Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Format External HD FW +HFS and FAT32

Format External HD FW +HFS and FAT32
abeato6
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2007, 10:29 PM

well i just bought a 500 gigs external HD fw400 and usb... I want to format it so i can make backups in my mac and another partitions to store files that can be accessed both in mac and pc... eermm disk utility is my best bet? and if so, what should I be careful about?.. the drive came with 3 folders "autorun, Mac, WD_Windows_Tools"...
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Macola
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 04:21 PM

Disk Utility will do the job. I've heard of problems with having both HFS and FAT partitons on a disk, but haven't experienced any personally.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2007, 04:24 PM

It should be fine to use disk utility to format it this way - nothing to worry about really, just use disk utility to set it up the way you want.

Dr. DDS
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2007, 07:47 AM

I've being using a 250Gb external HD for 2 years with 2 HFS partitions and one Fat32 and never had a problem.
I used Disk Utility.
Remember that formating = erase in Disk Utility and Fat 32 = DOS
14" ibook g4 /1,42Ghz/60Gb/1,5Gb RAM!

abeato6  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2007, 08:30 PM

ok thanks guys, i did the formatting... 120 gigs HFS and the rest on FAT32... it works charming, i use SuperDuper for backups and they really are bootable! I even tried it, now i really feel safe with my files!
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by abeato6 View Post
ok thanks guys, i did the formatting... 120 gigs HFS and the rest on FAT32... it works charming, i use SuperDuper for backups and they really are bootable! I even tried it, now i really feel safe with my files!
ahahaha.. beato eso parece un anuncio de esos funny! (english: beato that sounds as a funny advertisement!)... I really like the last part: "i use SuperDuper for backups and they really are bootable! I even tried it, now i really feel safe with my files!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules