ice

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 03:52 AM

I bought this desk at staples. Its like $80 and reasonably nice. I wouldn't jump up and down on it, but it looks decent. Maybe not what you're looking for, but thought I'd post anyway.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=130371

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 03:52 AM

Glass is good for snorting cocaine.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 08:29 AM

I would try IKEA.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
Oooh, that's a LOT like what I want... price seems reasonable too... and there's an optional drawer unit... very nice! Do you mean the Ikea store itself might have opened-box ones, or if I can find one elsewhere? The nearest Ikea store is pretty far, hmm...
Ikea store. The open box was missing a piece so I just went back to a closed box, tore open the side, and grabbed the extra piece.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 09:53 AM

If you are at all handy, you could get a piece of nice, thick, hardwood plywood, finish it, put some kind of moulding or veneer around the edges and get some legs at ikea (or somewhere online). It will end up looking much nicer than MDF and should cost less than $200 by a good bit.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 09:56 AM

I eventually want to buy a desk that's more the size of a dinner table. Lots of wide open horizontal space for working on projects, and no drawers underneath to bang my knees on. I'm leaning towards a frosted glass and steel design, but it's going to be awhile before I can afford to get the one I want.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
If you are at all handy, you could get a piece of nice, thick, hardwood plywood, finish it, put some kind of moulding or veneer around the edges and get some legs at ikea (or somewhere online). It will end up looking much nicer than MDF and should cost less than $200 by a good bit.
Depending on the type of plywood that could look nice.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon
I eventually want to buy a desk that's more the size of a dinner table. Lots of wide open horizontal space for working on projects, and no drawers underneath to bang my knees on. I'm leaning towards a frosted glass and steel design, but it's going to be awhile before I can afford to get the one I want.
That's what the JERKER desk is. It cost me $52.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 10:16 AM

hehhehehheheheheh... Jerker.. that's a good one.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bad_quote
That's what the JERKER desk is. It cost me $52.
It looks like it only comes with a particle board type top. I didn't see one in glass - is that an option?

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 10:57 AM

It's particle board, but there's two pieces of metal spanning underneath it for support. You don't want glass anyway, it's impossible to keep clean and it feels 'cold' whenever your arms or hands are on it. Plus your arms or whatever don't slide on it as easily. Glass stinks.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 11:02 AM

It's particle board, but there's two pieces of metal spanning underneath it for support. You don't want glass anyway, it's impossible to keep clean and it feels 'cold' whenever your arms or hands are on it. Plus your arms or whatever don't slide on it as easily. Glass stinks.
It's also simple to damage.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 11:04 AM

Order or buy off-the-shelf a piece of butcher block in the size you want. Head over to the plumbing section at your favorit hardware store and buy: 4 threaded pipes in the length you want and 8 threaded collars (4 as feet, 4 as mounts to fasten to the bottom of the butcher block). you will have a table that will be more sturdy than anything you could buy from a store and will last decades. best of it, the legs unthread for moving/storeage.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 11:05 AM

Which? Glass or particle board? My 'jerker' desk has held up VERY well for 3 years now. It has a very thick woodgrained formica veneer over it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2005, 11:29 AM

Ikea store. The open box was missing a piece so I just went back to a closed box, tore open the side, and grabbed the extra piece.
Wow, great idea.

I suppose calling the customer service line and ask them to ship the spare parts to you was too much of a hazzle...

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 12:57 PM

Get two cabinets, a solid oak door.

Bam! a desk. I'm typing on that rig right now.

(Stay the hell away from chipboard)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 12:58 PM

Depending on the type of plywood that could look nice.
3/4" Birch Plywood with a nice stain (even just a sand and seal coat) looks beautiful. Though it will run you about 60$ for one sheet.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2005, 02:57 PM

If you really need to go cheap, a closet door on a pair of sawhorses works surprisingly well. Take the money you save and spend it on your chair; it will do you a lot more good in the long run.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
If you really need to go cheap, a closet door on a pair of sawhorses works surprisingly well. Take the money you save and spend it on your chair; it will do you a lot more good in the long run.
Doors with anything to hold them up make great desks with tons of leg room. Closet doors usually are hollow-core and are slightly more flimsy.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 04:31 PM

That's why I like the "jerker" desk. It's essentially a big door on some metal frames for extra leg room. Pretty versatile. Bad news is the new ones have this 'cut out' on the front lip for ergonomic reasons. stupid stupid stupid. Glad I have the old 'straight' kind.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2005, 05:24 PM

You know those cafeteria tables in elementary school that are still there when you visit your old school when you're 30 with yer buds?

I bought one of those at Staples for like $20. They last forever.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
You know those cafeteria tables in elementary school that are still there when you visit your old school when you're 30 with yer buds?

I bought one of those at Staples for like $20. They last forever.
That is sweet

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 09:13 PM

this is one I got from Target for $100, plus its part of a set, so there's also matching shelves and other crap.
LINK
The middle drawer is actually for a keyboard.

kikkoman
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 11:09 PM

That's why I like the "jerker" desk. It's essentially a big door on some metal frames for extra leg room. Pretty versatile. Bad news is the new ones have this 'cut out' on the front lip for ergonomic reasons. stupid stupid stupid. Glad I have the old 'straight' kind.
From the link you posted it the "jerker" looks like a typical computer desk to me. Here are a couple from the Powermac picture thread that are more table like.

http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/g5_desktop.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~macnn/desk.jpg

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 14, 2005, 12:09 AM

That's what the jerker looks like. It just has a bunch of 'optional' crap stuck on it in some pictures. Here's mine:

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 07:52 AM

I have to say that my ideal desk would be a massive slab with a stack of drawers underneath... off to the right or something.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules