Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where Smart Playlists fall apart.

Where Smart Playlists fall apart.
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 08:59 PM

Lets say I want to create an iTunes Smart Playlist that contains music from two different genres, but I don't want this playlist to contain tracks from a specific artist. This is only three conditions and seems simple enough... but it's impossible?

I can either have it meet ANY or ALL of the rules. I can't have it meet "Any" because then it will include *all* artists except for the one that I excluded. I can't have it meet "All" because then I can only include one genre without having contradicting rules.

There are surely solutions. Perhaps there could be an "Or" option, like "(Genre) (Is) _____, (Or) (Genere) (Is) _____". There are probably plenty of other ways to go about it. But, maybe I'm once again in the minority for whom a feature like this would be useful.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2006, 10:14 PM

Playlist A: Music is of genre "this" or of genre "that".
Playlist B: Music is from playlist "A" and artist is not "David Hasselhoff".

dru
Senior User
Sep 9, 2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
Lets say I want to create an iTunes Smart Playlist that contains music from two different genres, but I don't want this playlist to contain tracks from a specific artist. This is only three conditions and seems simple enough... but it's impossible?

I can either have it meet ANY or ALL of the rules. I can't have it meet "Any" because then it will include *all* artists except for the one that I excluded. I can't have it meet "All" because then I can only include one genre without having contradicting rules.

There are surely solutions. Perhaps there could be an "Or" option, like "(Genre) (Is) _____, (Or) (Genere) (Is) _____". There are probably plenty of other ways to go about it. But, maybe I'm once again in the minority for whom a feature like this would be useful.
They probably are doing it because "Or" logic can be tricky to present understandably to the typical user especially through a UI. They don't have it in Find/Spotlight either. That said, I sure wish it were available.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Playlist A: Music is of genre "this" or of genre "that".
Playlist B: Music is from playlist "A" and artist is not "David Hasselhoff".
That's a good idea. Too bad it requires an extra playlist, but it's still better than a manual playlist in this situation.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules