Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > 2D on Quartz Extreme

2D on Quartz Extreme
Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 03:55 PM

This interview ( http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=240 ) mentions a Panther feature called "2d on Quartz Extreme", which apparently provides improved drawing performance for apps that use it. I haven't been able to find ANY info on this. Is it under NDA, or just not being publicized much (or is the ATI guy completely wrong about its existence)?
( Last edited by Catfish_Man; Jul 4, 2003 at 04:45 PM. )

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 04:40 PM

Yes, what is he talking about.

glCopyTexSubImage2D() was accelerated (for rectangle textures, which is what Quartz Extreme needs) in the 10.2.5 ATI drivers.

Getting Quartz 2D content accelerated via GL would seem to require an awful lot of work beyond texel copies. For instance, accelerating NSBezierPath with hardware lines (and emulating all the miter joining et cetera, since current hardware can't do it natively.)

Catfish_Man  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
Yes, what is he talking about.

glCopyTexSubImage2D() was accelerated (for rectangle textures, which is what Quartz Extreme needs) in the 10.2.5 ATI drivers.

Getting Quartz 2D content accelerated via GL would seem to require an awful lot of work beyond texel copies. For instance, accelerating NSBezierPath with hardware lines (and emulating all the miter joining et cetera, since current hardware can't do it natively.)
That was my understanding. I can't begin to think how hard it would be to do text in OpenGL, for example. Perhaps it only works for very limited functions (which would be why it requires explicit activation from the program). Still, if NSBezierPath is accelerated, my program will go a lot faster

Forum Links
Forum Rules