Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A-Rod comming to the Yankees!

A-Rod comming to the Yankees!
rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 10:44 PM

It's been all over the news radio today. Started as rumors and inuendo Saturday and few people paid any attention. But today they announced that the deal was done and the last remaining hurdle was Bud Selig's approval. That is expected tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday at the latest.

When Clemens retired I said "good riddance." Yeah, he's one of the greatest pitchers of all time, there's no arguing that. His leaving weakened the pitching staff, no doubt about it. But for years as a Red Sox we all called him a head-hunting scvmbag and built up some pretty intense hatred for him. Then, just because he donned the pinstripes we were supposed to forget all of that?! Not me. I never wanted him around no matter how good he was. Of course, with a pitching staff full of all-stars that was easy to say. The Yanks were a powerhouse before he came and would be after he was gone as well. Then Pettit left and I got worried. George made a few moves and got some other talented pitchers to fill the holes but there are lots of question marks with the new guys. If they're healthy, and if they play up to their potential, maybe they can equal Clemens and Pettit, or at least come close.

But now here comes A-Rod! With this lineup they can simply outscore anyone else. Give up 6 or 7 runs but score 12 or 13. Works for me!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 10:55 PM

As a Mariner fan who watched A-Rod go to Texas, I'm quite happy to see him go to the Yankees. A-Rod played pathetically for the Rangers, I hope he can only do the same for the Yankees.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 10:58 PM

hell yeah

wait till the MacNN bostonians get a load of this thread!!!!!

I'm having a partial orgasm typing this line-up:

1. Kenny Lofton
2. Derek Jeter
3. A-Rod
4. Jason Giambi
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Bernie Wiliams
7. Jorge Posada
8. Hideki Matsui
9. Some P*ssy

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 11:11 PM

Toooooooo much information there, bud

Lets see I am Bostonian (though the Braves are my team) and I must say that the Yankees have a pretty good line up. The Red Sox have a great rotation this year. It should make for a great season.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 11:19 PM

Well, they BETTER win now. It'll be the biggest choke in history if the Yankees can't do it with that lineup.

I don't see how this is any good for baseball. Having a team that can have a payroll that is seven times more than others in the league is a blatant competitive advantage. Baseball's business structure is a joke.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2004, 11:24 PM

a side effect of this is my opinion on derek jeter. i always liked jeter but i always found myself rooting for others more. perhaps because it was always assumed jeter is the best player on the team with ALL thing included including star power and pure fame. so i would say that soriano was one of my favs in 2002 and nick johnson last year. always give props to long timers like bernie as well as a pure fascination with free agents like giambi.

HOWEVER, now with the biggest dog in the f*cking park coming over to play 3rd... i think Derek Jeter just crossed the threshold from "like" to "legend" in my eyes. i always have a soft spot for the underdogs and watching DJ play with A-Rod here is going to be great. DJ will never reach A-Rod's numbers and likely A-Rod will command more attention from this day forward, but the current Yankee captain has already proved his worth to me.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
hell yeah

1. Kenny Lofton
2. Derek Jeter
3. A-Rod
4. Jason Giambi
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Bernie Wiliams
7. Jorge Posada
8. Hideki Matsui
9. Rickey Henderson
#9 spot is looking good....

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Well, they BETTER win now. It'll be the biggest choke in history if the Yankees can't do it with that lineup.
It will only be a choke if the Yankees don't make the playoffs and post their usual league-leading profits.
I don't see how this is any good for baseball. Having a team that can have a payroll that is seven times more than others in the league is a blatant competitive advantage. Baseball's business structure is a joke.
Are you in favor of players not being able to earn what the market is willing to pay?

The truth is, if the Yankees cut their payroll in half, their owner would pocket another $100 million this year, and maybe for another year or two, then as the team began to dive, their customer base would go absolutely nuts and revolt.

Baseball teams are individual businesses, each with their own customer base. Restricting one franchise from satisfying its customer base for the sole purpose of holding down salaries so that other, less business-savvy franchises can employ higher skilled labor at a deflated cost is ridiculous.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 01:07 AM

hell yeah

1. Kenny Lofton
2. Derek Jeter
3. A-Rod
4. Jason Giambi
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Bernie Wiliams
7. Jorge Posada
8. Hideki Matsui
9. Some P*ssy
Try winning without a lefty starter... not happening, buddy.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 01:09 AM

a side effect of this is my opinion on derek jeter. i always liked jeter but i always found myself rooting for others more.... i think Derek Jeter just crossed the threshold from "like" to "legend" in my eyes. i always have a soft spot for the underdogs and watching DJ play with A-Rod here is going to be great. DJ will never reach A-Rod's numbers and likely A-Rod will command more attention from this day forward, but the current Yankee captain has already proved his worth to me.
Jeter is about as clutch a player as anyone in the game. Heck, in the World Series, i recall one specific time that he didn't get "that hit". The rest of the team was standing around, almost as if they expected Jeter to get the big hit late in the game. I remember being pissed at that, mostly because it looked like he was the only one (hitter) who was actually trying to step up and win.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 01:22 AM

AHHA
Oh man
3 words for Boston Fans

Aaron "fricken" Boone

not once....
BUT TWICE!!

A-Rod wouldn't even be in the picture if freakin' Boone didn't hurt himself...
Aaron Boone...
ahh worth his weight in gold.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
It will only be a choke if the Yankees don't make the playoffs and post their usual league-leading profits.
Get real. If the Yankees don't win the Series it'll be a colossal failure. You think The Boss is paying all that money to lose in the playoff's? To the Sox?

Originally posted by spacefreak:
The truth is, if the Yankees cut their payroll in half, their owner would pocket another $100 million this year, and maybe for another year or two, then as the team began to dive, their customer base would go absolutely nuts and revolt.

Baseball teams are individual businesses, each with their own customer base. Restricting one franchise from satisfying its customer base for the sole purpose of holding down salaries so that other, less business-savvy franchises can employ higher skilled labor at a deflated cost is ridiculous.
Revenue sharing. Every organization coming out of the gate at the same place. That's fair. Right now, it's like one of those track & field races where they stagger the runners in different lanes except here it's the Yankee's, and a couple others, who are way out in front and have the inside lanes.

Baseball teams are not individual businesses. They are an organization that mutually benefit each other. How valuable would the Yankees be if the other 29 teams folded? Not much. They need each other. And they need each other to be viable competitive units in order to make the games worth attending. Comparing them to normal competitive industries who don't have anti-trust exemption is fallacious and ridiculous.

You can't honestly say that a team that outspends it's opponents by, in some cases, a margin of almost 7 to 1 doesn't have a competitive advantage? That's just denial. That's just in on-the-field payroll too. That's not counting the money they can throw at peripheral area such as management, scouting, and farm systems.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 01:46 AM

God I hate that team.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:

God I hate that team.
its so easy to hate the best,

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
Then I would have to hate the Marlins. But I don't.

Its funny because ever since the Yankees started trying to buy Championships a few years ago they haven't won one. The 1996-2000 teams had some sort of chemistry and played well together but these new Yankees just get the hottest free agent or trade for players with outrageous salaries.

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that the amount that the Yankees will be paying out in luxury taxes is the equivalent of the DRays entire payroll? I know I do.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 03:54 AM

Then I would have to hate the Marlins. But I don't.

Its funny because ever since the Yankees started trying to buy Championships a few years ago they haven't won one. The 1996-2000 teams had some sort of chemistry and played well together but these new Yankees just get the hottest free agent or trade for players with outrageous salaries.

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that the amount that the Yankees will be paying out in luxury taxes is the equivalent of the DRays entire payroll? I know I do.

you don't play a sport to "play fair" in relation to the other team or "simply try your best"
you play a sport the win. Period.

The Yankees want to win, thats what they do, and thats what they know...no crime there. so don't cry "there is no fair competition" when seeing as no laws/rules are being broken...its all completly fair. The Red Sox went out and bought 1/2 their team last year...what'd that give them? Apparently nothing...why not point fingers at them? they just bought themselves a team...isn't that "not fair" to the other teams that couldn't do that based on their lack of money? Oh wait...it doesn't count because they didn't win a World Series? hu?...or did it not count because they aren't the Yankees...then what happens now? Curt and an attempt at great attempt at A-Rod...isn't that not fair in some people's eyes?

don't hate The Yankees...hate MLB and the Player's Union...the yankees aren't breaking any rules with this trade, its all by the rules.hate the system or better yet, hate the fans that pay the Yankee's sallery...ever thought of that? they aren't hated by everyone! their money comes from somewhere...or just accept the greatness that is New York Pinstripes.

cal4ever
Feb 16, 2004, 06:59 AM

hell yeah

1. Kenny Lofton
2. Derek Jeter
3. A-Rod
4. Jason Giambi
5. Gary Sheffield
6. Bernie Wiliams
7. Jorge Posada
8. Hideki Matsui
9. Some P*ssy
maybe you can take away bonds if you want. he's one of the greatest baseball players of time, true, but he's eating up our...i meant...the giant's salary. i'm sure magowan can find better ways to spend the money--getting younger or other players, maybe (who doesn't bomb like alfonzo!!!) besides, the yankess have all the money in the world to buy anything in baseball...except of course a world series. jk ah, who am i kidding, the giants choked more than the yankees last year. oh, the pains of being a giants fan. (and i mean sf giants btw)

cal4ever
Feb 16, 2004, 07:01 AM

No, it's not that it's easy to hate the best... it's just so easy to hate teams that don't develop any of their players (except for maybe one or two) and buy everybody else's best players...ah, same reason i hate the raiders...but their players are mostly has beens. wow, am i going to be flamed for this one! I'm a girl, go easy on me

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 09:55 AM

Eh, who cares. They're going to choke this year against the Cubs anyway.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! No I haven't been drinking.

Matt Fahrenbacher

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
#9 spot is looking good....

If the yankees did have rickey...

i'd put him at #1 because that's where he belongs

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 10:51 AM

Okay, since none of the other Sox fans have really taken the bait, i'll go for it.

1. Jeter is overrated. Defensively, he is a sieve, and if he was half the class act he's painted out to be, he'd switch off with Rodriguez. You know, the gold glove winner?

2. espn's jim caple has an amusing take on it, particularly noting the sweetheart terms of this deal and many others in the past year. it's unfortunate that the red sox gave the yanks this idea. the sox couldn't do it, because they just flat out, couldn't spend any more (if not this year, then next year, when the contracts of martinez, garciaparra, lowe, varitek, et. al. come due). it's hard to think that way now, but they made the right decision. i'd rather have them be able to keep 75% of those guys than have a-rod and keep one of them.

3. It was rightly pointed out by some that, offensively, you can argue rodriguez is a replacement for soriano, and in those terms, not really that big an upgrade. but you can also argue that soriano was pretty well figured out by the league towards the end of last season, and was a strikeout machine (imho, the rangers got thoroughly ripped off, from a player perspective--they should've asked for contreras).

4. it's worth noting that the red sox have better pitching this year. not only that, but they have relief pitching and defense that will make their starters better than they are on paper from last year. remember that lowe, wakefield, especially martinez, and even john burkett had victories snatched away by the bullpen last year.

5. the yankees are still OLD. williams has been a liability in the field of late. giambi always was, and it remains to be seen how well he comes back from surgery. kevin brown is a question as well.

6. the sox' offense is largely unchanged from last year's record-breaking pace. even if mueller and ortiz drop off a bit, you can expect better years out of garciaparra, damon, millar, and even nixon, who still has room for improvement (or may be platooned some with ellis burks).

7. both teams will have to work hard to win games they took for granted two years ago. the devil rays, orioles, and blue jays all look to be improving, the orioles dramatically so. the al east is probably going to be the most exciting division in baseball.

sorry to disappoint the yankee fans, but people around here are pissed, but also more importantly, seem to be excited still for what promises to be a great season...

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 11:02 AM

People are complaining that the Yankees are spending so much money. It's also that the other teams are NOT spending so much money. The Red Sox COULD have had A-Rod if they were willing to put out the coin but the weren't. So they didn't get him. Money DOESN'T buy Championships. Just look at the last 2 years. It helps, but it is not guarantee that they will win the Championship.

I'm a die-hard Yankees fan And while I love this deal but part of me is also askin why? They don't need A-Rod. But if you have the chance to get the Best player in the game would you turn it down? Also a question that I heard posed this morning. If George Steinbrenner was the owner of a smaller market team but still had his resources would you be complaining if he went out and spent the money to put a winner on the field? I doubt it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 11:31 AM

go Tigers!

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 11:41 AM

How many of the players on the Yankees roster came out of their system? How many recently? I don't much care if a team wants to buy their way to the post-season, but the habitual rent-a-team philosophy can't be good for their farm system.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2004, 12:14 PM

If the yankees did have rickey...

i'd put him at #1 because that's where he belongs
A starter over Lofton, eh? Wow, that's says alot...

P.S. I guess the Royals will have some competiton now afterall in the AL....

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
go Tigers!
Right on. Pudge will lead us to the promised land.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 01:15 PM

I think that Hate is a little too strong. The Yankees have a great team, they should be admired. It's the Red Sox's own fault. They had a chance to have A-Rod. As usual with the owners money comes first last and always. Until they focus on winning and not money, they will continue to just do enough on the field to keep Fenway full WITH THE HIGHEST PRICES IN THE COUNTRY!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
If George Steinbrenner was the owner of a smaller market team but still had his resources would you be complaining if he went out and spent the money to put a winner on the field? I doubt it.
That's the point. Small market teams don't have the resources that big market teams do. The Yankees have so much money because they have local radio and TV contracts that generate hundreds of millions of dollars for them. Small market teams like, KC, Milwaukee, Tampa Bay, etc don't have that type of revenue. And it doesn't matter whether the owner has deep pockets or not. That's is usually only a temporary situation, Look at the Texas Rangers for example. Hicks (the owner) came in and started spending way more than the club generates. Losses pile up and those owners are quick to cut payroll to bring financial sanity to the franchise. Why do you think they're so eager to unload A-Rod?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Lets see I am Bostonian (though the Braves are my team)
Wow... You never could forgive the Braves for moving to Milwaukee, huh?

You can't really be too upset with Steinbrenner. Since there's no salary cap in baseball, he can spend money as fast as the team can make it. Even if the Yankee's payroll tops $200 mil this year, I'm sure George isn't paying for anything out of his own paycheck.

If the Players Union hadn't insisted that A-Rod's contract couldn't be renegotiated downward, he'd be playing for the Sox, after all. I don't understand that. That contract was ridiculously huge in the first place, and A-Rod should have the right to take a pay cut if he chooses to. Not letting him do that pretty much guaranteed that the Yankees were the only team he could possibly be traded to, because they're the only team with that much spare change.

The Players Union simply has too much power in baseball -- the reason why there's no salary cap is that they want salaries to keep increasing year after year. But not every team can spend $200 mil on players and stay solvent. Contrast this with the NFL, where there is not only a salary cap, but long-term contracts are only really guaranteed for two or three years under certain circumstances. That, combined with the common TV money, puts all of the NFL teams on equal footing. And it shows in the quality of the games.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 01:51 PM

pudge or not, go Tigers!

been a season ticket holder for sometime now.

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 01:59 PM

Everyone needs to understand. The two priorities the Yankee organisation are the following:

1. Win the World Series.

2. Stick it to the Red Sox.

Not to make everyone else happy, or whatever.

And really, as a diehard, lifelong New Yorker-Yankee fan who's lived through the bad times as well as the good times, I am tickled that we got A-Rod. I know it's obscene, and if the Red Sox hadn't fallen over themselves to try get get him, I'd be a little concerned.

But hey, the Sox could still win it all. But they could also figure out a new and even more painful way to lose. A-Rod going deep off Schilling in the bottom of ninth of game seven of the ALCS to win it anyone? Better yet, the ball bouncing off Manny's head into the stands a la Canseco... No way they leave Schilling in that long you say?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
pudge or not, go Tigers!

been a season ticket holder for sometime now.
I salute you residentEvil. You gotta stay by your team. No matter how bad. I was born in around Detroit and the Tigers have always been one of my loves. Went to the my first game at the old Tiger Stadium. We moved to CA when I was in 6th grade and I've come to love the SF Giants now. My dream is a Tigers-Giants WS. I'm so glad the Tigers have decided to spend some money now. They won't be contenders but they'll be halfway decent at least.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Dubya's Dealer:
Everyone needs to understand. The two priorities the Yankee organisation are the following:

1. Win the World Series.

Not to make everyone else happy, or whatever.
I once read that Steinbrenner wants his team to win all the time, but the games he really wants to win are against the Red Sox, Mets, and Devil Rays (he's originally from Tampa).

The Yankees are playing totally by the rules that the players union and owners agreed to. They can't be faulted because they have more resources than other teams, and the current structure lets them use those resources fully. If ownership is serious about competitive balance, they's make the players accept a salary cap, pure and simple.

There was a NYT article today with this quote that sums things up nicely:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/16/sp...ll/16CHAS.html

"I respect them," Mark Shapiro, the Cleveland general manager, said. "I don't begrudge them. Within the standards and rules they've got, they're making a great deal that will make them a better team. There's the competitive balance issue, but that's not their problem. I don't know why they should be expected to restrain themselves. They're playing by the rules and doing a good job within those rules."

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:

The Yankees are playing totally by the rules that the players union and owners agreed to. They can't be faulted because they have more resources than other teams, and the current structure lets them use those resources fully. If ownership is serious about competitive balance, they's make the players accept a salary cap, pure and simple.

There was a NYT article today with this quote that sums things up nicely:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/16/sp...ll/16CHAS.html
Hey, I don't blame the Yankees either. It's ALL of baseballs problem. You can't expect teams with $30-$40 million payrolls to compete with teams spending $150-$200 million for the same 25 guys.

I'd only blame the Yankees if they were the ones holding up revenue sharing because of the profits they're bringing in being a large market east coast team. It's short-sighted to let competitive balance get so out of whack that 9 times out of 10 the higher payroll will win.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 11:11 PM

It's funny because ever since the Yankees started trying to buy Championships a few years ago they haven't won one. The 1996-2000 teams had some sort of chemistry and played well together but these new Yankees just get the hottest free agent or trade for players with outrageous salaries.

1. Win the World Series.

Firstly, I am a Yankees fan, but I view them differently than most people. I am appreciative of the product. Playoff baseball is awesome, and I feel that is the product I am consuming. After the Series loss to Florida, friends of mine who aren't Yankees' fans attempted to rub in the loss. I was just thankful to have been able to enjoy a great postseason rooting for my team.

With that said, I do think this deal was done as a huge "screw you" to the Red Sox nation. Yes, the Yanks are getting a deal on a great player, but they could have gotten a few great players for $16 million/year, even more with Soriano and some cash as trade bait.

I think the team chemistry will suffer. The Yanks now have 2 centerfielders, and A-rod's propensity to whine, go behind players and coaches backs, etc. could be a cancer to the team. Add in the fact that A-Rod likely will not want to be a 3rd baseman for eternity, and fielding-wise, he's statitically better than Jeter, so his politicking for a switch seems inevitable.

Maybe that's why I'm down a little on the deal. I've never claimed Jeter is the best at anything, but he's a class act who performs great in the clutch. And I like the Yankees being 'his' team. Hopefully, he'll be leader enough to put A-Rod and Sheffield in their places if they start with their traditional ********.

I would have liked to have last year's team again. I know that this wasn't possible, but I liked the chemistry of that ensemble. Regardless, they'll be in the hunt as their customer base requires.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 01:16 AM

$190 million is NOT enough.

Yankees are set to sign Greg Maddux apparently. They will probably overpay for him and try to hit the golden $200 million mark.

****ing ridiculous.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 02:13 AM

$190 million is NOT enough.

Yankees are set to sign Greg Maddux apparently. They will probably overpay for him and try to hit the golden $200 million mark.

****ing ridiculous.
what the hell are you talking about?
Boras is currently in talks w/ The cubs and they look to be the best bet thus far as to Maddux's future...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 02:51 AM

what the hell are you talking about?
Boras is currently in talks w/ The cubs and they look to be the best bet thus far as to Maddux's future...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1736923

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 09:03 AM

i wouldn't be suprised to see boras bring maddux to detroit in a mid-season trade IF the cubs get him to start the season.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 09:45 AM

1. Win the World Series.

3. Entertain the Fans
I added #3. And they do a decent job of it.

I would say I would prefer to actually have the Yankees humiliate the BoSox in a 7 game series like last year rather than win the World Series. The WS means less when you have won it 4 times in recent history. Humiliating BoSox is always fun, most especially when Bosox have a good team. (Which they have this year.)

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 11:06 AM

I would say I would prefer to actually have the Yankees humiliate the BoSox in a 7 game series like last year rather than win the World Series.
i take issue with the term 'humiliating'. humiliation is what the marlins dealt the yankees, silly. the only red sox that was actually humiliated was grady little, and rightfully so. anyone who was watching that series could plainly see that the red sox were the better team, and either way, it was a closely matched, entertaining series.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2004, 11:13 AM

I don't believe Maddux is such a big catch anymore...he's not going to give you 20+ wins, so the money being offered to him is insane, oh well...

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 11:25 AM

ehh
i doubt it
what i don't doubt...
Randy Johnson being acquired before the trade deadline once the season begins.
...you watch.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 05:13 PM

ehh
i doubt it
what i don't doubt...
Randy Johnson being acquired before the trade deadline once the season begins.
...you watch.
How do you figure? The yankees don't have any prospects left that would fetch a player of Johnson's caliber. The only way that they can get him is they offer tons and tons of money (like they did in acquiring Aaron Boone) and I don't think selig will let that go down again.

I liked this quote:
Even if the Yankees win the Series, they had to break the $200 million salary mark and destroy the spirit of baseball in order to do it.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2004, 05:54 PM

It amazes me how much the Yankees are willing to spend to not win a world series.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 05:58 PM

All this talk about a Salary cap is stupid IMO. Firstly why should an organization be told that they can ONLY spend so much. If an Owner like George Steinbrenner has the money why shouldn't he be able to spend what it takes to put a winning team on the field.

Also today with the revenue sharing what are the teams whining about? The more the Yankees and the Red Sox and teams like that spend the more money they get. Unfortunately it most of the time doesn't translate into putting the money back into the team and getting some decent players. If that was made a RULE that the money recieved from what a team gets from the revenue sharing should have to go back into the team I then think their would be much more parity in the game.

To me a salary cap is like telling Donald Trump, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs that they can't make more than 200,000. They would need to restucture/ cut things or people in order to stay under the cap. It's just plain stupid. If they have the money why shouldn't they be able to spend it to try and produce the best product. That is all the Yankees are trying to do.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:05 PM

Here's Bill Simmons' take:
... For whatever reason, I didn't flip out. Upon hearing the news that A-Rod had sold his soul, I made the same face that Brett Favre made after Donovan McNabb converted fourth-and-26, crossed with Dr. Loomis's goofy smirk after Michael Myers disappeared at the end of "Halloween." Remember that face? It's the "All right, I should be reeling from this, but I have to admit, that was pretty f*****g impressive" Face.

Anyway, that was me. I'm not standing on the ledge. Not even close. I like this stuff. This escalating Red Sox-Yankees feud was already the most compelling storyline in sports. Now it's even better. This baby is ON...
My feelings exactly.

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
All this talk about a Salary cap is stupid IMO. Firstly why should an organization be told that they can ONLY spend so much. If an Owner like George Steinbrenner has the money why shouldn't he be able to spend what it takes to put a winning team on the field...
Because unlike other industries the Yankees NEED the other organizations in their industry. Without other teams there is no game.

From a purely self-interested point of view the absence of a salary cap really doesn't affact my team much. The Sox aren't far behind the Yankees as far as the money is concerned. And I respect what the Yankees pulled off here. The Rangers are paying them $67 million to take the best player in baseball off of their hands. That's so sick it's cool. Still, there are real problems with the way MLB is run.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
Here's Bill Simmons' take:My feelings exactly.
exactly.

it may turn out same thing as 2003 but curt schilling strikes out the side for a complete game shut out in game 7.

or probably miguel cairo hits a home run in the 12th...

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 07:02 PM

Soriano did hit that homer off Schilling to put the Yankees ahead late in that fabled game seven of the 2001 series. Mariano makes the save and he's a frigging hero and there's no way we trade him.

Somehow that bothers me. Soriano was actually my favorite player on the Yankees. Who's Matsui going to talk to now?

ARod better hit beaucoup bombs against Boston.

Forum Links
Forum Rules