Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about jag 6C87 (or maybe C92)...

Question about jag 6C87 (or maybe C92)...
Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2002, 11:22 PM

...someone on macrumors posted that they had heard this:

"iTunes is going to be updated in Jaguar to handle WAV and AIFF encoding, you'll see that in this build....now you can rip a CD into WAVs and turn WAVs into MP3's..." (this build refers to 87)

I was wondering if someone would test it to see whether the rest of the conversation is worth anything, or if it's made up. If it's true... we may see some cool stuff at MWNY.

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2002, 11:47 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
<strong>...someone on macrumors posted that they had heard this:

"iTunes is going to be updated in Jaguar to handle WAV and AIFF encoding, you'll see that in this build....now you can rip a CD into WAVs and turn WAVs into MP3's..." (this build refers to 87)

I was wondering if someone would test it to see whether the rest of the conversation is worth anything, or if it's made up. If it's true... we may see some cool stuff at MWNY.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">this ability is already available in itunes 2.0 running under os 10.1.x. simply go the itunes preferences and click the 'importing' tag, change the import engine from mp3 to .wav or .aiff

cheers,

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2002, 12:47 AM

The capability I'm looking for is to input analog music, ie. cassette or album, and encode it into wav's or AIFF's. I use a PC for this now using Roxio's spin doctor software.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2002, 01:30 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by ryarber:
<strong>The capability I'm looking for is to input analog music, ie. cassette or album, and encode it into wav's or AIFF's. I use a PC for this now using Roxio's spin doctor software.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There are a several programs that will allow you to do this in OS X. Look on versiontracker. I've been using Audiocorder and AudioX.

Cheers
Scott

vasu
Senior User
Jul 13, 2002, 05:46 AM

and of course there's Spin Doctor for the mac too...

-vasu

OreoCookie
Jul 13, 2002, 06:55 AM

iTunes is already able to encode AIFFs.

I think even from the first version on. And btw it has nothing to do with Jaguar, it's a question about iTunes.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Catfish_Man  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2002, 02:04 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by OreoCookie:
<strong>iTunes is already able to encode AIFFs.

I think even from the first version on. And btw it has nothing to do with Jaguar, it's a question about iTunes.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">The rumor had said that it was a new feature, so it would only be present in late Jag builds. Since it's not, it sorta discredits the rest of the rumor. Oh well.

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2002, 05:59 AM

i don't have anything to say 'cept... midwinter, i win!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2002, 06:37 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by OreoCookie:
<strong>iTunes is already able to encode AIFFs.

I think even from the first version on.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Not from external sources - only from files that are already on your hard disk or on CD.

What a lot of people are wanting is *direct* encoding to .mp3. Hook your iBook up to your friend's stereo to .mp3 that LP directly, or record .mp3's directly from the built-in microphone to record seminars and lectures.

Of course, this would *really* rock on the iPod.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules