Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there a dummies guide or something for OS X Server?

Is there a dummies guide or something for OS X Server?
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 09:49 PM

G'day,

You can see the config of HW I have in my signature below. As there are only two of us using Mac's I really don't need the G4 anymore. Problem is that I'll get nothing for it on eBay so I'm better off putting it to good use at home.

One of the things that really annoys the girlfriend is that she can't see all her music, email, etc. when she's on the powerbook and basically is just using it to browse the internet.

I'd really like to set up an environment that is similar to a proper office at home. Email everywhere, music everywhere. As an added bonus when we travel I'd like to be able to securely get in with the PowerBook.

So it sounds to me like the easiest way to do all this is to buy and install OS X Server. Money isn't really a concern and I'd rather spend AUD$699 on OS X Server if it makes everything easy than muck around with a whole lot of different utilities, scripts and terminal commands.

SO my questions are:

a) Is OS X server the easiest way to do all this? (not the cheapest)
b) I've been using Mac's for about 20 years but have no experience with the server products. Is setting this up generally within the skill range of an intermediate to advanced Mac user?
c) Where can I get some sort of guidance on doing all of this or is there a relatively simple manual with OS X Server itself?
d) Am I really going to satisfy her needs (no jokes pls ) and save myself some time or will this turn into an administration nightmare?
e) Would you do this if you were in the same boat?

If I get all this set up I'll buy her an iMac G5 for her studio and hook it all in.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan
c) Where can I get some sort of guidance on doing all of this or is there a relatively simple manual with OS X Server itself?
Apple has some documentation at their site , another site I have used is afp548.com and a good book is Visual quickstart guide Mac OS X Server by Regan / White (I don't know if there is a Tiger version yet).

Good luck!
Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules