Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there any way to get a faster terminal cursor. . .?

Is there any way to get a faster terminal cursor. . .?
gberz3
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 12:26 AM

Hi All,

I'm an OS X / Linux user. In most of my Linux distros, all versions of the "terminal" have fast cursors. I can press left or right and be at the beginning, middle, or end of a long command in a flash. It appears, however, that there is no way to get that kind of cursor movement speed in OS X. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I'm not looking to simply hop spaces. I want a sort of "fast forward", not "skip frames".

Anyone?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 12:37 AM

Have you tried iTerm? I don't think it has a user definable preference for this, but iTerm + control A + control E seem quick to me.

iTerm is better than Terminal anyway... I love having Terminal tabs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 12:48 AM

You can set the key repeat rate in the Keyboard section of the System Preferences. Try setting it to maximum. It's still not quite as fast as you can get on Linux, but it's a lot faster than the default.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 02:33 AM

iTerm is all very well... except that it crashes too much. A terminal application doesn't have to crash very often to be crashing too much.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 03:17 AM

Ctrl-e and ctrl-a work in Terminal as well, fwiw.

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Ctrl-e and ctrl-a work in Terminal as well, fwiw.
As I said, I'm not interested in "skipping frames" I simply want to move forward or backward quickly. I want per-letter accuracy.

Thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
iTerm is all very well... except that it crashes too much. A terminal application doesn't have to crash very often to be crashing too much.
When was the last time you tried iTerm? iTerm used to crash all the time for me too, but I haven't been able to crash the recent versions literally at all, and I live in iTerm. I suggest giving it another chance.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
When was the last time you tried iTerm? iTerm used to crash all the time for me too, but I haven't been able to crash the recent versions literally at all, and I live in iTerm. I suggest giving it another chance.
I still use iTerm (0.9.0) all day every day for my job. It still crashes a couple of times a day. This is a serious pain in the proverbial for a Terminal application. I still use it though, because the Mac OS X Terminal application is so weak. (I've heard the Leopard Terminal application has some significant improvements, and I may switch to it then).

Looking now, I see that iTerm 0.9.5 is available... how did I miss that? downloading now. Will see if it's any better.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 07:14 PM

Brass: it is much better. It also has a functional software update mechanism built in.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 08:12 PM

Brass: it is much better. It also has a functional software update mechanism built in.
Does look better. 'Option' to toggle between new window and new tab makes the menus a little easier to navigate too (particularly the Dock menu which I use all the time). Still doesn't bring new windows to front when creating one from the dock menu though.

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2007, 10:26 AM

Well, I have no problem with the Terminal application otherwise. I've got it customized to the hilt, with items like "bash-completion" installed and the like. I simply need a faster cursor as I originally posted.

Can anyone actually help with that?

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2007, 11:29 AM

. . .not to mention, iTerm doesn't even fix my issue. I need a faster cursor. I want it to move left to right and vice versa faster. iTerm seems to have no setting for this. Instead of creeping across the screen at 25mph, I want it to go about 100mph.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 11:32 AM

Did you try setting your keyboard repeat rate as suggested?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 12:16 PM

Why is it that open source applications always have like 10 pages to click through to get to the actual download?

I guess thats how they pay for development...

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Why is it that open source applications always have like 10 pages to click through to get to the actual download?

I guess thats how they pay for development...
I'm going to have to go with 'poor understanding of what user friendly actually means'. You'll notice Adium has a single click to download, front & center .

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 07:56 PM

Yeah well I guess I can't say ALL open source software. Just a lot of it. "Click here to go to a page that will take you to a page that takes you to that page where there is a link to the page the link is on"

I stopped using versiontracker because of that obnoxiousness.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
I'm going to have to go with 'poor understanding of what user friendly actually means'. You'll notice Adium has a single click to download, front & center .
Well, if you are distributing software that requires a lot of bandwidth, many open source developers will opt to link Sourceforge for the download, and I've always found Sourceforge to be a little awkward, although it has gotten better.

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2007, 01:16 AM

Did you try setting your keyboard repeat rate as suggested?
I did, but that affects everything. I have no problem with other applications, only terminal. Oh well, I suppose I'll have to trade off, but it seems like this should simply be a "cursor option" in Terminal.

Thanks for the input.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 08:06 PM

Does look better. 'Option' to toggle between new window and new tab makes the menus a little easier to navigate too (particularly the Dock menu which I use all the time). Still doesn't bring new windows to front when creating one from the dock menu though.
grrr... latest version of iTerm just crashed on me. It's certainly a big improvement over the previous version I was using, but I just can't afford to have a terminal application that crashes during critical server administration tasks.

Will send the crash log to developers.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2007, 08:30 PM

grrr... latest version of iTerm just crashed on me. It's certainly a big improvement over the previous version I was using, but I just can't afford to have a terminal application that crashes during critical server administration tasks.

Will send the crash log to developers.
That's why using "screen" is a good idea for important tasks... Do you use screen?

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 10:34 PM

That's why using "screen" is a good idea for important tasks... Do you use screen?
No, I've not used it before. Looking at the man page, it looks OK (could be used similarly to what I've used VNC for in the past).

But the point is that it should not be necessary to run screen because my terminal application is unstable. I mean what if "screen" was unstable? My terminal application should be as stable as "screen". I've never seen xterm crash, and iTerm should not crash either.

Having said that, I still love the features of iTerm, and will continue to use it for most things, and will continue to use xterm (usually on Solaris, because my Mac is a laptop) for long running jobs.

EDIT: Actually on second thoughts, 'screen' looks more like a terminal with tabs for people without a GUI.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 PM

Screen is an administrator's best friend. Seriously, it is very useful on any terminal implementation since there is never any guarantees that your machine will stay up and running for the duration of the job.

Basically, screen will allow you to detach your job, close your terminal, even turn off your computer, SSH back in to your remote server, and reattach yourself to the job. Even if you forget to detach your job (control A then control D), if your machine blows up or something your job will still be running on the server and you will be able to reattach yourself to it once your machine is back up and running again.

Screen is built into OS X and most Unix OSes. To use it, all you have to do is SSH into the machine, type "screen", start your job, and press control A control D to deattach yourself from it. To reattach to your session, do a screen -r. There are also ways to toggle between running jobs. In a way, you can think of screen as like having multiple tabs in a single window, if that makes sense.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2007, 12:08 AM

Screen is an administrator's best friend. Seriously, it is very useful on any terminal implementation since there is never any guarantees that your machine will stay up and running for the duration of the job.

Basically, screen will allow you to detach your job, close your terminal, even turn off your computer, SSH back in to your remote server, and reattach yourself to the job. Even if you forget to detach your job (control A then control D), if your machine blows up or something your job will still be running on the server and you will be able to reattach yourself to it once your machine is back up and running again.

Screen is built into OS X and most Unix OSes. To use it, all you have to do is SSH into the machine, type "screen", start your job, and press control A control D to deattach yourself from it. To reattach to your session, do a screen -r. There are also ways to toggle between running jobs. In a way, you can think of screen as like having multiple tabs in a single window, if that makes sense.
I agree that it looks useful. And would make a good work around for the instability of a terminal application. But it's disappointing that I can't rely on the stability of a terminal application. It should be just as stable as screen, and my workstation should be just as stable as the server (my solaris workstation sure is, and my Mac OS X workstation hasn't crashed in a couple of years).

So I can see the use for screen as a convenience if I want to log out of my workstation, etc (I used to use VNC for this sort of thing). But using screen as a workaround for the instability of a terminal application is a very sad thing to have to do (but looks like it may be necessary if I want to use iTerm).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 12:13 AM

Agreed...

However, I've had Apple's Terminal crash on me too. I don't know why some terminal implementations are crashy, and I agree that ideally it would be wise to be able to fully trust them as well as the stability of your system as a whole. However, I still recommend using screen for running important tasks on any system.

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2007, 01:01 AM

Screen is an administrator's best friend.

. . .

Basically, screen will allow you to detach your job, close your terminal, even turn off your computer, SSH back in to your remote server, and reattach yourself to the job.

. . .

OMG! I posted this question about 400 years ago at another forum and was consistently told that this type of thing wasn't possible. If "screen" works as you say it does then it is exactly what I need (for a job completely unrelated to this thread )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by gberz3 View Post
OMG! I posted this question about 400 years ago at another forum and was consistently told that this type of thing wasn't possible. If "screen" works as you say it does then it is exactly what I need (for a job completely unrelated to this thread )
Wow... screen has been around for 400 years too, I didn't know it was that well kept a secret

Here is a basic screen tutorial:

GNU Screen: an introduction and beginner's tutorial || kuro5hin.org

Looks like the detach key command is control A then D, not control A then control D (although this works too)

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2007, 04:55 PM

gberz3,

As far as moving the cursor quickly goes, most shell users define
ctrl left-arrow and ctrl right-arrow to jump from word-to-word.

The following lines are in my ~/.bashrc file.
[another place to put it could be ~/.inputrc]
[codex]
# - readline bindings:
bind '"\e[5D": backward-word' # control left arrow
bind '"\e[5C": forward-word' # control right arrow
[/codex]

These old macosxhints should still be relevant:

Make Terminal.app key mappings work in bash
How to paste Escape sequences in Terminal's preferences
-HI-

gberz3  (op)
Forum Regular