Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Putting Corporate Presentations on the iPad/iPhone

Putting Corporate Presentations on the iPad/iPhone
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2010, 12:00 PM

Here's one for the thinkers out there....

Given we don't know what sort of file system, if any, that the iPad will have I'm thinking about some creative options.

We want to create a pack of presentations (probably PDF) to be distributed to a number of attendees on iPads at a meeting in May. The idea is that the attendees will get a free iPad and on that will be everything they need for the next 2 days meetings.

We can not guarantee network connectivity so we need something that is offline. This will be PowerPoint style presentations rather than text documents.

The idea is that the attendees can follow along or even read before or after, everything that was presented at the meeting.

Is there a way to do this using HTML5 and an offline database?
Is there an existing iPhone app that would allow the viewing of presentations that we could somehow pre-push to the device?
Anything else creative?
Create an iPhone app with all this in it?
Cost is not really a huge factor.

Appreciate all the creative thoughts here....
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 12:46 PM

You could just put the PDFs onto the iPads via the standard picture app from Apple if you wanted. You could also try and hire a firm or person to make you an iPhone app quickly. If you convert the PDFs into a format that iWork uses, you could do that as well, and people would be able to take notes along with your content.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 12:48 PM

How can I get an invite to that meeting ?

-t

Cold Warrior
Feb 23, 2010, 07:14 PM

one option: load up the dropbox app and mark the files as favorites -- they'll be saved locally in the dropbox app.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2010, 07:20 PM

You can load files onto the iPads using Air Sharing as well.

PDFs will display just fine on the iPod touch/iPhone already, and AFAIK, Keynote presentations and PowerPoint docs will, as well.

Cold Warrior
Feb 23, 2010, 07:25 PM

I've seen slight formatting issues with some PPT on iPhone, but in general the representation is good. I'm sure you'll test them in advance, so if it doesn't display as you want, just save the PPT as pdf.

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2010, 06:03 AM

All - thanks for the input so far.

I have done a bit of digging around based on your ideas and it looks like I have a couple of options.

1. Use a off the shelf reader app like Air Sharing, Drop Box or Good Reader. I played with Good Reader and it's got some pretty good features and the price is a bit cheaper than Air Sharing. The question here is while I can do this for one iPad would I have to manually install and transfer the documents over for 400 iPads or is there a faster way to do this.

2. Create a custom iPhone/iPad app. This is quite appealing as we could really get a good look and feel. Does anyone know of someone who has done such a thing. Is there a sample app I could look at?

Anyone else got some creative ideas? Comments on the above?
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules