Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple- Ambition vs. Progress

Apple- Ambition vs. Progress
dr.george
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 07:57 PM

I think Apple is getting more and more ambitious with time. I bet they have 1.5Ghz dual G4s inside those labs. They just make this little "Mhz boosts" to make us spend every single penny we have.

Why dont they make the company progress with more competitive PMs updates so they could be a par with PCs desktops and make us happier and a more competitive company with PCs market.

Thats my point of view of Apple.

iMac 20 Core Duo 2.0 Ghz / 1 GB RAM / 250 GB / ATI X1600

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2002, 01:45 PM

I think they just have too much 7455 chips in stock (or Moto can't send them enough 7470 parts) and have to get rid of them. The new Mobo looks like it's ready for a full DDR FSB chip, and can be upgraded w/Gigawire and USB2 when necessary...my opinion anyway...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Aug 14, 2002, 05:08 PM

It's just that most Mac users fail to see the benefits of the PowerMacs and choose to focus on somewhat meaningless metrics like how many megahertz a Proc has or why doesn't Apple support ATA-133. Apple designs computers to work..not calm the fears of some numbers obsessed geek.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by hmurchison2001:
It's just that most Mac users fail to see the benefits of the PowerMacs and choose to focus on somewhat meaningless metrics like how many megahertz a Proc has or why doesn't Apple support ATA-133. Apple designs computers to work..not calm the fears of some numbers obsessed geek.
Not being able to use 160 or 200GB HDDs in the brand new PowerMacs is a pretty serious problem if you ask me.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2002, 07:55 PM

ATA100 limitation is due to some addressing issue that can be fixed by a simple firmware flash...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 08:03 PM

I won't hold my breath on Apple producing the update. Not all IDE controller chips are capable of such a change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules