Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 4 is ugly, and bookmark window is half blocked

Safari 4 is ugly, and bookmark window is half blocked
Curiosity
Senior User
Jun 11, 2009, 01:59 AM

I just got the new Safari 4. It does not theme with Shapeshifter with Tiger, and it will not use the stylesheet I set up to use with it. Why?
There is a big black box taking up half the space on the bookmarks page. How do I get rid of that?

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 11, 2009, 03:57 AM

Most people seem to like Safari 4, but I count myself amongst those displeased with it.

Anyway, to reduce that goofy black area, look for the three short lines in the center at the bottom of the black area. Click, hold, and drag upwards. You'll end up with just a small black area and will actually be able to see your bookmarks.

Hope this helps.

Tiresias
Jun 11, 2009, 05:31 AM

I agree. It's pretty fugly.

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2009, 12:46 PM

Thanks very much. That black area is much smaller now. I wish it would use my stylesheet, though. I have Safari set to open at about:blank, and that page used to be coloured. It is now white.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2009, 03:52 PM

How is it any uglier than Safari 3?

Curiosity  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2009, 01:18 AM

Easily. It is now all grey and white, with even the menu bar and title bar being almost white. My stylesheet is being ignored, which means that the blank page I set as my home page is now white instead of light green.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
How is it any uglier than Safari 3?
Because the OP has hacked their system with Shapeshifter. Which pretty much answers their original question - how do you solve the problems like the big black box in bookmarks? Don't use the hack. Continue using the hack and you will continue to have the problems, unless the supplier of the hack fixes it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2009, 07:15 AM

Actually, JKT, the big black box in bookmarks is a feature and it is NOT a result of any hacks.

Apple likes to call it "CoverFlow".

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2009, 07:57 AM

Ah, my bad... from the description it sounded like a graphical artefact similar to what they were seeing in the toolbars, etc.

putrid
Jun 14, 2009, 02:34 AM

I got the upgrade and was surprised with the big black box myself. Then it started to show web pages like album covers in iTunes. Being new to Mac it took a bit to find out how to reduce it. I can understand the usefulness of this in iTunes. But why the web? And the new 'Top 10 Sites' feature. I think Apple is getting addicted to eye candy. LOL

I have noticed that some keyboard short cuts no longer work with the upgrade.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2009, 05:30 AM

I'd like to see it before I upgrade.

Any links?

PS: did they plug the security leaks?

putrid
Jun 14, 2009, 01:06 PM

Veltliner, if you use coverflow in iTunes it looks just like that. Just picture the reduced area of your screen as the web addresses you can see.

One thing I have noticed in the top ten page. This would effect anyone who has linked to pages within a site instead of it's home page. The top ten page will show it's home page and not the page you've bookmarked. I use 'Auctionzip.com to do a quick look for local sales. Saved pages within the web site done by local auctioneers. So if I was to use the top ten feature I'd click on the picture, type in the auctioneer or company name and go to that page. Or I can just click on a book mark and be there. I'm lazy. The eye candy isn't really worth the extra effort.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by putrid View Post
One thing I have noticed in the top ten page. This would effect anyone who has linked to pages within a site instead of it's home page. The top ten page will show it's home page and not the page you've bookmarked.
This is not true for me, at all.

All of my top site pages directly display the web page I've bookmark, and that includes the "get new posts" function of these forums displaying the search results right in the top sites.

In fact, I've had to remove some forums from my top sites because opening a new page would cause Top Sites to load a search for new posts since last visit, which would then mean that I wasn't shown those the next time I actually voluntarily loaded the page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules